Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 12:17 PM

763 posts, read 2,605,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperCheck View Post
I think I should start a class on how to deal with "Temp" agencies and get a full time permanent job.

There are tiers with Temp agencies, some will take on the lowest employee and the companies that hire from them KNOW this, they are crap jobs paying crap wages.

There are agencies that will only take skilled/semi-skilled workers and/or those that have a good track record with employment, these jobs pay more, sometimes a lot more, and unless stated beforehand, usually end in full-time permanent employment.

When going there, take a look around, this will tell you the type agency it is.

Also for the 6 millionth time, when listing with an agency, list the job you are looking for("anything" will get you just that), you want it to end in full time permanent employment(if that is the case), and what your minimum pay is(again "anything" will get you just that), be reasonable with this figure, and unless it is impossible, do not rule out shift(s) you will work.

My first job out of college was by way of a "temp" agency, they wanted to hire me before the 90 days but were contractually prohibited from doing so(really it was financially prohibitive), I had this job for twenty years, my current job was through a temp agency, the longest a person can be a temp is 45 days at which time you are hired or not, new employees know this going in, we do bring in real temps but they know this and they usually don't want a real job anyway, only beer/drug money, these folks come from the lower tier I spoke of earlier, those that come with the intention of being hired in 45 days come from the upper tier.
Yes, you have agencies that staff ONLY professional positions and you have agencies that staff ONLY warehouse, manufacturing, etc., positions. Then you have those agencies who staff for practically EVERYTHING. That's what my experience was. This agency (claimed they) staffed everything from 2nd shift janitorial workers to Executive Assistants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 07:05 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,434,741 times
I used to like to temp years ago when I was searching for a good fit,though in the meantime I had quite a few peeves with them...

Now I don't know if it's that I'm older or the industry has just gotten worse,they seem to be more interested in drooling over groups of immigrants than us caucasians in our 40s

Old 02-20-2013, 07:20 PM

254 posts, read 597,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I used to like to temp years ago when I was searching for a good fit,though in the meantime I had quite a few peeves with them...

Now I don't know if it's that I'm older or the industry has just gotten worse,they seem to be more interested in drooling over groups of immigrants than us caucasians in our 40s
Yeah there are more people of different races in jobs these days. I see more Asians then ever.
The idea is not to dwell on your age, but what you can give to them in the way of the work. You have the experience they are looking for.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:23 PM

254 posts, read 597,973 times
Now to top it off I have had to show this new guy how things work. There is no formal training here. I was trained mostly by my boss and then someone else remotely by phone on the computer.
He had to put his own computer together. There is no IT here. My boss ordered the computer for him, but never set it up. She also never cleaned out the cube where this chick was before me. I refused to clean it and so I sit in the cube next to it. My boss had to finally clean it up today as he was sitting in her office going over his orientation package.
I just don't want to show him how anything works. I am a temp for christ sake!

Old 02-20-2013, 08:17 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,434,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennStar View Post
Yeah there are more people of different races in jobs these days. I see more Asians then ever.
The idea is not to dwell on your age, but what you can give to them in the way of the work. You have the experience they are looking for.
It's not me dwelling on it,there's apparently something they're no longer seeing in me...

As far as the current types I've seen them hiring,I'm thinking due to the economy they're looking to get off cheap

Old 02-21-2013, 12:18 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,558,083 times
.....I'm assuming white collar right?

You don't temp b/c:

1. "Employers believe you are OK with temping"
2. Something is wrong with you if you've benn temping at too many firms
3. "How come no one hired you?"- what they'll ask
4. Staffing companies profit by NOT finding you a job- in their business model
5. Staffing company takes a HUGE chunk out your salary and you can't negotiate most times
6. NO EMPLOYEE BENEFITS
7. Temp =/= Job

Number 7 is the biggest misconception about temp agencies. Temp is just temp. They exist to find you temporary work. Getting the job depends on you and the company's policies. If a company hired you through a temp agency its b/c its cheaper, highly unregulated, and no strings attatched. Any company if not all that use staffing firms know the deal and exploit the heck out of temp workers. "Sweet I get to underpay a worker, give him no benefits, and I can fire him at will anytime I want." Companies are not looking at temp agencies for full time employees.

Upside is if you got nothing else fine, but don't get trapped in the system. Great way to fill resume gap and get foot in door. Not a great way to elevate your career.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:05 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,583,354 times
Quote:
Now to top it off I have had to show this new guy how things work. There is no formal training here. I was trained mostly by my boss and then someone else remotely by phone on the computer.
He had to put his own computer together. There is no IT here. My boss ordered the computer for him, but never set it up. She also never cleaned out the cube where this chick was before me. I refused to clean it and so I sit in the cube next to it. My boss had to finally clean it up today as he was sitting in her office going over his orientation package.
I just don't want to show him how anything works. I am a temp for christ sake!
Jenn - I realize now that you are just venting and don't really want any advice. I hope things improve for you soon. And I sincerely hope that you are not whining at work!

But for others in the same position, try to see the advantages of your situation. What if you did all of the above? You would now get to put "Trained and oriented new employees" on your resume. If you cleaned out a cube? You might get a recommendation from your boss that includes "Went above and beyond and often did tasks outside her job description."

Old 02-21-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post

Quote:
..... and in our 50's, too!

I know I have the experience they're looking for, but it's getting in there to tell them. I read an article on CNN recently about why it's harder for people over 50 to find jobs and the basic consensus was that employers look at the people in this age group and older as a greater health risk, increasing their insurance premiums because of potential pre-existing health issues and the chance of the person leaving due to health reasons. It all was based on health, which REALLY ticked me off! I had a conversation just yesterday with a 26 year old young lady that used to temp here and recently got a permanent job, and told me that she wanted to work at this new company because they had such great health benefits because she (at 26) had lots of on-going health issues. So, to lump all 50+ people into the "unhealthy" category based solely on their age is horribly discriminatory!

Old 02-21-2013, 07:34 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,583,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
..... and in our 50's, too!

I know I have the experience they're looking for, but it's getting in there to tell them. I read an article on CNN recently about why it's harder for people over 50 to find jobs and the basic consensus was that employers look at the people in this age group and older as a greater health risk, increasing their insurance premiums because of potential pre-existing health issues and the chance of the person leaving due to health reasons. It all was based on health, which REALLY ticked me off! I had a conversation just yesterday with a 26 year old young lady that used to temp here and recently got a permanent job, and told me that she wanted to work at this new company because they had such great health benefits because she (at 26) had lots of on-going health issues. So, to lump all 50+ people into the "unhealthy" category based solely on their age is horribly discriminatory!
[getting a little off topic here...] This irks me to no end!!!! It doesn't even take into account those that have health insurance through another means (say, a spouse). I did apply to one enlightened employer, who gives you an extra $100/month if you don't take health insurance through them.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
[getting a little off topic here...] This irks me to no end!!!! It doesn't even take into account those that have health insurance through another means (say, a spouse). I did apply to one enlightened employer, who gives you an extra $100/month if you don't take health insurance through them.
I realize I that I drove a little to the left of the topic, but the bottom line is even when going through agencies, age may (more times than not) be the determining factor in not hiring someone over 50. Of course, you'll NEVER be told this since it's against the law to discriminate based on age, but it happens ALL the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment