Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 05:41 PM

22 posts, read 35,512 times

Advertisements

On Christmas Eve I received a text message from my employer asking me to stop by sometime that day..so I had to make one last trip out and stopped by there,when I went in I noticed he was acting kinda unusual & he had me take a seat for a minute & said he'd be right there ..
Let me give you a little background ... I first got this job in April 2012 and before I took the job I sat him down and informed him that I'm currently on probation & what I was on probation for .. So he ran my background & spoke to my probation officer .. Found that I have NO other prior history and that I wasn't charged with anything major.. So he hired me .. The job was Private Homehealth Nurse for his wife that suffered from several disabilities & illnesses .. And she has a twin sister.. I bring up the sister because my boss told me the sister is a "drama queen" & for me NOT to mention me being on probation to her... Ok .. No problem...
Now here I was 10mnths later waiting for him,on Christmas Eve.....
The sister somehow found out that I'm on probation and she flew off the handle..kicked & screamed .. Just absolutely throwing a FIT!! She called all of the extended family & told everyone! And she kept on & on .. And her son lives in Arizona and he's an attorney ... So they all got together & ganged up on my Boss & demanded the he let me go .. He stood his ground & defended me but then was threatened by them..saying they would take him to court & fight to have him removed as his wife's power of atty,primer care taker..etc.
now keep in mind .. I had never called in..missed a day..or even came in late..I always stayed late & done many different extra things I wasn't asked to do..just to help out the family...and so in return for all the good that I did.. I got FIRED .. & on Christmas Eve !! How can they do this? Is it even legal?? I've been treated unfairly & fired for no reason at all!! Is there anything that I can do??? I feel so betrayed, I'm very hurt by this whole situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 05:51 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Lots of people get fired for no reason all the time. Of course it is legal.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:03 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
I'm really sorry you got fired, but unfortunately that can happen

My suggestion is to use him as a reference and hope that he'll say nothing but good things about you.

Is the boss a family member? Is he the husband of the person you take care of?

Honestly, I don't know what you did, but IMO it shows that he was reasonable to hire you because he did a background check on you, spoke to your probation officer, etc, but then again, family is family and sometimes people allow themselves to be bullied by family.

I hope you find another job soon.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:11 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
You're lucky you even got a job on probation. When I had a 30 month probation no mfg company would hire me and I suffered 4.5 years of unemployment.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:15 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,553,153 times
Yeah, I would throw a fit if someone on probation was my sister's nurse.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:19 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,010 times
Oh my, sorry to hear this. It sounds like you did a very good job for this family. I can see how it feels like a kick in the teeth. It sounds like the man who hired you was fair minded and wanted to give you a chance after your legal troubles. As much as it sucks, I am fairly certain firing you was legal. The first thing I thought of after reading your post was---how about addressing the situation via a nicely written letter to the whole family? I envision it reading something like this:

Dear ____ Family,

It goes without saying that I was shocked and saddened by my sudden dismissal on Christmas Eve. I have been taking care of <name> for ten months and believed I was doing an excellent job. In fact, I took pride in what I was doing, was careful to see that <name> was receiving the utmost in care and attention. It was my honor to provide a service that so few are really good at and enjoy.

About my legal troubles. I feel that all of you have the right to know more details about why I am on probation. I explained my situation to <lady's husband's name> and we came to an agreement about how I could best help his wife without having my past interfere with her daily care. But let me explain my situation to everyone. <Use this area to explain....>

If you find it difficult to find a replacement caregiver, please know that I would gladly come back to care for <name>. I am also open to answering any questions anyone in the family may have about me or my legal status. I think if we all sit down together, get to know each other better, we can work this out. I sincerely hope you will reconsider your decision. I promise to live up to your expectations and work hard and provide the very best care for <name>. I know it's a lot to ask, but giving someone a second chance is a nobel task that few people are capable of commiting to. But I am asking you, the ___ family, to give me that chance. I will not let you down.

Anyway, you get the gist. They may reconsider---I hope so. It's difficult to find good, reliable people to do this type of work. I suspect they may already regret their hasty decision.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:52 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnutz39 View Post

On Christmas Eve I received a text message from my employer asking me to stop by sometime that day..so I had to make one last trip out and stopped by there,when I went in I noticed he was acting kinda unusual & he had me take a seat for a minute & said he'd be right there ..
Let me give you a little background ... I first got this job in April 2012 and before I took the job I sat him down and informed him that I'm currently on probation & what I was on probation for .. So he ran my background & spoke to my probation officer .. Found that I have NO other prior history and that I wasn't charged with anything major.. So he hired me .. The job was Private Homehealth Nurse for his wife that suffered from several disabilities & illnesses .. And she has a twin sister.. I bring up the sister because my boss told me the sister is a "drama queen" & for me NOT to mention me being on probation to her... Ok .. No problem...
Now here I was 10mnths later waiting for him,on Christmas Eve.....
The sister somehow found out that I'm on probation and she flew off the handle..kicked & screamed .. Just absolutely throwing a FIT!! She called all of the extended family & told everyone! And she kept on & on .. And her son lives in Arizona and he's an attorney ... So they all got together & ganged up on my Boss & demanded the he let me go .. He stood his ground & defended me but then was threatened by them..saying they would take him to court & fight to have him removed as his wife's power of atty,primer care taker..etc.
now keep in mind .. I had never called in..missed a day..or even came in late..I always stayed late & done many different extra things I wasn't asked to do..just to help out the family...and so in return for all the good that I did.. I got FIRED .. & on Christmas Eve !! How can they do this? Is it even legal?? I've been treated unfairly & fired for no reason at all!! Is there anything that I can do??? I feel so betrayed, I'm very hurt by this whole situation.
How much longer is your probation?

Yes, it's wrong, but I'm going to be very honest here, I wouldn't want anyone on parole or probation taking care of ME nor anyone in my family either.

I'm sorry, but it is what it is.

I feel bad for you though. Is there any other kind of work you can do?

What are you on probation for, if you don't mind me asking? You can PM me, if you don't want to list it here.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:22 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
There's always a reason that someone gets fired. Whether or not the terminated person likes it, there is always a reason.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:27 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
I am not trying to be mean, or even all that harsh, but I am going to be honest....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnutz39 View Post
How can they do this? Is it even legal??

Because you are on probation. You are not even that surprised as you knew it could be an issue. You thought you had it handled but the sister found out and caused an issue...this is also not news.

Oh, and yes it is legal.

I've been treated unfairly & fired for no reason at all!!

Really? NO reason? I think everyone reading this knows exactly why you were fired.

Is there anything that I can do???

Find a new job.

Best of luck

I feel so betrayed, I'm very hurt by this whole situation.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:06 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
If your boss (the power of attorney) did not want to fire you and had to because of the wifes crazy family, then it is best to compartmentalize the disappointment, remember that you did everything right, and get in touch with him and politely ask if you can use him for a future reference. Remember, venting to him won't help you in the reference department, but you can, calmly, tell him that you don't think it was right what happened, and that you understand it was not his decision, and you wish it had of worked out differently. Be as understanding and forgiving as possible if you want him as a reference. You can't dwell on this past job, you have to think about what steps are necessary to take to get your next one. Good luck to you, sorry it happened like it did, it doesn't sound like you deserved it, but there are lots of judgmental a-holes in this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment