Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 05:21 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,461,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Suggest that since you were given a written warning you respond in writing simply stating the facts and without emotional embellishment. Ar least that way your disagreement with the warning will be on record.
Always respond in writing and make sure that it gets into your personnel file. Keep a copy for yourself, along with the warning. You never know when you will need it. I think we are seeing an influx of supervisors who have no common sense and no idea how to manage employees, and that is in every industry. Keep your copies at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 05:28 PM

653 posts, read 1,810,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Who are you directing this to and what does it mean?
STT, for thinking you can stand up for your rights, LOL. That there's no such thing as railroading someone...

Haven't I been supporting you in this.

Last edited by Quantum; 09-16-2012 at 05:57 PM..

Old 09-16-2012, 11:42 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,772,541 times
Your EMPLOYER sets the rules, the standards, the limits and the acceptable level of service for the company, not you. No matter how great the customer service; No matter how happy the customer was; No matter what you feel was appropriate or not, your employer is the one who makes those determinations. If it is their belief that you did not act professional according to company policies and procedures, you didn't act professionally.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:19 AM

30,651 posts, read 24,057,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Your EMPLOYER sets the rules, the standards, the limits and the acceptable level of service for the company, not you. No matter how great the customer service; No matter how happy the customer was; No matter what you feel was appropriate or not, your employer is the one who makes those determinations. If it is their belief that you did not act professional according to company policies and procedures, you didn't act professionally.
Yawn.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:56 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,545,964 times
This is a bad sign. They are just looking for junk to write you up on. Completely subjective too. From an employer point of view, you give the needed info, move onto paying customers. You spent too much time with non profit folks, when you need to focus your awesome customer service and time on people who are actually customers. These folks are not paying you to be nice to everyone, just people who spend their money at their business.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:15 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,514,286 times
I work in a call center and deal with this all the time. Some people complain about the process and how it doesn't really help Veterans in a lot of cases. For example: sometimes a problem could be easily fixed by quick calling someone or dropping an email to give a little bit of info to close a Vets file. Or I could easily tell this person to no bother wasting their time because they wouldn't get a specific benefit. That's not my job however. My job is to take down information and channel it through the proper electronic resources. If I got personally emotionally involved in every call, and tried to help on an extra level every time, it would create a twofold problem. For one everyone would have expected that, and nothing would ever get done because every call would be 20 minutes and the downline offices would be bombarded with personal requests. And finally, I would be in trouble for having an incorrect phone call, which would get me fired if too many of those happen. There is a procedure written out clear as day, and as much as I don't like it sometimes, I have no choice if I want to keep my job. I tell my coworkers all the time that we are there to answer the phone and report stuff. If you want to change the world go be a social worker.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:42 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,410,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
What a WONDERFUL story! So, what happened with the manager who chewed you out? Did he/she attend the presentation? Reaction? Did an apology follow? Did the President ever find out about that written warning?

I do not know if the president found out about the written warning.
My department manager sent me a memo stating that the warning was invalidated.
He did not apologize to me nor did he congratulate me on obtaining employee of the year.
Within six months of that occurring he resigned his position and left the company.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:32 AM

24,665 posts, read 70,026,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
STT, for thinking you can stand up for your rights, LOL.
I must have missed the directive which decreed that sticking up for one's self or principles is now deemed ridiculous and cause for laughter. Have a link?

Old 09-17-2012, 08:00 AM

47,525 posts, read 70,021,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I don't want to reveal a lot but it wasn't a service in the way you are thinking. It wasn't about crossing over in to another department's specialty. I know you don't have all the information, like WHAT I do for a living but if you did know, you would understand. That I can guarantee.

But again, I don't want to reveal all of that here...even though I never use my real name...you can never be too careful on the internets.
I think what you have to do now is try to keep your morale up in spite of this, do your best but within the confines of your job description until you can find a better job that lets you stretch your skills.

For now you have a job, it's not the right fit however but it can sustain you until you find another.

It can be somewhat generational too -- you might look for that in your next place of employment. Like it or not the mindset can be different, in this place you may be viewed as a threat which is why someone complained -- like it or not you just have to abide by their rules and try to make it work just until you get a better opportunity.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:01 AM

653 posts, read 1,810,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I must have missed the directive which decreed that sticking up for one's self or principles is now deemed ridiculous and cause for laughter. Have a link?
A link for one of your fantasies? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment