Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 01:53 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Yes. I am. I was told I have two weeks to get my act together. What act?! Yah, this really makes me want to work there...NOT!

For the time being, I'll just do what everyone else does - which is the absolute bare minimum - but the SECOND I find another job, I'm out. I just hope I can find another job...and it pisses me off that I am looking, AGAIN, for work.

I have gone above and beyond in the past for other companies and customers and I have a big, fat binder full of letters from those customers AND the company praising me. I KNOW quality customer service. My customer service is REAL, it's not a phony fake laugh, I actually DO it. And the customers are always happy.

In fact, I asked them, point blank, "Do I have any complaints from customers?" Not a one!

But I'm unprofessional and need to get my act together. Unreal.
That is your best bet. It would be best if you could get a supervisory position in your next job place. And discuss it in the interview how you like to work and make sure it's what they want.

It sounds like this job isn't the right fit for you. Make sure you check the job description and ask how much they want you to stick to it or if you would be allowed to go above it, beyond it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 02:23 PM

11,848 posts, read 5,823,197 times
Sounds like your from the same generation I grew up in. Customer service was #1, works ethics were also desired. These days - if you have either, employers don't know what to make of you. I was nicely let go from my last job due to personality/work ethic conflicts with the office manager. I was always taught that you show up for your job, 10-15 minutes ahead of time and that you be ready to work when the clock struck 8 am - not walking through the door. Since there was no cafeteria or restaurants nearby - I brought my lunch and didn't leave the office for my lunch hour. I'd eat and then continue working - not asking for comp time or extra pay - just something I chose to do - the OM couldn't understand that so had HR talk to me. In the old days - employers would love to have this kind of employee - on time, customer service friendly, puts in 8 hours work for 8 hours pay and conscientious. It's all foreign to them now.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:39 PM

30,282 posts, read 23,772,836 times
Yah...that's what I'm learning. It really does seem like those who do just enough to get by, just what they are required, get promoted or have favor. I have known supervisors who have NO business being supervisors.

You don't yell at an employee in front of everyone else.

If you have a problem with the employee, you should first try to discuss it with that employee before taking it higher up...you ARE the Supervisor, RIGHT?

LEAD by example. Don't be talking about your "getting laid" with a co-worker, IN FRONT OF CUSTOMERS, and then turn around and get on someone for something you think they did that was not professional.

(These are things I've seen, some of them not even in jobs I've had but in places I've gone in to.)

Frankly I think I would be a great manager...I just don't like doing all that paperwork. But as far as leading, I think I would do well.

Whatever, I need to find another job ASAP. I should try to find another government job...but I don't know what to try for. At least there I'll have my veteran status to help a little...doesn't always work out, but it could help a little. Plus they tend to get paid better, not like jobs now that are paying $3-7 LESS than what the job should be paying.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:43 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,388,158 times
I certainly know what you mean!!

In 1992 I received a written warning by my Department manager for taking too much time with a customer on the phone despite the fact that the customer was extremely happy with me doing so and made it clear that he was because of what I did to help him.

My manager said that if I spent that amount of time again with someone I would be fired.

Without me knowing, this customer I assisted wrote a letter to the president of the company commending me on my kindness and professionalism shown to him and in turn would continue to do business with us and recommend us to others.

Due to this letter the president of the company came to our location and gave me employee of the year for what I did.

That's the story of how I was given a written warning and received employee of the year due to assisting a customer in need.

Indeed the most bizarre work related situation that has ever happened to me in my career.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:49 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,360,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I certainly know what you mean!!

In 1992 I received a written warning by my Department manager for taking too much time with a customer on the phone despite the fact that the customer was extremely happy with me doing so and made it clear that he was because of what I did to help him.

My manager said that if I spent that amount of time again with someone I would be fired.

Without me knowing, this customer I assisted wrote a letter to the president of the company commending me on my kindness and professionalism shown to him and in turn would continue to do business with us and recommend us to others.

Due to this letter the president of the company came to our location and gave me employee of the year for what I did.

That's the story of how I was given a written warning and received employee of the year due to assisting a customer in need.

Indeed the most bizarre work related situation that has ever happened to me in my career.

What a WONDERFUL story! So, what happened with the manager who chewed you out? Did he/she attend the presentation? Reaction? Did an apology follow? Did the President ever find out about that written warning?

Old 09-16-2012, 04:40 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,747,591 times
Quote:
STT---last night I was way too emotional. I just signed the thing which does NOT say I agree with it, it just says I was talked to about it. We sat down and talked about it, yes, but the actual paper, I didn't write any rebuttals because it was clear to me in the "conference" that they were not interested in hearing WHY I did what I did. And, with my line of work, there was a VERY DAMN GOOD REASON WHY I did that extra for the person. But they didn't care, I was cut off and yelled at, being told I should have just given them the phone number and let them do it themselves. I never got to finish because after he yelled at me, he glared at me the rest of the time we were there.
That's normal practice to have an employee sign acknowledgement of a written warning. It doesn't mean you agree with it but are simply acknowledging that you've received it. When I had to deliver a warning I always had another manager present so that if the employee refused to sign even the acknowledgement, the manager could attest to the fact that he/she did receive and read it and was given a copy.

But you SHOULD write an official note to be put in your file. Just explain the situation clearly and request that it be put into your HR file (and of course keep a copy). Not a bad idea to have the boss sign it to acknowledgement its receipt. I realize you've only been at the job for a month and that you're planning on looking for another position, but it's always a good idea to CYA, just as you would in any similar dispute in or out of the workplace. Good luck.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
That's normal practice to have an employee sign acknowledgement of a written warning. It doesn't mean you agree with it but are simply acknowledging that you've received it. When I had to deliver a warning I always had another manager present so that if the employee refused to sign even the acknowledgement, the manager could attest to the fact that he/she did receive and read it and was given a copy.

But you SHOULD write an official note to be put in your file. Just explain the situation clearly and request that it be put into your HR file (and of course keep a copy). Not a bad idea to have the boss sign it to acknowledgement its receipt. I realize you've only been at the job for a month and that you're planning on looking for another position, but it's always a good idea to CYA, just as you would in any similar dispute in or out of the workplace. Good luck.
I see what you're saying. Wouldn't that be a fast track to getting canned? It was pretty evident they didn't care to hear the whole TRUE story in our "talk", why would they care to see it written?

Old 09-16-2012, 04:47 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,747,591 times
Quote:
I see what you're saying. Wouldn't that be a fast track to getting canned? It was pretty evident they didn't care to hear the whole TRUE story in our "talk", why would they care to see it written?
Absolutely not. It's your legal right to formally object in writing to a formal written warning - and the main thing is that it's protective armor if and when you ever need to explain to a future employer your version of what happened. Just keep it as short as possible, simply state the facts and just say that under the circumstances you don't believe that the warning was justified.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:00 PM

653 posts, read 1,803,824 times
(LOL, somebody's inexperienced...)

Old 09-16-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
(LOL, somebody's inexperienced...)
Who are you directing this to and what does it mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment