Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:45 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,156,223 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever hear of an employer who won't let you use sick time for anything that is scheduled? For example if you are having surgery or going to appointments you would have to use vacation. If you didn't have the vacation (no carryover year to year on vacation either...use it or lose it) you would have to take the time off with no pay (EVEN IF YOU HAD NOT USED ANY OF YOUR SICK TIME which is 6 days/yr.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 07:49 AM

25,858 posts, read 16,567,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Anyone ever hear of an employer who won't let you use sick time for anything that is scheduled? For example if you are having surgery or going to appointments you would have to use vacation. If you didn't have the vacation (no carryover year to year on vacation either...use it or lose it) you would have to take the time off with no pay (EVEN IF YOU HAD NOT USED ANY OF YOUR SICK TIME which is 6 days/yr.).
Never heard of such a thing. I've told my employer ahead of time I'm taking my wife or child to the Dr and will be using a dependent sick day and no problem. The only sick days I've used in 25 years with this employer is dependent sick days.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:55 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,328,796 times
No, I haven't. That is one of the things sick time is for. Check with your state (or federal) labor people. Forcing you to take vacation when you have sick time may be a violation of some kind. I've never heard of such a thing, so I can't offer any more than that.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:29 AM

30,321 posts, read 23,805,374 times
Agree with the others, that is what personal days and sick days are for.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:55 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,156,223 times
I couldn't believe it either, but it is the policy (no personal days either). I am wondering if there is another company in the entire country with such a policy so keep the responses coming.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:57 AM

501 posts, read 475,096 times
Quote:
I couldn't believe it either, but it is the policy (no personal days either). I am wondering if there is another company in the entire country with such a policy so keep the responses coming.
Its stupid, which is why I've never understood why compnaies dont just combine sick and vacation together and give you 20 days to use at your own discretion.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:11 AM

580 posts, read 2,294,446 times
Quote:

Call off on those days and the problem is solved.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:28 AM

13,410 posts, read 28,770,306 times
Before my company was bought out you could use whatever you wanted for that type of stuff
New company does not give sick time...none....and god forbid you get sick can't use a vacation day and it is marked against you...horrible company horrible..just what I want or need someone dragging themself in and coughing , sneezing around the rest of us

Old 06-27-2012, 10:30 AM

7 posts, read 12,812 times
I suspect that your employer would prefer that you save that time for unplanned/unexpected absences (i.e. calling in sick). While I don't necessarily agree with the policy, it's not completely unfounded. And unfortunately, as frizzo100 stated above, inflexible policies like this encourage employees to lie to get the system to work in their favor.

In my opinion (as well as my employer's), any paid time off that you are allowed (sick, personal, vacation) is YOUR time to use. Use it as you wish. Good luck to you!

Old 06-27-2012, 10:43 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,768,354 times
Are you sure your employer isn't using a system of PTO? It has become very common to give a fixed number of paid time off days for employees to use for sick or vacation days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment