Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:51 PM

254 posts, read 810,074 times

Advertisements

I need some advice. I am currently working as a professional in a contract to hire position. I have been there 2 months. I am working for a technical recruiting firm and I am making $30.00 an hour. I was offered a position today at another company that I interviewed for a few months back as a permanent employee at a 62k a year salary. When I took the contract to hire position, I asked my current boss about what kind of salary would I be offered at the end of 6 months and he replied that they would offer me 60k. I told him that that is less than I am being paid currently. He told me that it would most likely be that because other people in the department have been there a long time and I would be making more than some of them. Sounds like BS and they are being cheap. I currently am not paid for holidays, sick or any vacation (not that I am taking any sick or vacation). I do get benefits through the technical firm but they are expensive and not that great. I do like where I work and love the people. The other job is at a smaller company and in a bit of a different field that I am used to. I will get 2 wks vacay, 401k and 7 sick days plus benefits. The commute is 10 miles vs. 22 miles one way which I am currently driving.
I am worried that after 6 mos., I may not be hired on as there are other temp to hire employee's there who are still temps after being there after a year. From what I hear, most of the employee's at this company are offered a lower rate that what they are making as a temp employee. Why would they do this?
I am 51 and am worried about stability at this point in my life. I am in this position because my former employer shut it's doors. Should I tell the temp to hire job that I have been offered a full time position elsewhere and see if they make me an offer or just take the offer with the other company? Like I said- I really do enjoy the people at this job and I think it's a better fit than the other one. Maybe I'm thinking with my heart and not my head.....
Any Advice, please!

Thank yoU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 10:55 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,396,422 times
Take the firm offer. The one company is stringing you along whereas the other company wants you enough to be willing to say "Hey, we like you come be a permanent part of our team". To me, the other company loses by thinking they could keep you on contract for 6 months and then offer you a position.

I would say you are thinking with your heart. You haven't worked for the other company and I am guessing any "better fit" issues might disappear based on how you feel not having to worry about still being a temp in a year.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:21 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,987 times
I have no opinion as to whether you should take the new job or stick it out with your present employer. However, if it was me and if I decided to take the new offer, I would not approach my present employer and give him the opportunity to make a counter offer. If your present employer responds with a counter off that you accept, he may also feel he was forced into making the offer. If that is the case your relationship with him might not be as good as before.

Now having said that I will say since your new offer is not that much more than what you are expecting from your current employer, if you decide to accept the new offer and the opportunity presents itself, you might sort of let the terms of your new offer slip out. Your current employer might see it would not cost much to keep you. If so he might make you an unsolicited counter offer. If he makes you an counter offer without you asking for it, he will not feel as if he was forced to make the offer.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:56 PM

30,259 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbey View Post
...Should I tell the temp to hire job that I have been offered a full time position elsewhere and see if they make me an offer or just take the offer with the other company? Like I said- I really do enjoy the people at this job and I think it's a better fit than the other one. Maybe I'm thinking with my heart and not my head.....
Any Advice, please!

Thank yoU!
I would do just that, tell the temp place that you really enjoy working there, feel it's a great fit and have respect for those who work there but have been offered a full time position elsewhere making x amount of money and see what they say. If they really want you, they will make an offer. If they don't make an offer, I'd say that's pretty good indication you won't get one later, either and therefore you would then head on over to the stable, sure thing.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:15 AM

254 posts, read 810,074 times
I don't want to force a decision but feel in this case that if I don't take the permanent, I may lose this opportunity, could be out of my current place in 6 mos and then back to square one doing interviews again looking for a full time job. I am so burnt out from interviews. I just have spoke with people there
who are still a temp after a years time. I'm also concerned about him paying me less if they decide to hire me on full time. Why would he pay me less than I am making now???

Old 05-25-2012, 03:35 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,396,422 times
He will justify it by saying that as a permanent employee and not a temp he has to also give benefits and when those are factored in, you are actually making more than you were as a temp.

I would bet money this is their response. Companies love to justify low wages with benefit packages. Sometimes it works of the benefits are that great. But in cases such as yours, not so much.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:16 AM

380 posts, read 1,156,207 times
A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. I would accept the permanent job offer. The reason being is that you know from other temps working there that the company has a history of keeping temps as temps instead of offering them permanent employment and the manager has already told you your salary will be less if you are hired permanently.

The temp to perm situation, in your case, doesn't sound solid and reliable. It sounds like there is a possibility you would be temping for them for longer than 6 months. On top of that, now that they have seen your work they want to offer you less money if they do make you permanent just adds insult to injury. Seems to me you should get a bump in pay if they offered you a permanent position. That alone would tick me off so much I would go running to the other company. LOL

But, you need to weigh your options and determine if this temp job will turn permanent and, if so, will you be able to negotiate pay. Start by asking the temp agency that placed you what the procedure is when you/if you go permanent. To my knowledge, the pay goes up not down when that happens. Let them know you were told the pay would decrease and see if they can offer any type of insight as to why that would be the case. Also, try to find out from the temp agency what feedback they have gotten about your performance from the employer. I think this would be a good place to start in trying to weigh your options.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:29 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,837,802 times
Permanent, no brainer. The temp job is just that, temp. you can be let go at anytime. Thats why its a temp, they don't know how its going to work out. TAKE THE PERMANENT Job. Give your notice if necessary to the people that you work for, and be happy you have a job offer.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:16 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
Another vote for the permanent job.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:48 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,036,445 times
Contract to hire is a just scam 90% of the time. They work you to the bone, make big promises, and then toss you out the door when your time is up. They never had any intent of hiring you because it's cheaper to keep stringing people along and avoiding paying benefits for full-time workers. It's all about them and their bottom line, regardless of what they tell you. And heaven help the poor souls who moved somewhere for a contract to hire job - they usually end up unemployed in a strange land and can easily become homeless!

No, take the permament position. A real job these days is so rare you can't pass it by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment