Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 10:29 AM

491 posts, read 2,294,640 times

Advertisements

You answered your own question - people who can sell are working at the primo sales gigs. You get the dregs, the rejects, the drunks, the desperate, the ignorant, the too young, the too old. Obviously most of those are going to wash out. It's a constant revolving door. How long have you been in this industry not to know how it works?

If you can't find the warm bodies in this economic doldrums, then your business model is in the crapper. It's been played out so much that everyone is on to it. Find a better sales model or give up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 10:41 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,497,929 times
Do the reps get paid the same on existing business vs new business? Is there a point where the commission on existing expires? I'm not a sales professional but the lack of base salary would make me very nervous - in this economy.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:10 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,113,067 times
I have a lot of sales/marketing experience and if this was your ad, no, I wouldn't apply.

Here's why.

1) It doesn't ring true. I don't think it is a viable opportunity. It looks to me like it's selling alarm systems, CATV, time shares, or vacuum cleaners door to door.

2) If the job is legit, you would have given me the name of the company. But you probably don't want me to get on Linkedin or call the BBB to check on you and talk to people who work for you. Or research your product. Why don't you want me to know what you are selling and who you are? What are you hiding?

3) If I am a good salesperson, you should PAY me. If it's a commission job, the wages are probably low and that's OK, I can make up the difference. But if you refuse to invest anything in me... This is not a real job. Service is a huge part of any legit sales position and I have to be able to sell you something over and over. That means I have to provide stellar service. If you are commission only, that tells me you don't care about your customers or have a good enough product that you expect return business.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:20 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,234,885 times
Is this that darn Knife company that targets the college kids, lol......

If it is home warranties, that is BS

If it is alarm services, the leads should already be generated or generated from new homes etc

If it is vacuum cleaners, well darn most people go to Wal Mart anyways

LOL

Old 08-21-2012, 04:30 PM

4 posts, read 4,675 times
I think Yellowsnow is right!
in this times to sell the product without experience is not easy.
what about You guys start thinking about selling the service not a product,without any collections,inventories,deliveries?
And what's important, the service that everybody use and need for the rest of their lives?
yellowsnow, if You a good salesmen You might make a big buck!let me know what You think

Old 08-21-2012, 04:38 PM

653 posts, read 1,806,604 times
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is satellite TV, either Dish or Direct. This is exactly how they operate and think.

They have the same problem getting qualified install techs because they pay ~$10/hour after all expenses, and charge back in full for recalls for -any reason-.

Dirt poor, last-ditch bottom-of-the-barrel jobs.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:16 PM

715 posts, read 1,077,270 times
Definitely sounds like home alarms or satellite/cable TV.

My recent background is sales. I'm not taking 100% commission and no benefits at this point. I have never cold-called anyone. I am not knocking on anyone's door or calling up my friends and family to make a certain level either (looking at you insurance companies and veiled-MLMs).

I'm seeing more and more sales positions that offer some type of base + bonuses/commissions + benefits from legitimate companies even at an entry level. If a person has no sales experience, there's even more of a chance that they may not produce as quickly as an experienced rep. Help them out... that is unless you just like to churn through people seeing as how once a sale is made, the company has the business whether or not the sales person stays or leaves.

And agreed with yellowsnow, why hide the company name or what you are selling? Too many people will respond? That should be exactly what you want! Its exactly as he/she stated, I can look you up and see you aren't selling anything ground breaking and see all the complaints out on your company.

Sorry, but shady sales "opportunities" just rub me raw.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:08 PM

810 posts, read 1,812,219 times
Something that also always amuses is when a person like the OP posts a job listing that barely gets any hints, they IMMEDIATELY blame that on the job seekers. They will call them lazy, not willing to work hard, entitled, and so on, but what they don't realize is that if your job listing isn't getting any hints, that's probably more indicative of a problem with YOUR company and YOUR advertised position, not the job seeking public. I get amused when I hear business owners or hiring managers whining about how their sales positions or "Account Executive" positions can't get hits, despite the fact that these positions are often 100 percent commission, require a lot of expense out of the "employee's" pocket and often involve harassing strangers by trying to hark products that they don't need.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:44 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,179,787 times
It's been a couple of years since I posted a sales job publicly. I didn't give the name of the company, but I did give some information about our niche industry. Enough so that an interested person could narrow it to two or three companies in under five minutes on the Internet but not necessarily zero in on mine specifically.

I do it that way so I don't end up with a bunch of phone calls from Wal-Mart cashiers and out of work roofers who thought they were qualified as a "mid-level territory sales professional with experience in creating ROI business cases." I made that mistake once, never again.

FYI--I also state that there is a competitive base salary plus bonus schedule with full benefits. I think that in itself helps bring in highly qualified candidates.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 802 times
I would say to seek out the sales reps for the team like cold calling. eventually you will get the 1 or 2 and/or few that love the challenge of starting at the bottom or coming from behind to succeed and reach financial stability. to share and show love in a financial form to a chosen few is a reason one with no certifications would earn more than one with degrees. I love to put training courses to the test and achieve the financial freedom sooner than later for myself and family. those that quit only give room to those who open there arms extra wide to embrace success and freedom.

Marc Mckeiver
yulec@hotmail.com
Lover of sales and financial peace!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment