Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 05:46 PM

213 posts, read 1,107,971 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am really starting to hate hate hate my job with a passion. There is absolutely no way of advancing/progressing with this company for the most part. It is ONLY a paycheck. Nothing more nothing less.

The job itself is extremely boring, monotnous, repetitive, stressful, and just plain aggravating. I literally watch the clock click down to leaving time every single day. Sorry to complain, but it is taking its toll on me mentally and emotionally.

Now I know, I probably should not complain being that so many people are out of work of any kind and these people could def replace me in my job if it came down to it.

As for coworkers, well they are coworkers and they all seem to just grate on my nerves for many different reasons. I try to just stay busy and avoid dealing with most of them, but it can be a challenge not dealing with them throughout the day.

I don't know...I guess I'm just wondering for those of you that are looking for work, how hard is it to find a job these days? I mean a job that pays somewhat decently. Say 35K to 45K. I know that quitting is probably not a wise move as it everyone will tell you that it "takes having a job to find another job."

I find that having a job that you hate and trying to look for a new one is completely draining and you basically just end up getting nowhere.

For the past several months I have been looking for new jobs before work and after work to no avail....sending out resumes/applications and have not been successful landing one single call or any interest.

What in the world can I do to get out of my awful job and find a new one that pays worth a darn? How do people find jobs while holding down a job? It seems to be impossible. Any advice, much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 06:09 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,849,476 times
That is how I feel about my job. Even though I have a degree in accounting, I have come to loathe the work and the people. Staring at spreadsheets on computer screens all day every day makes me want to stab my eyes out with pencils.

What makes it worse is that three different people have come up to me and complained about their jobs. One in particular does it almost on a daily basis. What's funny is that he has worked there for 10 years.

Gee, if he hates the place that much, why didn't he quit a long time ago? I'm looking for a new job right now, I have monster.com open in another browser window. Never feel like you are trapped in a bad job.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:23 PM

Thanks man. I have been here now going on one year and just need a change. A complete change. I will keep the job until I find another, it just seems near impossible to find another one comprable to this in pay.

Maybe I just need to try and force myself to enjoy it!

Well, guess there is no easy answer. Nose to the grindstone.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:57 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,904,337 times
I swear I could have WRITTEN your original post. I'm right there with you (which of course means I don't really have much constructive advice).

I'm at the point where I think I just need to totally change industries. I'm thinking of quitting my 6-figure desk job and starting up a food truck. And I'm totally serious.

People tell me I should be thankful to have a job, to be thankful for the salary, and I am. I'm just dead and empty inside. There has to be more to life than this!

Old 05-09-2012, 11:42 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,140,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
Hello all,

I am really starting to hate hate hate my job with a passion. There is absolutely no way of advancing/progressing with this company for the most part. It is ONLY a paycheck. Nothing more nothing less.

The job itself is extremely boring, monotnous, repetitive, stressful, and just plain aggravating. I literally watch the clock click down to leaving time every single day. Sorry to complain, but it is taking its toll on me mentally and emotionally.

Now I know, I probably should not complain being that so many people are out of work of any kind and these people could def replace me in my job if it came down to it.

As for coworkers, well they are coworkers and they all seem to just grate on my nerves for many different reasons. I try to just stay busy and avoid dealing with most of them, but it can be a challenge not dealing with them throughout the day.

I don't know...I guess I'm just wondering for those of you that are looking for work, how hard is it to find a job these days? I mean a job that pays somewhat decently. Say 35K to 45K. I know that quitting is probably not a wise move as it everyone will tell you that it "takes having a job to find another job."

I find that having a job that you hate and trying to look for a new one is completely draining and you basically just end up getting nowhere.

For the past several months I have been looking for new jobs before work and after work to no avail....sending out resumes/applications and have not been successful landing one single call or any interest.

What in the world can I do to get out of my awful job and find a new one that pays worth a darn? How do people find jobs while holding down a job? It seems to be impossible. Any advice, much appreciated!
Usually takes me about 3 or 4 months to get this stage - another job in same area you'll just run into the same boring work, the same irritating characters - I can almost read most of my co-workers like a book now, without even speaking to them much.

I like people who can at least admit there Jobs are just a paycheck and tedious, and boring. I find some people at work believe its all very exciting very odd.

Go out and have a good weekend, get drunk that helps. Plenty of coffee helps keep you awake at work, surf the net, flirt with anyone attractive helps day to day, go to the gym help perk you up more, and improves your health.

Ask for work in a different area - tell your boss your on top of your work and underchallenged, and get yourself busier - the worse thing is to be stuck in one area that has no real impact or importance and your there just to do the drudge work - Knowledge is power, your more likely to be offered other work - sounds like you have left to fester in a boring job.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:43 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,651,696 times
Quote:
Hello all,

This was me 2 years ago. I was working fulltime and getting a decent salary. But there was no room for growth. The company had been bought out and I knew my position was going to be eliminated at some point. While I didn't outright hate the job, I didn't find it very fulfilling either. The work wasn't that interesting and I wasn't learning any new skills. The stress levels varied. Some days were really hard, others were pretty easy. But I was always watching the time, making sure never to stay past 5. After all, why go the extra mile for a company that's going to let you go anyway?

As for my coworkers, there were a few I talked to, but for the most part I didn't really care for the other employees at the company. Most had been there for years, but didn't seem to like their jobs either. That kind of attitude can be contagious after a while. I found myself becoming rather depressed so perhaps it's a good thing the job ended. I had days where I thought about looking for something else, but I knew the market was bad, so I just decided to wait it out.

Well the job did eventually come to an end. I started looking around and found that my skills were in high demand. The problem was getting offers. I could get interviews, but closing the deal was proving more difficult, at least more than I expected. Then there's the stigma of being unemployed. I just recently got an offer, but it wasn't quite what I was hoping for. What this process has made me realize is that I took that previous job for granted. Sure it wasn't great and there were days I absolutely hated it. But the hardest part about looking for a job when you don't have one is that you find yourself under more pressure to take what you can get. The job I have in front of me now may not be something I stick with. I could be back out there looking for something else in a few months, though I'd rather give it a year so it doesn't look bad on the resume. But at least I'll be able to look from a stronger position. Yes, it's harder to look for a job when you're already working fulltime. But looking for a job is hard even when you're not working. It's not like you sit around doing nothing between interviews. I use that time to read, update my skills, continue jobhunting, and unfortunately, some of that time is just spent worrying.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:53 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,395,904 times
To the OP: I'm a professor at a California University and I also could have written your post. I don't stress out from my students, I just detest most of the people I work with. I clock watch all day and count the days down till my vacation.

So you're not alone. Many people detest their job.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:15 AM

450 posts, read 1,060,010 times
Quote:
Hello all,

I'd say that based on the tenor of your post, that you are a young person and fairly new to the workplace. I'm at the other end of the spectrum, into my 46th year of work. Allow me to suggest to you, that unless you find something to do that is the passion of your life you will remain in your current status along with millions of other people in our country.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:52 AM

841 posts, read 1,918,645 times
Co-workers can make or break a job. The same for the manager or boss.
I've worked for some low wages but most of the other people have been nice or they tried to respect each other which made a difference.

It's when you have to deal with the office politics or other nonsense, like gossip and people disliking you for no reason, which makes you want to gouge out your eyes and run away.

I'd try to avoid complainers by being polite but firm. If someone comes over to complain about "THE BOSS" or "Mike in HR" or Susan in Accounting try to just say you are too busy.

Avoid gossiping. It will only fuel negativity.

Good luck on finding another job.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
Co-workers can make or break a job. The same for the manager or boss.
I've worked for some low wages but most of the other people have been nice or they tried to respect each other which made a difference.

It's when you have to deal with the office politics or other nonsense, like gossip and people disliking you for no reason, which makes you want to gouge out your eyes and run away.

I'd try to avoid complainers by being polite but firm. If someone comes over to complain about "THE BOSS" or "Mike in HR" or Susan in Accounting try to just say you are too busy.

Avoid gossiping. It will only fuel negativity.

Good luck on finding another job.
Yea I def get people seemingly disliking me for no reason at all or trying to be polite and exchange pleasantries with certain coworkers who don't reply back or just make some grunt sound. F them I say. I can't worry about it anymore.

And trust me I def avoid any and all gossiping. I sometimes get pulled into listening to it, but I never ever add fuel to the fire or make any negative remarks about coworkers. That's for sure.

Thanks for the response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment