Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:16 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,849,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
oh yeah...just how interesting is that piece of paper anyway...it boggles my mind how some people can just go on and on and on about the most tedius of things...now, I don't live an extremely exciting life, however...sometimes I just have to laugh and walk away...I'll take my garden and my two dogs anyday...
Koale
I almost started laughing at the old CPA firm where I worked, when we had one of our umpteen meetings about preparing tax returns for clients and this one guy would not shut up about stupid errors he was getting when trying to e-file. He was really getting worked up about it too.

I thought to myself "Does any of this crap REALLY matter?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 06:36 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,650,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Many co-workers who are *******s, backstab, dirty looks, make you uncomfortable, withhold info - are simply hoping for force others to quit their job, you think their just nasty, but its all about keeping themselves in a job - it might be a calculated strategy to make their Jobs secure - below the surface its economic competition. I see it everyday, so called colleagues who love to see others fail - the name of the game for these people is withhold info, spread gossip, undermine - and Keep themselves in a Job, while hoping others quit.
People are insecure about their jobs. You might be interviewing for a job and be the best candidate for it. But when the hiring manager meets you, he quickly realizes you could potentially replace him someday. In many cases, it never reaches the interview stage because the manager sees your resume and comes to the same conclusion. Imagine going into an interview and they ask you where you see yourself in 5 years. You say you want to be a team lead or a project manager. Too bad that's the job that the guy interviewing you has.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:48 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,558,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
People are insecure about their jobs. You might be interviewing for a job and be the best candidate for it. But when the hiring manager meets you, he quickly realizes you could potentially replace him someday. In many cases, it never reaches the interview stage because the manager sees your resume and comes to the same conclusion. Imagine going into an interview and they ask you where you see yourself in 5 years. You say you want to be a team lead or a project manager. Too bad that's the job that the guy interviewing you has.
You should just say ~ "I see myself in your job".

Old 05-12-2012, 09:54 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,987,405 times
[quote=Rift;24215934]Hello all,

I find that having a job that you hate and trying to look for a new one is completely draining and you basically just end up getting nowhere.

For the past several months I have been looking for new jobs before work and after work to no avail....sending out resumes/applications and have not been successful landing one single call or any interest.

(/quote]

So you think quitting will make you more attractive to other employers?

Old 05-12-2012, 05:43 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,140,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
True dat, true dat. You speak the truth! It is true about coworkers trying to get you to quit. I can almost sense it in some of my coworkers. Not only where I am at now, but at other places that I have worked.
Its often in the first weeks or months that your colleagues have the greatest chance of seeing your quit or get fired - the longer your in the job, the better the quality of work you perform, the more projects etc you then there chances lessen with the day.

The will often tell you oh don't worry about anything, or there no procedures, no system, to make you believe everything is in chaos - all the the while hoping for any mistake or a chance to undermine - The goal is to subdue you into failure.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:25 AM

986 posts, read 2,510,631 times
Default Just another downside of growthism

Quote:
Hello all,

I am really starting to hate hate hate my job with a passion. There is absolutely no way of advancing/progressing with this company for the most part. It is ONLY a paycheck. Nothing more nothing less.

The job itself is extremely boring, monotnous, repetitive, stressful, and just plain aggravating. I literally watch the clock click down to leaving time every single day. Sorry to complain, but it is taking its toll on me mentally and emotionally.

Now I know, I probably should not complain being that so many people are out of work of any kind and these people could def replace me in my job if it came down to it.

As for coworkers, well they are coworkers and they all seem to just grate on my nerves for many different reasons. I try to just stay busy and avoid dealing with most of them, but it can be a challenge not dealing with them throughout the day.

I don't know...I guess I'm just wondering for those of you that are looking for work, how hard is it to find a job these days? I mean a job that pays somewhat decently. Say 35K to 45K. I know that quitting is probably not a wise move as it everyone will tell you that it "takes having a job to find another job."

I find that having a job that you hate and trying to look for a new one is completely draining and you basically just end up getting nowhere.

For the past several months I have been looking for new jobs before work and after work to no avail....sending out resumes/applications and have not been successful landing one single call or any interest.

What in the world can I do to get out of my awful job and find a new one that pays worth a darn? How do people find jobs while holding down a job? It seems to be impossible. Any advice, much appreciated!
I think the unnatural treadmill of modern life and economic growthism is the root cause of many boring jobs. This sort of unstoppable stress is largely a disease of the industrial age. People weren't meant to sit around in windowless rooms with a narrow plane of focus on a screen, haggling over technical minutia all day long.

Only those fully driven by the dollar can stay engaged with it. Look up the percentages of "disengaged workers." Millions of people are born into this regimen and find themselves trapped. The way out is not simple or feasible for most. One avenue is to live as frugally as possible and work part time, or at lower-stress occupations.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,210 times
I am so there with the OP. In my almost 30 years in corporate America, this is the worse environment I've experienced. Almost none of my coworkers like this company, the morale is nil, but the pay is excellent. I want to leave, however, I love what I do and don't quite feel like pounding the pavement.

This too shall pass

Old 12-27-2013, 05:35 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,027,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
That is how I feel about my job. Even though I have a degree in accounting, I have come to loathe the work and the people. Staring at spreadsheets on computer screens all day every day makes me want to stab my eyes out with pencils.

What makes it worse is that three different people have come up to me and complained about their jobs. One in particular does it almost on a daily basis. What's funny is that he has worked there for 10 years.

Gee, if he hates the place that much, why didn't he quit a long time ago? I'm looking for a new job right now, I have monster.com open in another browser window. Never feel like you are trapped in a bad job.
Accounting is about as soul destroying as it gets. I work in AP and absolutely hate it. The entire accounting department just looks miserable, detached from the rest of the company. The older people seem to be the most bitter. I tell myself every day that I don't want to end up like that.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:42 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,744,359 times
Quote:
Hello all,

It is ONLY a paycheck. Nothing more nothing less.
Sorry to complain, but it is taking its toll on me mentally and emotionally.

start applying to different jobs, in the mean time stay busy and youll get a new job and the final days at that dreaded office will be all smiles.

best of luck

ps, its always better to have a current job while applying for new employment, so stay motivated and keep the paycheck rolling in, until you find something better.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,617 times
You guys may want to check out takethisjobORshoveit.com (Ttjosi.com). It's a review site that lets you rate your coworkers and bosses. I did a review of my bully coworker and my bully boss on that site. I also did a review of an awesome coworker. It relieved some stress to know that I was able to maybe alert other prospective applicants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment