Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 12:08 PM

771 posts, read 1,396,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
I would love to start up a history-related business, but it just doesn't seem profitable. As much as I hate retail, opening a small bookstore (not a used one) would be fun, since my area is lacking bookstores, but again, way too much overhead.

Might be kind of interesting to open a kiosk at a mall for some extra cash selling history things, but again...no profit.

Ideally contracting for genealogy, historical research and writing would be cool, but I can't even figure out who would be potential clients so that's out of the picture.

In short: I"d love to be self employed, but unless you have a profitable passion it's nearly impossible I think.
Not only profitable being the problem but your standard of living too! Life keeps getting more and more expensive such as health insurance, school, real estate, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 12:41 PM

19 posts, read 56,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I have no desire to start my own business. What are the chances it would be successful even in a good economy, let alone in the current one? Never getting to leave work, always thinking about it even at home or on vacation. No thanks.
If you are working online, then target another country's economy. you dont have to run campaigns in your host country you know. The internet is global. However you might want to invest in some good translation services (quality) for non-english countries.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:01 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,749,992 times
I am attempting Amazon Mechanical Turk, and I'm only getting paid peanuts

Old 04-17-2012, 01:52 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,690,233 times
self employment is great if you are actually doing well in your business, you like what you do, downside is health insurance(but i guess you can buy that separately?) and possible instability

Old 04-17-2012, 04:23 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,790,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
I am attempting Amazon Mechanical Turk, and I'm only getting paid peanuts
That looks a lot like the "E-lance" type job posting service. I have looked at the E-lance jobs and I can't afford to compete with the other providers. My impression was that businesses posting free lance jobs on the service are looking for off-shore help.

I did see one or two ads that were looking for on site help (couldn't be provided remotely) but they still were offering near minimum wage for the work.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:18 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
There are no personality, drug, background or credit checks required for self employment! +1

Corporate America keeps finding ways to prevent good Americans from supporting themselves.

You make it sound like it is very simple to just start a business.

There are many downsides to being self imployed including the economy, having to be self insured, not being able to take vacations, getting and obtaining a customer base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment