Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 12:08 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,953,300 times

Advertisements

My dad is the same way, has always had a job. He is great with his money and has never had to worry about it. He invested when he was young and some of the money he made when he was 21 allowed him to buy a very good size house in cash over 20 years later.

He has a friend who recently took over the business he works for. I asked him why he didn't get in on the deal one day, because he had the opportunity. He said to me, look at the house I live in and look at what I'm doing right now. I'm sitting in the sun and washing my Cadillac. You know what he's doing right now? He's at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 12:20 PM

771 posts, read 1,397,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
My dad is the same way, has always had a job. He is great with his money and has never had to worry about it. He invested when he was young and some of the money he made when he was 21 allowed him to buy a very good size house in cash over 20 years later.

He has a friend who recently took over the business he works for. I asked him why he didn't get in on the deal one day, because he had the opportunity. He said to me, look at the house I live in and look at what I'm doing right now. I'm sitting in the sun and washing my Cadillac. You know what he's doing right now? He's at work.
Exactly. My mom's best friend brings in 200k per year here in Chicago at a bank she works. Seriously, making that much money, you have enough to save and retire early and not worry about your company if you had one. She said she would never want a company because it's just too much. Again sometimes you are made for it, sometimes you are not.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:51 PM

15 posts, read 32,559 times
You're not "working for yourself" or "totally independent". Instead of relying on a boss for your living wage, you are relying on customers for your living wage. Tend to one boss or lots of customers who can be just as nasty? Then you have to rely on the customers buying your item(s) which in this economy, will they?

Want best of both worlds? Work for a friend or family member who owns a business. There you go.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:49 AM

640 posts, read 1,215,280 times
At least you don't have to fill out an online application or be told you are the scum of the earth, for being born with a lifelong disability!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:54 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,205,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
At least you don't have to fill out an online application or be told you are the scum of the earth, for being born with a lifelong disability!

I have to literally spring my handicaps on an employer after getting hired and proving myself because I know I would never get hired if they knew upfront.

Thankfully, I do such an insane job, that most of them have been pretty understanding about them.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 AM

Some people say for the crap jobs you can tell them and they can't reject you, in fact they'll get tax breaks for hiring people on social security but they could still discriminate against you. All they'll say is "we chose someone else for the job", and voila. Imagine this happening over and over. Somehow, this happening is the disabled persons fault, according to public opinion.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:11 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,205,684 times
Quote:
Some people say for the crap jobs you can tell them and they can't reject you, in fact they'll get tax breaks for hiring people on social security but they could still discriminate against you. All they'll say is "we chose someone else for the job", and voila. Imagine this happening over and over. Somehow, this happening is the disabled persons fault, according to public opinion.

Its nearly impossible to prove discrimination, as youve pointed out, which largely makes the laws surrounding that little more then lip service. Its extremely unfortunate, because if you dont have some private disability insurance supplementing SS based disability, its extremely hard to get by without living the starving person eating cat food lifestyle.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:27 AM

More small businesses who dodge hiring laws need to be shut down. Funny how most of them ripped off their employees, or had shady hiring practices. That's called KARMA and it exists. It's the only way for them to learn how it feels.

I am trying my best to get a "pulse" job even if part time. I am waiting for vocrehab to contact me off their waiting list. My mom wants me to work part time and go to community college on the side but I don't know if that can happen because these warped employers around here are a bunch of rats. If I'm not allowed to play by the rules (following up and applying), then I will do what other disabled people do which is turn to vocrehab.

I don't want to live on SSI forever (I don't get much and could make more working at mcdonald's!) and would prefer working even if I was only making minimum wage. I feel persecuted and it is like I am stuck in some kind of catch 22. I hate my family because they want me to be miserable and not have any sort of life. I get really cynical about it and nobody seems to understand listen to the points I make or what I'm saying.

I want to make myself happy but the people around me and this "system" whatever you call it doesn't seem to have the same agenda. Why?

Old 04-17-2012, 09:36 AM

771 posts, read 1,397,570 times
Quote:
More small businesses who dodge hiring laws need to be shut down. Funny how most of them ripped off their employees, or had shady hiring practices. That's called KARMA and it exists. It's the only way for them to learn how it feels.

I am trying my best to get a "pulse" job even if part time. I am waiting for vocrehab to contact me off their waiting list. My mom wants me to work part time and go to community college on the side but I don't know if that can happen because these warped employers around here are a bunch of rats. If I'm not allowed to play by the rules (following up and applying), then I will do what other disabled people do which is turn to vocrehab.

I don't want to live on SSI forever (I don't get much and could make more working at mcdonald's!) and would prefer working even if I was only making minimum wage. I feel persecuted and it is like I am stuck in some kind of catch 22. I hate my family because they want me to be miserable and not have any sort of life. I get really cynical about it and nobody seems to understand listen to the points I make or what I'm saying.

I want to make myself happy but the people around me and this "system" whatever you call it doesn't seem to have the same agenda. Why?
Sorry to day, but it sounds like you have a lot more problems that we could ever give you advice on.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:30 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,593,374 times
I would love to start up a history-related business, but it just doesn't seem profitable. As much as I hate retail, opening a small bookstore (not a used one) would be fun, since my area is lacking bookstores, but again, way too much overhead.

Might be kind of interesting to open a kiosk at a mall for some extra cash selling history things, but again...no profit.

Ideally contracting for genealogy, historical research and writing would be cool, but I can't even figure out who would be potential clients so that's out of the picture.

In short: I"d love to be self employed, but unless you have a profitable passion it's nearly impossible I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment