Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 08:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times

Advertisements

When we looked for a place for my mother in law, we paid a nurse/social worker consultant $250 to do the research and find us good situations to check out. We visited 3 of them and chose one. It was well worth the money, because she looked at all of the reports from the inspections, any complaints to the state, considered the condition of the other residents, whether they accept medicaid, and even the personalities of the people running it to ensure compatibility. The last thing we would do is find one in the yellow pages or Craigslist, home of the scam. Your problem will be no proven track record or history, so no references from families of satisfied residents. We would not have chosen a place under those circumstances.

Someone tried to open one in our neighborhood, and placed a sign in the front yard but the city made them take it down. They had room for 6 but never had more than 1-2 and ended up going out of business in less than a year. My suggestion would be to start out with word-of-mouth. People who know you, spreading the news of your opening to their family and friends could be helpful in getting started. You could also place an add in a local newspaper if you have one, especially one of those tabloid sized weeklies. Then there's the bulletin board at the supermarket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 12:38 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Well, the OP posed her question well over two years ago and never returned to either the thread or any CD forum so I guess we'll never know whether or not she opened up her group home!

Old 06-03-2015, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,826 times
I have just opened a group and is at this time looking for clients

Old 06-03-2015, 05:47 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,692,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
If you are licensed and registered with the State and Feds, your residents will appear.
^^^^What they said

Old 10-19-2016, 11:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,380 times
Default Hey Yogi

I will be opening my first group home early next year. I'd like to ask you a few questions about the business. I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

Old 11-12-2016, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,336 times
Is it better to rent or buy a home when starting a group home?

Old 11-12-2016, 05:56 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahadobsiye15 View Post
I will be opening my first group home early next year. I'd like to ask you a few questions about the business. I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!
The person you quoted has not been on this site in over two years.
Don't expect an answer.

Old 11-16-2016, 02:48 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoydBS View Post
Is it better to rent or buy a home when starting a group home?
From the owner of the business point of view, you'd be much better off renting. From the landlord's point of view, a landlord would have to be crazy to rent you a house to put any sort of group home into. So, rent if you can find a place to rent without committing fraud on your rental application.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:34 PM

1 posts, read 770 times
Hello,,actually am planning to open up my group home but was gathering information...l hear it's a hard job which requires 24 hour supervision 7 days a week..
My friend told me it's hard to get patients ..would like to get in touch with someone who has a group home to advise please...please..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment