Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 12:02 PM

607 posts, read 986,863 times

Advertisements

[quote=Thatsright19;23455722]Not liking your current situation and coming up with excuses as to why you aren't doing anything to change it. Basically, waiting for something to fall from the heavens instead of working for it everyday. Always be moving in a positive direction--however slowly that is.

That is what I would say as a broad definition as well. I am a very motivated, passionate, energized worker. So my view of laziness might seem harsh to some around here.

There was one person I went to college with that was a big talker but still serves beer four years after college...same job he did in college. I didn't look at him as a lazy person in college because he did well in school and that is all I knew about him. Turns out he is one lazy ass adult with no personal drive to better his life and refuses to move since he wants to stay in the college atmosphere (Madison, WI). I chalked him off as a loser.

To me, I have NO respect for people who speak loud about wanting to make a change and when given some good advice on what they could do and do nothing I just reject that person out of my life. I want nothing to do with those type of people.

For me, I want to be around energized and passionate people who talk about ideas, money, investment, and international business ventures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 12:28 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,874,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Doing the bare minimum to get by. It's a stress free lifestyle. I highly recommend it.
I just love all of these Type A "go getters" who brag about working 80 hour work weeks. Most of them are just working themselves into an early grave. How can anybody be happy working like a slave all the time? I had a job like that for a couple of years and I hated it. Drive and ambition mean nothing to me when I judge a person.

I now work 40 hours a week, am MUCH happier now that I have some free time, but when I reach the point where my investments will be able to fund my retirement, I'll throw my work laptop on the freeway and not even bother calling in to quit. They will call me to say "you're fired" and I will just start laughing.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:36 PM

30,157 posts, read 25,271,282 times
Umm, what is wrong with someone working as a beer server? At least he is making money and trying to pay his own way. What disgusts me the most about American's is how we define our worth as human beings by the job we do. Who gives a crap, as long as your bills get paid? With the way the wages are going for many entry level jobs, maybe he can do better serving beer for the time being? Anyways, I worked as a bartender, a butt wiper, an industrial waste handler... I've crawled through places most people wouldn't want to hock a loogie in... I also earned plenty to pay the bills and afford nice things when I was doing those jobs, so please don't judge people based on someone's line of work. You would be surprised what some of those jobs people deem below them can net at the end of the week...

Old 03-18-2012, 12:41 PM

30,157 posts, read 25,271,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I just love all of these Type A "go getters" who brag about working 80 hour work weeks. Most of them are just working themselves into an early grave. How can anybody be happy working like a slave all the time? I had a job like that for a couple of years and I hated it. Drive and ambition mean nothing to me when I judge a person.

I now work 40 hours a week, am MUCH happier now that I have some free time, but when I reach the point where my investments will be able to fund my retirement, I'll throw my work laptop on the freeway and not even bother calling in to quit. They will call me to say "you're fired" and I will just start laughing.
I think it depends on the type of job your doing. I went to nursing school with the promise of $20/hr wages (yea right). I left because I realized how happy I was doing my old job 60 hours a week, compared to working that crazy type of job for 40 hours. I have never had a day that I dreaded going to work in my field. Even though the pay has been hit, and most employers expect me to work more hours, I have no problem because it's a job I do love.

80 hours is a bit crazy though. I did that when I was younger and wanted more money in the savings account. I have plenty to not worry now, so I never work over 60. I think some people are whoring themselves out to their employers, thinking it will get them ahead. In many cases, they will be used up and discarded once they hit a burnout phase. At the end of the day, most employers don't give a crap about you, but will pretend to do so while your making them some $$$.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post

Drive and ambition may not mean anything to you, but it does to some others. By all means find sitting on the couch and eating potato chips while being overweight attractive behaviors.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Umm, what is wrong with someone working as a beer server? At least he is making money and trying to pay his own way. What disgusts me the most about American's is how we define our worth as human beings by the job we do. Who gives a crap, as long as your bills get paid? With the way the wages are going for many entry level jobs, maybe he can do better serving beer for the time being? Anyways, I worked as a bartender, a butt wiper, an industrial waste handler... I've crawled through places most people wouldn't want to hock a loogie in... I also earned plenty to pay the bills and afford nice things when I was doing those jobs, so please don't judge people based on someone's line of work. You would be surprised what some of those jobs people deem below them can net at the end of the week...
Spoken like a liberal. He has been a disgrace to himself and now lives in a life of depression. I tried to help him correct his life and even offered him a number to call for an interview at a state across the country for a good salary and the idiot turned it down to continue serving beer.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:03 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,562,904 times
Quote:
Nothing. The kid is a graduate from a good public school though and if that is all you do in life that would be underachieving.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:11 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveurdream View Post
Drive and ambition may not mean anything to you, but it does to some others. By all means find sitting on the couch and eating potato chips while being overweight attractive behaviors.
Why was this necessary? It wasn't implied in the post you responded to. Maybe they want to throw away their work laptop so they can start hiking as a personal hobby? Not everyone who hates work hates being physically active.

Quote:
Andy, I think liveurdream was bashing him because he was a "big talker" and spoke about wanting to make a change but never did. True, it wasn't always clear in his/her post. But it could just be that type of person they're judging. Not sure.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:43 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,193,953 times
Someone who never does more than get by. Never expends any extra effort, doesn't really care about anything.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:56 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,798,108 times
IMHO....Lazy=Irresposible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment