Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 08:51 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
When interviewing for a new job, what are your opinions on lying about your previous/current salary? Do you take bonuses into account?

I hate telling them my previous salary for the following reasons:

• They will try to match it if you're currently unemployed, due to the tough economy they know you'll take it.
  • They probably won't go much higher than your previous number. Then you're stuck in a specific salary, as long as the economy stays bad.
That's why I've decided to lie and add more for my next interview. I'm currently employed, so I feel like I have the luxury of demanding more without fearing that I'll get rejected. If I get rejected, oh well I still have a job.

Put this in a compies perspective; if you lie on your application regarding salary and the company decides to extend an offer to you but they call your current employer and ask what your salary is. They find out the truth and decide not to extend the offer to you because you lied about something as simple as your salary. In their minds they will be wondering what else you have lied about or what will you lie about if you work there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 08:58 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Put this in a compies perspective; if you lie on your application regarding salary and the company decides to extend an offer to you but they call your current employer and ask what your salary is. They find out the truth and decide not to extend the offer to you because you lied about something as simple as your salary. In their minds they will be wondering what else you have lied about or what will you lie about if you work there.
Your previous company wouldn't disclose your salary information unless you give them authorization to do so.

Regardless, it's a simple thing to check, especially once you provide the hiring company your SSN.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:16 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,288,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Regardless, it's a simple thing to check, especially once you provide the hiring company your SSN.
If they can't get this from your employer and if you aren't willing to provide them with either your tax forms, paystubs or bank statements, how are they going to find out this information? Yes, they can run a credit check with your SSN, but that doesn't tell them your salary, just your debt situation and credit rating.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:10 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
If they can't get this from your employer and if you aren't willing to provide them with either your tax forms, paystubs or bank statements, how are they going to find out this information? Yes, they can run a credit check with your SSN, but that doesn't tell them your salary, just your debt situation and credit rating.
You have very naive view on how much privacy we still have left.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:26 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,288,171 times
Quote:
You have very naive view on how much privacy we still have left.
Care to elaborate?

Old 03-06-2012, 10:32 AM

405 posts, read 1,279,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
If you're going to lie, know the market. If you are being underpaid for your title/experience/location, I don't see a big deal in bumping that number up

Don't just know the market, know the market in your specific area.
Simular jobs pay vastly different salaries from one place to the next.
You might make half as much in one place for the same job as
you would somewhere else.
You don't wanna bump yourself up to high for your area no
matter how much experience you have.
A perspective employer may opt you out for a lower bid.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:49 PM

78 posts, read 164,581 times
Quote:
Lying is not good and it will come back and bite you.
Agree 100%

Old 03-06-2012, 06:37 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,942,302 times
I wouldn't lie about anything for a job...period.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:39 PM

756 posts, read 2,118,407 times
Quote:
You are taking an unnecessary risk. Keep in mind, it is easy to verify your salary. Some companies will straight out ask your last year's W4. When you work for someone, there isn't much privacy left.

Firstly, you need to know your market rate.

Secondly, when someone give you a lowball offer and you accept it, it is not lowball anymore but a fair trade. Keep in mind, it's a free market and we still have some freedom left which includes NOT being forced to work for a particular employer. If you think it's too low, you can negotiate the salary or reject the offer. If you need them more than they need you, supply and demand would determine your final price. You can always re-negotiate once you are hired.

Lying is not good and it will come back and bite you.
W4 has total compensation but doesn't account salary perfectly if the candidate took unpaid time-off.

It'd seem anal and it'd be a turnoff for the candidate/newly hired. Who wants to join a company that asked for his prior W4? The candidate can always claim s/he didn't have it available.

Also, in most situations, it's not typical to re-negotiate once one is hired, unless you mean after a year or probably two years of work at the position. That's a raise request which is treated differently, and by then, the employee would be ready for another position elsewhere.

I agree one needs to know the market rate, and in general it's risky lying about salary esp. on actual applications for full-time positions. It's best to leave the field blank if prior salary was low. If an application requires it being filled, it's another turnoff. Some companies use it to gauge the market rate for the position, rather than as the primary basis to establish the rate for a particular individual. Most the applications that I have used have it not required, but a some have it required.

Last edited by avg12; 03-06-2012 at 07:00 PM..

Old 03-06-2012, 06:43 PM

810 posts, read 1,763,597 times
I am always honest with what I have made in the past and about how little I make now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment