Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 08:31 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,408,985 times

Advertisements

There is nothing wrong with your decision to quit. Most people would have endured it, until they had another job. However, in your position, you have a fiance to fall back on...may explain why you left so quick.

Good luck with your future endeavors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 08:34 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,015,501 times
OP<Is your bf ok by your decision, if it turns out to take significant time to obtain new employment? I would hope you discussed that possibility together before quitting, as in the hypothetical "What if" type of discussions.

Don't get me wrong, the conditons sound awful, but too many people fail to have the types of discussions they should before making major decisions.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:00 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,707,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
There is nothing wrong with your decision to quit. Most people would have endured it, until they had another job. However, in your position, you have a fiance to fall back on...may explain why you left so quick.

Good luck with your future endeavors!
Well it doesn't sound like the fiance(she said boyfriend) is too thrilled about it.

The biggest reason for marital problems is finances. And in this case they're not even married.

Maybe the OP should have been a little tougher. Maybe these guys were testing her(which is quite rude and childish) but speaking up and showing you're not going to take any crap may have nipped the bad behavior in the bud.

Only the OP knows what the long term effects will be. If they were splitting expenses 50/50 the boyfriend may get resentful after awhile of having to carry her.

When she interviewed she saw the environment she would be working in. Sounds like a warehouse with an office attached to it.

So it's not your typical office environment. You're going to have the blue collar enviornment, with the foul language and uncouth behavior. That you don't find in other places.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:15 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,487,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Sounds like a miserable place to work. But you may find yourself as miserable or more if you can't find a job for an extended period of time.
She created this thread because she felt bad about it so there's no reason to make her feel worse.

OP- You had reached your breaking point and it's understandable that you quit. Hopefully one of those interviews turns into a job offer. The best thing you can do is focus on the positives of your situation (your stress has been relieved, you don't have to put up with your disgusting coworkers, etc).

Old 03-02-2012, 10:34 PM

52 posts, read 88,955 times
If you quit without discussing it with your boyfriend beforehand, then yes, it was irresponsible. When you are in a relationship and sharing finances, one should never make major financial decisions without first speaking with their partner. For this very reason, unless you are married, I feel there is absolutely no reason to share finances. It just further strains the relationship and adds another dynamic that doesn't need to exist. But, it really doesn't matter how anyone else feels here, it matters how your boyfriend feels.

Personally, I think you should have given it a little more time because there were obviously some positives. Not many bosses will allow leave so early in employment, so that was one positive. That being said, if a clean work environment is one of your top priorities when it comes to work, that was not the right environment for you.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:06 PM

749 posts, read 2,460,268 times
The problem with your decision is that it's much harder to find a job if you're unemployed. Some companies won't even look at your resume unless you're currently employed - why should they take on the risk of you doing the same thing to them? Or even worse - they might assume you were incompetent and got fired. HR never provides the reason for termination to prospective employers because they don't want to get sued. They only provide title and dates of employment, so you might have set yourself up for future employers to assume that you got fired because you couldn't do your job properly.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:39 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,952,240 times
Not to make you feel more guilty, but you may have traded one emotional burden for another.

It has shifted from dealing with an unbearable work situation to dealing with the strain in your relationship due to financial burdens.

All you can do now is use your time wisely to find another job (any job) until you find something better.

Always weigh your options (and consult those who will be affected i.e. the boyfriend, with whom you're sharing living expenses with) before you make those kinds of decisions.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:45 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,179,861 times
maybe i am gross, but those seem like petty reasons to leave a job

Old 03-03-2012, 08:49 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,298,688 times
You should have reported the treatment to Dept. of Labor. Now some other poor gal will have to put up w/ that BS, and she may not have a boyfriend to fall back on. They knew they had you, so they were probably deliberately bating you, toilet seat etc. I worked w/ a bunch of guys on a college campus, landscaping...the lunch room went silent the first few times I walked in there. It was uncomfortable as heck. I had to tell a dirty joke to break the ice, after that I was just one of the guys. May not be politically correct but it worked. My boss begged me to stay, but I was in college. Many a time I wish I'd stayed...lol It takes a special type female to work around a bunch on men, and you really have to win them over. Not saying what they did was right, just saying there is a way around that. Course, I'm near 60....makes a difference I probably have a bigger tolerance for BS. Best would have been to ignore them, or leave a mess in their bathroom to embarass them. Boss could have put a lock on the door w/ only a key for you too. Just be aware anytime you walk off a job, it sometimes follows you re: references.
Hope you find the job you want soon

Old 03-04-2012, 12:10 AM

4,289 posts, read 10,800,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
maybe i am gross, but those seem like petty reasons to leave a job
I agree if its a job in a traditionally male industry. Although the company didnt handle it well either.

if you are gonna work in an environment that is 90%+ guys, there are certain things you need to put up with and you cant be easily offended. Just the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment