Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 10:17 PM

88 posts, read 296,616 times

Advertisements

I'm 18 and in college and I've been looking for a part-time job. I've only had one job before and that was in retail...I hated dealing with rude customers, having to stand for 8 hours at a time, having to say the same things over and over, and having to be nice to everyone including complete whack jobs. I really want to work in an office where I can sit at a desk and not have to deal with the public. I had an interview for a receptionist job today and I realized it might be kind of boring, sitting in the same place all day.

It is obviously a lot harder for me to get an office job than something in retail at my age, especially since I only want to work PT....but all my friends hate retail and I have not had a good experience with it either...is office work better than retail? I'm just wondering since I haven't had much work experience and it seems like office work is SO much better but I don't know if I'm just setting myself up for disappointment ...
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 10:32 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,401,632 times
It all depends on you. I prefer sitting behind a desk, even when there is no work. Since you are 18, this would be a great opportunity to get your feet wet with some real work. A receptionist job is more than answering phones, some type, heavy calender, order food, plan events, greets clients first and may be trained to learned other skills that the office desires. It's also a good way to get in your studies. If you were able to come in early enough and scan in your school work, so that you can look at the PC, without having books on your desk and get in your studies. Although, this is not correct, but it affords you the opportunity to do, when you are comfortable.

You are learning client skills development, which can help you when you transition into a full time job elsewhere. Talking to strangers is a gift, with passion, you will find out how to reap the benefits of being a receptionist. Many doors can be opened, depending on your studies.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:47 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,492,077 times
Is office work better than retail? Ask any person in retail if they would rather be in an office, then ask any person in an office if they would rather be in retail and see what they say.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:41 AM

6,592 posts, read 11,298,379 times
"Office job" vs. Retail isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison. One is a type of work environment, and the other is a line of work. There are non-office jobs that are not retail, and there are retail jobs within office environments.

Just my .02 - at 18, you've really only started to work. And some of what you "hate" may have more to do with a lack of experience in dealing with challenges or the environment itself. I'd take it in stride, some of the skills you develop in retail can easily be advantageous in other sectors. Just to use your examples - dealing with difficult people and communications. Those are challenges that you'll definitely see in office environment as well. And in certain circumstances, the rude person could be a co-worker that you'll need to deal with daily (not just an occasional customer). And being able to convey the same message in different ways is a communication skill that takes place all the time in the corporate world (you would not communicate the same message to engineers as you would to C-level executives).

Old 03-02-2012, 01:58 PM

434 posts, read 552,915 times
Working in retail isn't for everybody. A lot of people who work in retail are good at working with the general public. I've worked in retail for the past 8 years, and have dealt with a few rude people. You just can't let them get to you.

I really enjoy seeing a lot of the regular customers and having a little conversation with them when they come in. The rude ones, the vast majority of them I pretty much forget about within a few minutes.

This lady who I had never seen before was giving me crap about how she thought I overcharged her. I just went over the receipt with her and explained where the high total came up. One of the regular customers at where I work came in when she was still there. I told him about it after the lady left and we both still joke about it when he comes in.

When you buy this and this and this, you are going to have to pay that amount, and it may be more than you thought it was going to be.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:18 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,195,057 times
Work is work, but in my opinion office work is preferably more attractive on the resume to future employers then retail work.

If you do get the job as a receptionist, you still have to "deal with the public", if you truly don't want "deal with the public", go and find a job in a factory. That being said, I was like you at 18, hated working retail and the public but with my experience it was the only job I could find and keep through my college years, but looking back it did help me develop and to hone my social skills.

Good luck with the job

Old 03-02-2012, 02:21 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,195,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Is office work better than retail? Ask any person in retail if they would rather be in an office, then ask any person in an office if they would rather be in retail and see what they say.

It's funny how many people think the grass is greener on the other side only to find out that office and retail is still work with its own advantages and disadvantages.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:50 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,703,331 times
I work in retail and there is no way I would want to sit my behind in one spot for eight hours a day! GAG! Did that fir one year most boring boring ..

Old 03-02-2012, 06:17 PM

434 posts, read 552,915 times
I've never worked in an office setting, but some people I know who do say there have been times where there has been a lot of drama between coworkers. Backstabbing between coworkers, and 'water cooler gossip'. They have had coworkers who have been only out for themselves and don't work as part of a team, or they want to look good because there is so much competition for promotions.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:25 PM

29,837 posts, read 24,933,447 times
In my opinion, they both suck. Never worked retail, but I had an office job for a few years. Mostly spent working away from the office, but being in the office itself was a major drag. Usually there is a few people that find a way to ruin the place for everyone. Oh, and the politics and bickering... yuck. Almost like being in high school again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment