Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 03:48 PM

771 posts, read 1,401,649 times

Advertisements

Let's say you apply for a job. Then you get an email saying they want to phone interview you, but would also like you to send you your salary requirements/range. You do so. You have the phone interview, it goes great, salary isn't discussed in this phone interview though. You then get scheduled for the second round interview.

So does this mean that since you gave your salary range and that you have moved into the next round that the salary range you gave them fit for what they are looking to offer?

I am assuming if you were asking too much you might have not made it to the next round, right? I am just curious to hear...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 04:56 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,915,838 times
Yes.. they would not have even done the phone interview if your salary range was unacceptable to them.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:14 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,252,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Yes.. they would not have even done the phone interview if your salary range was unacceptable to them.
I don't agree. You can't assume anything. They can turn around and offer you less. Doesn't mean they will, but there is no guarantee.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:55 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,223,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I don't agree. You can't assume anything. They can turn around and offer you less. Doesn't mean they will, but there is no guarantee.

Well, we all know that.

Usually if you provide a RANGE and their salary figures fall within that range, it's a good chance they will offer you something within the range.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,825 posts, read 81,804,326 times
I would say that it means nothing. If it's anywhere close to their range they might interview you, and if you are the best option, offer less than you gave as the bottom, because it's worth a try, and if you decline, they can always go with their 2nd choice.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:00 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,959,309 times
Everyone is assuming that the people on the other end of the phone or email and at the phone interview are all competent and talking to each other. You may give them a range but the person who received the range may have no idea what the range is - he/she is just scheduling the interview and was given a list of questions. Your salary range info could sit in some file for two weeks until it is time for the hiring team to even look at it.

There are probably a dozen threads on this forum describing people who are PO'd that they jumped through all these hoops and missed work for interviews just to find out later that they were excluded due to a simply technicality or showstopper.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:01 AM

52 posts, read 89,021 times
If there is one thing I learned going through the recruitment process it is to never assume or analyze anything. The scenarios for your situation are infinite. You will only know what the salary for this position will be when it is presented to you.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:33 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,190,323 times
If someone gives me too high a range I won't even bother to interview them.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:03 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,962,705 times
For my current position, I gave a range that was slightly higher than the range they were seeking, though close. I got the interview, and at the end, I got offered the highest of their range. The boss explained that he was lucky he was getting to hire anyone as the corporation is officially in a hiring freeze, but he'd do what he could, when he could. A couple days ago, he came to my office (I'm placed in a client site, for the client's convenience) and stated that my PNLs are exceeding their expectations so HIS boss sent him to the site to make sure I wasn't doing anything shady. As I'm not, and the client is happy (as am I... LOVE my new job!) they're offering me a bonus, based on the PNLs.

Sometimes, you get a GOOD boss, that recognizes good work and good employees and understands that the right person MAKES them money and they do what they can to keep that person happy - even in tough times, to ensure the employee stays with them when things start getting better. Not everyone's a cheapskate looking to screw people.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:45 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,685,185 times
You can't make assumptions. I was offered a salary that exceeded the range I gave when I was first asked. Anything can happen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment