Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 11:16 AM

327 posts, read 595,608 times

Advertisements

I'm applying for places out of state and if I happen to get any interviews, whether it be by phone or me having to fly there, I'm wondering on when I get back, if it's ok to send a "Thank You" email to the person? Just out of curiosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 11:54 AM

475 posts, read 1,373,167 times
That would be common courtesy yes. Most interview guides will cover post-interview "to-dos".

Old 01-14-2012, 12:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,706 posts, read 81,563,799 times
I have to say that the last person we hired sent a hand signed, actual
"Thank You" card, and it was really nice to get such a thing for the first time
in my many years hiring people. We'd selected him before it came but it helped confirm that we made a good choice.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:15 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,248,415 times
Why wouldn't you just send a handwritten Thank You note? It would mean a great deal more, because an e-mail is about the least you can do.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:55 PM

327 posts, read 595,608 times
Oh I for sure would rather send a personal card through the mail. But I was just asking cause one company I applied at, the contact person didn't have an address down, so I don't what their 'mail stop' would be to send them one.
If I got an over the phone interview, is it ok to ask them the address and mail stop right afterwards?

Old 01-14-2012, 05:13 PM

756 posts, read 2,120,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Why wouldn't you just send a handwritten Thank You note? It would mean a great deal more, because an e-mail is about the least you can do.
It'll take 2-3 days or more for that person to receive it. Email is the preferred way of communicating with others.

Unless you mean draft a letter, print it, sign it, scan it and then email it.

With email, it's instant. Time matters. The applicant could get a rejection email before the interviewer receives the handwritten Thank You note. It would leave the applicant feeling a bit foolish.

I think if one wants the job, it's best to convey that interest right after the interview with an email preferably the night after the interview. If one is still rejected, it wasn't meant to be - but atleast the applicant made the best effort.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:16 PM

50,439 posts, read 64,233,743 times
Honestly, in my experience, if they are not going to hire you, you will be lucky to even get any communication to let you know. A hand written note will not make a whit of difference unless they really want you anyway.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:27 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,701,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have to say that the last person we hired sent a hand signed, actual
"Thank You" card, and it was really nice to get such a thing for the first time
in my many years hiring people. We'd selected him before it came but it helped confirm that we made a good choice.
I would have hired him too...

Old 01-14-2012, 05:30 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,248,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
It'll take 2-3 days or more for that person to receive it. Email is the preferred way of communicating with others.

Unless you mean draft a letter, print it, sign it, scan it and then email it.

With email, it's instant. Time matters. The applicant could get a rejection email before the interviewer receives the handwritten Thank You note. It would leave the applicant feeling a bit foolish.

I think if one wants the job, it's best to convey that interest right after the interview with an email preferably the night after the interview. If one is still rejected, it wasn't meant to be - but atleast the applicant made the best effort.
Knocking out an e-mail doesn't even remotely constitute best effort. Doing so is about the bare minimum when it comes to business etiquette, if that. It's phoning it in.

The interviewer doesn't care if a message instantaneously arrives in his or her in-box within an hour of the meeting's conclusion. They care about the nature and quality of the communication. What's more, dashing off an e-mail could mean it goes into the interviewers spam filter never to be seen again.

Nope. The simple penning of a thank-you note takes about five minutes, a small amount of time to invest in actually getting the job you want. It demonstrates that you go the extra mile. If it arrives within a couple of days of the interview, it's no big deal at all.

And if the thank-you note arrives after the rejection letter has gone out the door, so what? If a decision has been made that early, then the candidate was wholly unsuited for the job to begin with. However, if the interviewer has to choose between several different candidates of roughly equal qualifications, then I can pretty much guarantee that a handwritten thank you note will separate you from the crowd. And every little bit helps.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:32 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,563,006 times
i have always done that works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment