Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:55 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,730,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I gotcha. Very good.

But the advice still stands. I had tons of experience with jerks including as being one and realizing how I was best dealt with. People who get the job done and make the company money should be tolerated even if they're jerks; I tolerated productive jerks who worked for me and would even cater to them, whatever got the job done best and made the contractor money satisfied my ego. When you're mature you realize that you should never kiss ass up but kissing ass down or laterally is often productive. Big men can kiss ass down or over. But never up, never. Indeed, willingness to kiss ass down is a show of REAL power.
Good advice overall. Just having a bit of fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 10:09 AM

548 posts, read 1,217,152 times
Don't let it bother you. Just do your work well and don't worry about other people's attitudes. If his is that bad, then it will catch up to him.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:18 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,747,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Good advice overall. Just having a bit of fun.

I know. I admired you quick comeback; as a ballbuster I enjoy having my balls busted in turn.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:23 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
People seek their own level. If this guy is like this to everybody, then he won't last. Stop worry about it.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:32 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,209,625 times
[quote=STT Resident;22492483]I had experience with someone who exactly fits that description. I did exactly the opposite of what christina proposes. I simply called him out in front of the office every time he was rude or condescending - but with a big smile and a cheery tone of voice, as in, "Oh no, what did I do/say to deserve THAT look/tone of voice?" It worked like a charm and before long he was acting "normally".[/quote]

Not good advice for male on male... Might start a fight, lol

Old 01-12-2012, 10:37 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,564,935 times
Quote:
I continue to have frustrations with a co-worker. He is in a lateral, or slightly lower, position than I am. We report to the same boss, but he also reports to me for some items. Yet I sense no respect from.

Today at a meeting I was leading, he had an expression that made it clear it was a total waste of his time. Many times when I speak to or email him, he answers either abruptly and rudely, or in a condescending tone.

He has an attitude about him that conveys that what he is working on is infinitely more important than anyone else is working on. For example, we recently reorganized and were supposed to move closer to other departments so we could communicate better. After one day however, he moved back to his old cubicle near the boss's office (actually he tried to snag a recently-vacated corner office but that got shot down). His reasoning was that what he was working on was so sensitive he couldn't risk having people walk by his desk and seeing what was on his screen.

It's not like I've been promoted above him even though he has better qualifications. He has about 8 years less work experience than I do. He has a bachelor's degree, I have a masters. I've been with company a few months longer than he has.

He does good work and is smart. It just really seems like he's lacking respect for certain people, when he believes he could do their jobs better. Apparently that includes me. This is really the first time I've dealt with this kind of situation. What have you all done?
Been there done that! You are singing to the choir. I had a female employee once who was rude and manipulative mainly to me. I am the OM in a medical office. She wanted my job and did everything that she could to try to get me fired. Eventually she ended up quitting and finding another place to terrorize! She didn't last long there either. My boss - the doctor just loved her though!

Old 01-12-2012, 10:39 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,564,935 times
I forgot to add that the terrorist secretary I was referring to was an excellent worker, but not an excellent employee if that makes sense! She was very organized and punctual and on her good days could be very witty and likeable.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:05 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,079,377 times
Quote:
... frustrations with a co-worker. ... abruptly
and rudely, or in a condescending tone.
There is a good chance that your cow-orker's tone gets picked up by others.

He might be physically inadequate.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:13 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Jesus Christ, so you think one of the people you work with is an jerk, big deal, there are millions of jerks out there. Just put your nose to the grindstone and do your own job and quit worrying about how he does his job. Grow a thicker skin.
That's good advice if the jerk isn't involved in any projects that you're working on.

If the OP has to deal with this person in any assignments and has deadlines to meet there are people who will go out of their way to sabotoge a project to make someone else look bad.

I worked with someone just like that.

We had a meeting with a very upset client who started the meeting off by saying "I'm going to play bad cop" and then went on tirade.

This "jerk" could hardly contain their delight. I could never understand it, because they were part of the same dept, yet they would do things(including holding on to customer requests so that projects would be delayed) to make others look bad.

It wasn't normal behavior, a normal person wouldn't risk making their whole dept. look bad like that.

We were able to turn around the "bad cop's" opinion and after the meeting the jerk actually stormed off and sulked. They were upset that issues were cleared up.

There are people out there who if you have to interact with them, or work on a project with, you better document and CYA and speak to someone higher up about the problem.

Until I experienced it first hand, I couldn't believe people at work would do this.

This way if the SHTF, you have covered yourself.

So you can't always ignore it.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:23 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,902,569 times
He's not directing his attitude at you specifically so there's absolutely no need for you to respond specifically. Just do your job. There are all kinds of personalities and attitudes in the workplace and if you want a successful career, you need to learn to adapt to them so you can still get your work done.

Maybe the guy's just a jerk, or maybe he's acting this way because, despite your comparitive equality, behind the scenes he's being paid far less than you, or was promised something from the company that he's not getting. You don't know, and it ain't your business, and when it comes to your career, it doesn't matter why he is the way he is.

If the situation gets to the point that he is interfering with your ability to get your job done, then speak to your supervisor, but be careful to keep the conversation focused on tasks not on attitudes or personalities. Complaining to your boss simply because you don't like him is going to make you the problem in the eyes of management.

In my experience, people with attitude problems oftentimes dig their own grave, they don't need any help from you! In this case, for example, his decision to relocate back to his old desk could indeed cause communication issues with the other departments that will ultimately reflect in his work product and be detrimental to his career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment