Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 02:06 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,710,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
The 'haters' are trying to point out that you don't have the right to work only with people you don't find offensive for some reason. A completely separate issue from the secondhand smoke debate.

Exactly. I sometimes find myself working with a client with a ton of perfume or cologne on. The smell can be overpowering and annoying. However, sometimes one just has to buck it up in the office and deal. There is a world of difference between something that is dangerous and something that is merely offensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 02:23 PM

8 posts, read 20,368 times
I am someone that quit smoking back on August 19 of this year and, within 3 days, could notice the horrible odor put out by smokers again like I could when I was a child. I completely understand the argument that people are making about having to smell it...

However, as someone already stated, it is that person's right to smoke. To say otherwise is foolish. More and more these days, our rights as human beings are being dwindled away and people that support that idea are the reason why. It would be like someone telling you that it's not your right to eat whatever you want or enjoy your favorite hobby. Just because you dislike smoking does not mean it is not another person's right to do it.

By the way, this is my first post on this website so hello to everyone!

Old 10-25-2011, 02:25 PM

863 posts, read 2,995,420 times
Not long ago one of our local TV channels ran a PSA on a mother who smoked in the garage, then went in the house and picked up her child. The point was there is still risk of exposure to toxic chemicals that remain on the body and skin even if someone goes to another location to smoke.

Third-hand smoke a danger to babies, toddlers - Health - Addictions - msnbc.com

"A new study reveals that the residue of nicotine that lingers on surfaces can react with another chemical in the air to form potent carcinogens — chemicals linked to various cancers. While first-hand smoke is that inhaled directly by the smoker and second-hand is the smoke exhaled (and inhaled by others), third-hand smoke is the residue from second-hand smoke. "

While the article specifically refers to the dangers to infants and small children, there remains some level of toxicity on the clothing and hands of those who return the building after a smoke.

Granted, there's probably not much one can DO about it, but it IS a valid health concern.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:29 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,977,270 times
I just hope they smoke those cigs that smell good. Kinda sweet smelling, you know the ones.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:58 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,493,805 times
I think what Ron period and the chemo guy are failing to realize is that unless the employer specifically has a no smoking policy for employees, or a policy stating that employee's cannot smoke during the workday, there is nothing to prevent these people from smoking in the designated smoke area at break time. You have no fight in this battle. You cannot legislate smells. No one is talking about smoking inside here. They are talking about doing something that is legal, on their own time or allotted break time. I would sure love the office to smell like baking apple pie during the day instead of BO, but there is nothing I can do to change that, unless there is a bonafide company change. Much like your predicaments. If you want to try to get the policy changed, go for it, otherwise find other employment if they will not change the policy and you cannot deal with it.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:37 PM

412 posts, read 680,219 times
Interesting article on third hand smoke... make of it what you will. I just found it worth the read. A lot of these researchers use "smoke and mirrors" to produce the results they'd like.

Third Hand Smoke - The Latest Fiction from the Nicotine Nannies | Quick Hitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso1979 View Post
Not long ago one of our local TV channels ran a PSA on a mother who smoked in the garage, then went in the house and picked up her child. The point was there is still risk of exposure to toxic chemicals that remain on the body and skin even if someone goes to another location to smoke.

Third-hand smoke a danger to babies, toddlers - Health - Addictions - msnbc.com

"A new study reveals that the residue of nicotine that lingers on surfaces can react with another chemical in the air to form potent carcinogens — chemicals linked to various cancers. While first-hand smoke is that inhaled directly by the smoker and second-hand is the smoke exhaled (and inhaled by others), third-hand smoke is the residue from second-hand smoke. "

While the article specifically refers to the dangers to infants and small children, there remains some level of toxicity on the clothing and hands of those who return the building after a smoke.

Granted, there's probably not much one can DO about it, but it IS a valid health concern.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:00 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,679,670 times
Well, one plus to smoking coworkers is if they're not where they're supposed to be, you know where to look: just outside the building.

But it is a productivity issue to some; coworkers at places that are lax about smoke breaks tend to resent that smokers only work 50 minutes for every hour they're paid.

And I resent that every year, as the weather gets colder, smokers take over the INDOOR portion of the building's loading dock and smoke inside the building, despite it being illegal.

And the fact that smokers, as a group (not every individual), are litterbugs! They throw the nasty butt on the lawn or the walkway, IGNORING the receptacles provided. Some even let the cellophane wrapper fly away in the wind when they open a new pack. WTF is all your problems? Who does that? (Oh, yeah, smokers do.)

Old 10-25-2011, 06:03 PM

30,383 posts, read 52,001,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
What you fail to recognize is the fact that second hand smoke causes illnesses and lung problems especially folks that have asthma or another aliment. I guess its alright if it dosn't bother other people but the bottom of the line is that second hand smoke causes problems. If your outside that can be dealt with but inside the smoke winds its way thru the building. So next time you light up inside just remember the universe does not revolve around you so quit blowin smoke in my area.
Today I had an allergy attack followed by a severe aural migraine, after helping a co-worker (with a project) who was wearing cologne... but instead of whining about it or calling him names, I just took a Tylenol and stepped away for a few minutes. Get over yourself and learn to deal - other people aren't always going to be exactly how you want.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:08 PM

30,383 posts, read 52,001,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
Well, one plus to smoking coworkers is if they're not where they're supposed to be, you know where to look: just outside the building.

But it is a productivity issue to some; coworkers at places that are lax about smoke breaks tend to resent that smokers only work 50 minutes for every hour they're paid.

And I resent that every year, as the weather gets colder, smokers take over the INDOOR portion of the building's loading dock and smoke inside the building, despite it being illegal.

And the fact that smokers, as a group (not every individual), are litterbugs! They throw the nasty butt on the lawn or the walkway, IGNORING the receptacles provided. Some even let the cellophane wrapper fly away in the wind when they open a new pack. WTF is all your problems? Who does that? (Oh, yeah, smokers do.)
You're talking about rude people (and litterbugs) with low work ethics, and those qualities are neither limited to nor congruent with smokers. I'm taking a smoke break right now, and it's the first break I've had in 3 hours - and it'll last about 5 minutes if I'm lucky. Oh yeah, and now that they've added an ashtray to our courtyard, that's where all of my butts go when I'm done.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:20 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,530,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Today I had an allergy attack followed by a severe aural migraine, after helping a co-worker (with a project) who was wearing cologne... but instead of whining about it or calling him names, I just took a Tylenol and stepped away for a few minutes. Get over yourself and learn to deal - other people aren't always going to be exactly how you want.
That's your fault for putting your health at risk by not saying anything. Some people care enough about their health to not want to deal with smokers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment