Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 01:31 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,144,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Gaps are in the HR book of baseless generalizations and red flags. Any gap in your work history and HR assumes you were secretly in prison/mental institution for something or left a job off your resume where you were fired for beating up coworkers and making photocopies of your butt all day.

If they allow you to explain it even something like volunteering to help dying children in the hospital might not satisfy them.
I love this post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 01:44 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,229,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Gaps are in the HR book of baseless generalizations and red flags. Any gap in your work history and HR assumes you were secretly in prison/mental institution for something or left a job off your resume where you were fired for beating up coworkers and making photocopies of your butt all day.

If they allow you to explain it even something like volunteering to help dying children in the hospital might not satisfy them.
I would just put the volunteer job on my resume rather than leave it blank.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:02 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,945,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I would just put the volunteer job on my resume rather than leave it blank.
Exactly. Work experience doesn't have to be paid.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:54 PM

11,368 posts, read 11,119,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Employer: "So. You've got quite a gap there. What have you been doing since your last job?"

Me: "Practicing musical instruments so there's the slim chance that I can pursue doing something that I love later in life. I only work in this career because it pays for my corn flakes, beer, and a roof over my head. And so do most of the people that work for you, and probably the next guy who comes through the door. He'll only pretend to have a life passion for ______. But I am a hard worker, and will work my a@@ off when needed."

Always been meaning to try this. Haven't had the balls to do it yet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
You should. Then they'll think "He's just a straight shooter with upper management written all over him".
Hah hah! Great movie that was! As mentioned in other posts, it's an employers market. If you are even lucky enough to obtain an interview, does it really matter how you filled your time? These days, I don't think HR managers even bother differentiating between the person that was unemployed for a couple years and filled his time drinking beer, jerking off, and playing X-Box all day versus the graduate student who feverishly knocked out a degree while volunteering with multiple community agencies, or the stay at home parent who toiled with homeschooling their two children while maintaining a healthy non-latchkey environment for them.

Sad to say, but I'm beginning to believe that (and least in the near future) people have better odds trying to win the lottery these days than they do of landing the great job they have always dreamed of getting to pay off the exhorbant student loans they accumulated during their "pursuit of happiness".

I'm a graduate student in a full time program, and I volunteer for several community organizations while maintaining the homestead while my wife works two jobs. I apologize upfront for not delegating life's duties to the nanny state. The truth of the matter is that I have been unemployed for several years after working 17 years in the real world (and those were not 9-5 jobs either). If my employment gap is the reason I am not being invited to an interview, I guess I am guilty as charged!

People can start fighting back against companies that refuse to hire the unemployed. Here's a link to just some of those businesses that choose to engage in this discriminatory practice. Do your part. Don't help them profit. One that is not on the list (unless I missed it) is Sony. There are MANY more not listed.

72 Companies That Might Not Hire You Unless You Already Have A Job

Old 09-05-2011, 06:58 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,162,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Hah hah! Great movie that was! As mentioned in other posts, it's an employers market. If you are even lucky enough to obtain an interview, does it really matter how you filled your time? These days, I don't think HR managers even bother differentiating between the person that was unemployed for a couple years and filled his time drinking beer, jerking off, and playing X-Box all day versus the graduate student who feverishly knocked out a degree while volunteering with multiple community agencies, or the stay at home parent who toiled with homeschooling their two children while maintaining a healthy non-latchkey environment for them.

Sad to say, but I'm beginning to believe that (and least in the near future) people have better odds trying to win the lottery these days than they do of landing the great job they have always dreamed of getting to pay off the exhorbant student loans they accumulated during their "pursuit of happiness".

I'm a graduate student in a full time program, and I volunteer for several community organizations while maintaining the homestead while my wife works two jobs. I apologize upfront for not delegating life's duties to the nanny state. The truth of the matter is that I have been unemployed for several years after working 17 years in the real world (and those were not 9-5 jobs either). If my employment gap is the reason I am not being invited to an interview, I guess I am guilty as charged!

People can start fighting back against companies that refuse to hire the unemployed. Here's a link to just some of those businesses that choose to engage in this discriminatory practice. Do your part. Don't help them profit. One that is not on the list (unless I missed it) is Sony. There are MANY more not listed.

72 Companies That Might Not Hire You Unless You Already Have A Job
I thought the only way to fight back was impressive the interviewer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment