Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 05:15 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,770,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
It is more tragic when you realize that she is going to give up a well paying job and put her moving expenses on a credit card to relocate for this so called "position."
Well if she has a well paying job why is she having to charge her move? Are you saying she doesn't even have enough in savings to pay for the move?

And why Philadelphia? Is there a romantic interest there or does she know people there?

I can't imagine taking a job without visiting the site. Does she at least have an offer in writing?

I would think there must be other people besides you who are concerned about this and would speak up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 05:25 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,978,216 times
I just got hired from CL - two phone interviews and a couple emails - most via smartphone. No face to face. I was asked to submit salary requirements when I initially applied. It wasn't mentioned again until the 'offer email'. As the only people I'll be seeing face to face are co-workers (all customer contact will be via phone, for my position) it didn't seem odd to me, though some of my friends/family all thought it was a scam and that I'd been 'had'. They have my resume, but no personal information other than what's written on that was asked for previous to my starting day.

Things are certainly different these days.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:28 AM

398 posts, read 1,368,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I just got hired from CL - two phone interviews and a couple emails - most via smartphone. No face to face. I was asked to submit salary requirements when I initially applied. It wasn't mentioned again until the 'offer email'. As the only people I'll be seeing face to face are co-workers (all customer contact will be via phone, for my position) it didn't seem odd to me, though some of my friends/family all thought it was a scam and that I'd been 'had'. They have my resume, but no personal information other than what's written on that was asked for previous to my starting day.

If this is a "work at home" job for a reputable online company, then that's understandable... but for a "work on-site" office job?
It's possible that some work onsite office job offers done this way are legit but it is not normal at all. (excluding some manual labor jobs)

Usually, when a person is hired without a personal interview is because his reputation pre-ceeded him where the company heard of him and sought him out... or he was highly recommended by a close friend or relative of the employer... not for complete strangers whom they only know from a resume.

On your part, You have no problems accepting a job offer without ever seeing the company in person and you don't mind not seeing any of your co-workers or where you will actually be working until you show up on location for the first day of work? ( That's unusual too, although I can understand the Coca-Cola applicant being excited enough to overlook that because of the company's reputation.)

They do need your personal information before you can start working, so as long as that is done in-person on your first day... I guess it may be ok... but I'm not sure from your posting whether you have already started working or not.

I've heard of cases where offices are temporarily set up to scam a large group of applicants... like fake modeling agencies and fake telemarketing companies... and the office & furniture suddenly disappear overnight when the company is "exposed"... so I'm still not sure it's not a scam until you cash your 1st paycheck... in these cases, sometimes the employees are hired to be part of the scam so the company isn't picky about who they hire.

Last edited by raymond2; 07-26-2011 at 07:45 AM..

Old 07-26-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post

Sorry, that is not normal at all. It is not how things are done these days.

People are going on site to interview for a temp job at not only the agency but to the company itself.

Many people are having 2 and sometimes interviews on site for full time jobs.

Why wouldn't you want to see where and who you're working with? And why wouldn't they want to see you?

Even if someone is interviewing long distance a video conference is done.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:58 PM

I just saw on one of your other threads that the job is only 5 miles from your house? I find that even stranger that they wouldn't have you come in person.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:20 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,978,216 times
It's a small business. Paperwork was filled out on my first day. It is not a "work at home" situation - the boss mainly works from home apparently, but he needs/wants admin to be present in the office. Though some assembly is done at the small warehouse (manufacturing) the majority of the work is done "on site" at various locations throughout the world by installers - some of my time will be spent making last minute travel arrangements and finding and procuring equipment rental for the installers near their job sites.

I will say that I had a small, niggling fear before I walked into the office for the first time. I kept reminding myself that sometimes even though something sounds too good to be true, sometimes it IS true. Case in point, when we were self employed, we had a really hard time hiring someone. The pay was too high - but our profit margins were huge and we wanted to be generous. We cut it in half and finally had applicants - the guy we ended up hiring told us that his parents kept telling him we were going to scam him, because the pay was still REALLY high for that type of work. We hired him sight unseen (from another state) but we knew his sister. "Funny" story... I had been complaining to her about our difficulty in hiring someone - mentioned the pay. She said nothing. The following week, I told her that someone had mentioned that it sounded like a scam, so we were cutting it in half - at which point she told me that her brother was out of work and would really LOVE to make that money (the lower amount). We were stunned, but it was what it was.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 481 times
Hi Guys well I received a text from this Person telling me that they would pay me $500 a week plus I could receive my first payment of $250 with in 2 days of posting adds I know this is B.S so I am just going to see were or how far this person takes it. I will post up date on this but here is what he is telling me so far.

Okay You will be in charge of posting ads for our company which you will be earning $500 weekly though you can get part of your payment after 2days of work which is $250, i hope that sounds fine..?

Old 06-27-2016, 04:18 AM

521 posts, read 296,166 times
what is the name of the person who offered the job? is he/she on linkedin? is he/she connected to real coca cola employees on linkedin?

I think also if she uses linkedin then she should make the company aware of the scam.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:44 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,534,608 times
Although the govt often hires off a phone interview, it is very rare in the private sector. A large multinational for sure would fly the candidate out for an interview. Could she be hired for a contract role? A lot of these big companies use fly by night (indian) staffing agencies to hire contract workers. They can be flaky and appear scamy and many don't act very professionally but they can get you actual contract jobs.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 337 times
I just replyed to a cola coca to advertising for them off my account, I have had people hack my craiglist account trying to sell off it. They say they will pay 500 weekly and 250 in the frist week but I ask if they have a website they say NO Well you know that company has a damn website. frist clue and then they use slang words yea instead of yes you know professional ways .And I think I better not go though with it .>>???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment