Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 01:13 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,649,049 times

Advertisements

One of my best friends is working at a big-four accounting firm. He is in the process of finishing up his CPA this year. He graduated last May in college and is 23.

He has been working there for about a year and a half in their tax department.

One of the issues he is having is that the department he is in is severely understaffed. He is working around 55 hours/week and occasionally 60 --- and it's not even busy season (early spring), of which he sometimes worked upwards of 70 hours/week. There have been times where he's been working until 10pm at night, comes home, then is back at 830am the next morning, and then saturdays as well. They have tried to hire a few people, but they are leaving quickly

Needless to say, we have other friends who are working in public accounting who, during the off season work normal 40-hour weeks, and 60 during busy season, although paid 10-15% less.

I've tried to talk with him and he's on the edge. He hates working this much -- he doesn't have much of a social life. On the other hand, he's on track to be a senior associate in 2-3 years making $75k and manager in 5 years making $90k.

I've been trying to convince him to find another job -- even if it means not making as much. He's clearly not happy that he can't do the things he enjoys (such as running or getting out to see his family), but likes the earning potential.

Thoughts? I just hate to see him go down the hole, living to work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 01:18 PM

763 posts, read 2,613,224 times
Sounds like he's a prime candidate for JBO (job burnout) in a very short while. The $$$$ may be good, but when you don't have the time nor the energy to enjoy it, what's the point? Your life is spent at the office.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:22 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,471,898 times
You can lead a horse to water.

You've shown him there are other options. He's chosen to stay put.

Nothing you can do.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:14 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,860,449 times
You keep saying what you think his feelings are. "He hates working this much", but does he like his job? Does he like the track he is on? Is he willing to do the work to get where he wants? Your entire post sounds as if it is more about how you feel than he feels

Old 10-04-2012, 05:25 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,649,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
You keep saying what you think his feelings are. "He hates working this much", but does he like his job? Does he like the track he is on? Is he willing to do the work to get where he wants? Your entire post sounds as if it is more about how you feel than he feels
Based on the texts I get at 930 at night every once in awhile "WTF I'm just leaving the office now", I'd say he's pretty unhappy. It seems like talking with him, the biggest tie-up is the $$ issue.

I just want to help him out... and to help him get a girlfriend, but that's a whole other issue haha

Old 10-04-2012, 06:00 PM

30,115 posts, read 25,227,618 times
I've worked those types of hours for extended periods of time. Sometimes years on end and rarely taking vacations. If he's anything like me, he'll last a few years, realize money isn't everything, and find something requiring fewer hours. Hopefully he's saving a bulk of his income so it will make the transition to a lower paying gig less of a challenge.

This is why I hate it when people feel higher income earners should be paying more in taxes these days. People have no idea what a lot of people have to go through to make +70k a year.

As far as helping him... What can you really do? Obviously the money is worth it to him, otherwise he wouldn't be working he hours. Don't see where the problem is really. Everyone has to make choices in life, and he is making his. It could work out very well for him if he decides to save the money. Having a cushion of money can really prevent a lot of extra stress down the road.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:28 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,310,512 times
This seems very normal to me for someone working in big 4 accounting. Either he didn't do his research or he was lied to. But his research should have told him this is pretty normal anyway.

What exactly are you asking though?

Old 10-04-2012, 06:57 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,050,472 times
This is normal for the Big 4, but in a few years, whether with them or elsewhere, the return to him will be sweet, and the hours far shorter at that time.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:33 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,561,302 times
Yes, this is normal for Big 4. It's great that he's actually getting paid 10-15% more, too - usually they don't pay anything at all for OT.

As for him insinuating that he hates it, but staying there -- it's very common for younger people to send mixed messages. He probably does hate it but he likes the dough & job security.

After awhile he'll figure out which is more important to him. In Big 4 it does seem that those who work crazy hours get promoted faster.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:06 PM

570 posts, read 1,734,757 times
I used to work for Deloitte, they are not going to pay for OT either. 50+ hours a week is just normal. haha, The sick thing is i got used to it after awhile.

And i'm not in even in accounting department or has anything to do with accounting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment