Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 02:50 PM

121 posts, read 353,521 times

Advertisements

Need some suggestions for a career change..alittle bit about my work background:

Medical Asst. (4yrs exp in Ob/gyn and Cardiology)
BSW in Social Work (worked for 6+yrs in Mental health and Foster Care)
Flight Attendant for the past 5yrs

I thought about getting back into the SW field but would like to use my skills from my previous experience and do something different. Unfort breaking into a new career during these times will be a challenge. I always wanted to get into Pharmaceutical Sales but it's been next to impossible to break into with no sales exp. other than retail many many years ago.

I'm a people person, well-traveled/cultured, outgoing, can deal with many types of personalities (esp. cranky business men) and work well in stressful situations. (think 16hr flight to Hong Kong with 400+ passengers which for the most part do not speak English)

Any Suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 08:59 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,675,618 times
Default I'm a current social worker

and i'm always asking myself that question!!

Old 07-16-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
and i'm always asking myself that question!!

I haven't worked in the field for 5yrs...had an opportunity to work for a major airline in 2006 so I went for it..however, the physical demands of my job are taking a toll on me (12hrs days, waking up at 3:30am to get ready for work, lack of sleep, etc) and the overall lifestyle does not appeal to me anymore. I had a great time seeing the world but I'm over it. So going back to SW is kinda my only option at this point. Trying to move to Denver soon.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:54 AM

BTW...SW was LESS stressful than being an FA! lol...actually the jobs are quite similar

Old 07-16-2011, 09:55 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Become a RN. There's going to be a shortage of nurses in the future, especially in places like Florida. Some colleges have a special 18 month intensive program.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:13 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,901,626 times
how about something like hospital/medical administration? it would capitalize on both your medical background and your customer-service experience.

There are any number of environments you could work in, from major teaching hospital to a small private medical practice to a public clinic to a retirement home.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:29 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
A bachelor degree in Social Work will keep you in low paying case management work, if you want more money go with Masters in Social Work, and specialize in employee assistant progrm, market yourself as a contractor to major airlines for diversion programs for pilots needing to meet DOT regulations, as a CSW you can do SAP counseling for DOT evaluations.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:48 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Become a RN. There's going to be a shortage of nurses in the future, especially in places like Florida. Some colleges have a special 18 month intensive program.

Ok...so I'm going to post these links for the umpteenth millonth time...there is NO nursing shortage and there won't be for decades to come:

Are colleges oversupplying nurses? | MinnEcon | Minnesota Public Radio

*UNEMPLOYED NURSES* - Nursing for Nurses

There has been thread after thread after thread about the supposed nursing shortage. There isn't one and there won't be one for decades. For profit schools are churning out nurses so fast that if they shut down today there wouldn't be a shortage for 20-30 years if then even. The fallicy is as our population ages more nurses will be needed...wrong. Nurses are being replaced by the 12 week wonders called certified nursing assistants...there will be a need for plenty of these low paid, poorly educated, unlicensed personnel. Also, there is a "new" breed of cna called the med tech, they get a few more weeks of training and in many places like long term care or assisted living they are passing medications out.

I find this beyond appalling and unsafe, that someone is giving meds without the extensive pathophysiology and pharmacology to understand what they are giving, why, the side effects ect. Dumming down of the care giver has been going on for a while now and will continue to grow, why...for the all mighty dollar.

Nursing staff is being replaced by poorly educated and low paid staff, so there will be no shortage for decades to come.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
A bachelor degree in Social Work will keep you in low paying case management work, if you want more money go with Masters in Social Work, and specialize in employee assistant progrm, market yourself as a contractor to major airlines for diversion programs for pilots needing to meet DOT regulations, as a CSW you can do SAP counseling for DOT evaluations.

I agree! I have been thinking about getting my MSW for sometime now...it would open so many more doors for me. Case management is not the most horrible job in the world but it is low paying for sure 29k-43k(with experience) and you are limited in what you can do. It seems like the jobs I want you need to have your LCSW. (school system, hosp, EAP, Voc Rehab, Family Counselor, etc)

Old 07-17-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
how about something like hospital/medical administration? it would capitalize on both your medical background and your customer-service experience.

Hospital Administration would require a MHA..Masters in Hospital Administration..I know this only because a good friend of mine is a HA. She worked her A$$ off to get to this point. (working long days and sometimes 6 days a week)She is 39 now and just within the last few yrs she is finally where she wants to be. So proud of her! Thanks for the advice though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment