Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:08 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,137,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Just wondering. I guess you can make it in Fla on $8 an hour, but im seeing that in LA for non-retail jobs also. What do they expect? How do you create loyalty? Thats just above poverty level...
I don't think you can really expect "loyalty" at those posts, but not everybody lives by themselves. $8 / hour perfectly doable if most of your bills are paid and you live with your family. In fact, then $8 / hour can afford you a life of small luxury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 09:34 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,233,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
My baby sitter does it with food stamps
IF you had food stamps, section 8 housing and the govt buy you a decent car then you could live on 8$/hr. I think the more buisness depresses wages the more govt programs should be opened on BIG buisnesses dime. Make them pay either way. Heck let them pay 2$/hr, raise their taxes and start a govt car buying program for thoes making 2$/hr and expand sect 8 housing and food stamps so that they can buy soda and other things like that.

Big buisness does not get it. This is why people attack pipelines in other countries.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:56 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,214,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
IF you had food stamps, section 8 housing and the govt buy you a decent car then you could live on 8$/hr. I think the more buisness depresses wages the more govt programs should be opened on BIG buisnesses dime. Make them pay either way. Heck let them pay 2$/hr, raise their taxes and start a govt car buying program for thoes making 2$/hr and expand sect 8 housing and food stamps so that they can buy soda and other things like that.

Big buisness does not get it. This is why people attack pipelines in other countries.
Why would you own a car if you make $8/hr?

Old 12-14-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
To get to and from work, unless the comapny houses you or the sect 8 housing is on a GOOD bus route and the stops are heated/AC. We are in america why should people be living like they are in russia?

There are also many social reasons to have a car so if big buisness is artifically keeping wages down why should peoples social lives suffer when we are such a wealthy nation.

Last edited by highlife2; 12-14-2011 at 03:39 PM..

Old 12-14-2011, 03:43 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,494,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Because most of the country lacks reliable public transportation.. working 60+ hours a week on that wage doesn't leave you much time to wait for the bus if you need to be somewhere (except in a select few *expensive* cities.)

Then again, there are plenty of options for cheap, reliable, and fuel efficient cars for maybe $2000 or less if one absolutely needed one (mid 90's Civic?) Or just shell out $100 for a cheap bike!

Old 12-14-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Because most of the country lacks reliable public transportation.. working 60+ hours a week on that wage doesn't leave you much time to wait for the bus if you need to be somewhere (except in a select few *expensive* cities.)

Then again, there are plenty of options for cheap, reliable, and fuel efficient cars for maybe $2000 or less if one absolutely needed one (mid 90's Civic?) Or just shell out $100 for a cheap bike!
Riding a bike is usually dangerous with so much auto traffic in most places unless the area has a REALLY good trail system and the weather is temperate year round. Also there is still the social issues of not having a car, good luck getting a date without a car as a guy. If you buy a 2000$ car you better be a good mechanic with a pit or a lift becuase a car that cheap has a high likely hood that it will require alot of maintence. Which is ok if you have the garage, tools and a lift/nice pit to get under it and work on it.

I will say it again big companies that are keeping wages down need to eat the financial aspect of the social consequences for having hati wages for american workers. There is an expectation that americans should be living MUCH better than the rest of the world so if a company wants to pay a low wage then they need to make up that deficit in the form of social taxes.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:32 PM

29,839 posts, read 24,942,627 times
Quote:
Big buisness does not get it.
No, big business definitely gets it. They pay crap wages to their slave labor, and we the tax payers subsidize their living. Yes, we. Large corporations get corporate welfare, also on our dime. I'd say they completely get it. No wonder this country is broke.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:33 PM

219 posts, read 439,852 times
Quote:
Riding a bike is usually dangerous with so much auto traffic in most places unless the area has a REALLY good trail system and the weather is temperate year round.
I agree unless you live in an area with a full-sized shoulder or a bike lane it's not safe. I recently had to drop my car off 4 miles away for an inspection. I thought about riding my bike but there isn't a shoulder in town and I see how aggressive people drive. I haven't ridden a city bus in 15 years so I looked into the schedule online. I was surprised to find that the bus didn't run 24hrs.

Also if you ride the bus then you can only buy what you can carry home. I would find that pretty limiting even for just going to the grocery.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:38 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,167,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
No, big business definitely gets it. They pay crap wages to their slave labor, and we the tax payers subsidize their living. Yes, we. Large corporations get corporate welfare, also on our dime. I'd say they completely get it. No wonder this country is broke.
What do you classify as "corporate welfare"?

Old 12-17-2011, 01:22 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,277,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monica. View Post
after getting some experience in the current field, may be they increase your wages. so till that wait
Or maybe they don't while should people have to suffer since then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment