Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 06:58 AM

13,020 posts, read 19,073,870 times

Advertisements

If you are a god salesman you can do a lot better than $500 a week. Find a product or service that yields more than $25. Sure the commission percentage will be a lot lower and it will take longer to make a sale. But your rewards will be much greater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 07:57 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,448,472 times
Cool A matter of perspective I suppose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Just wondering. I guess you can make it in Fla on $8 an hour, but im seeing that in LA for non-retail jobs also. What do they expect? How do you create loyalty? Thats just above poverty level...
You know... a person is not required to work for minimum wage. It is totally a matter of choice. If a person doesn't feel they can show loyalty to an employer based on minimum wage then they need to keep looking. Markets bad so you take what you can get, I suppose, and be greatful you have a foot in the door.
Koale

Old 06-24-2011, 10:11 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,902,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwichester View Post
Federal minimum wage of $7.25 /40 hrs a week comes out to $1160 a month. Let's assume you work a little under 40 hrs a week and so your monthly total is $1000.
It comes out less than that. You have to add in taxes.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:24 PM

360 posts, read 1,023,855 times
Honestly, in some areas of the country, I really really wonder how people get by on minimum wage.

For example, I grew up in northeast PA - it's cheap to live there. When I was in college at one point I lived in a crappy studio that was $325 a month and included utilities. I made something around $9/hr working part-to-full time as a unit secretary/nurse aide. I was able to get by but there were a lot of times I was living off ramen.

I now live in New Jersey and I can't understand how ANYONE lives on minimum wage here. Apartments in decent areas start around $900 for a 1 bedroom and even with roommates that's tough, plus food, gas, everything else is so much higher here. I'm sure people do it - either with multiple roommates and/or living in some really high crime areas where the rent is much lower but that's an awfully depressing life, particularly if there's kids involved.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:17 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,258,321 times
Years ago I was told often that minimum wage jobs were not supposed to be held by people supporting families and trying to hold onto a home. Minimum wage jobs were for high school and college students, seasonal or temp workers, retired folks, etc. People who didn't have to rely only on minimum-wage income to actually live

Maybe things have changed now...or maybe people expect that it's practically a right to have cable TV, cell phones, cars, be able to eat fast food regularly, etc, despite making very little. Also I realise that people have been displaced from better-paying jobs and are tryimng to maintain a lifestyle on $8 or $9 an hour.

Bear in mind that many people making minimum wage are also eligible for assistance (Bridge card/food stamps, housing subsidies, low-cost or free health care, utilities and water help, etc.) So they are not truly relying only on the paycheck. I volunteer with a non-profit and most of the employees are not paid much, but do get assistance of some sort.

And they all have cell/smart-phone plans, TVs, cars, plenty of food, heat and air conditioning. I do live in a very low COL area, though. But still, it seems to me that while one is limited as far as disposable income goes, living poor in the US is still a pretty decent standard of living.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:20 PM
Status: "You have two ears and one mouth for a reason" (set 1 day ago)

30,338 posts, read 25,471,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
But still, it seems to me that while one is limited as far as disposable income goes, living poor in the US is still a pretty decent standard of living.
Tell that to the guy living on the street or the people living under bridges... Anyone ready to move up to an Obamaville?

Old 06-24-2011, 08:41 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,258,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Tell that to the guy living on the street or the people living under bridges... Anyone ready to move up to an Obamaville?
What's "Obamaville" mean? Or are you just jumping on every little chance to further a non-sequitor agenda?

Actually one of the biggest influxes of people pushed into true homelessness in the USA was during the Reagan administration. Go look it up.

Clearly I was not referring to homeless people - that's a whole different dynamic. The thread is about living on a minimum wage, so obviously I am talking about the working poor.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:04 PM

3,026 posts, read 2,303,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
You are not expected to "make it" on minimum wage. That is a TRAINING WAGE for new employees with ZERO WORK EXPERIENCE. If you are only getting minimum wage, then you need to rethink your marketable skills and education.
What do you base this on? Where does it say you are not supposed to make it on minimum wage? A job is a job no matter what it is and the purpose of a job is to be able to provide housing and food. Seems this is more your opinion then reality. Not everyone can get more skills or education. Wow some people are so ignorant.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:08 PM

3,026 posts, read 2,303,700 times
Quote:
Years ago I was told often that minimum wage jobs were not supposed to be held by people supporting families and trying to hold onto a home. Minimum wage jobs were for high school and college students, seasonal or temp workers, retired folks, etc. People who didn't have to rely only on minimum-wage income to actually live

Maybe things have changed now...or maybe people expect that it's practically a right to have cable TV, cell phones, cars, be able to eat fast food regularly, etc, despite making very little. Also I realise that people have been displaced from better-paying jobs and are tryimng to maintain a lifestyle on $8 or $9 an hour.

Bear in mind that many people making minimum wage are also eligible for assistance (Bridge card/food stamps, housing subsidies, low-cost or free health care, utilities and water help, etc.) So they are not truly relying only on the paycheck. I volunteer with a non-profit and most of the employees are not paid much, but do get assistance of some sort.

And they all have cell/smart-phone plans, TVs, cars, plenty of food, heat and air conditioning. I do live in a very low COL area, though. But still, it seems to me that while one is limited as far as disposable income goes, living poor in the US is still a pretty decent standard of living.
Many times though that assistance is only for a certain amount of time not forever. The living poor have a decent standard of living really? This just tells me you do not know anything about the poor in America. Not all poor have these things and some of these things cars, food, heat, are neccesary. Not knowing if you are gonna be able to eat everyday and living in run down areas is not good living. Maybe you need to walk in some one elses shoes before you make inaccurate statements about them.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Status: "You have two ears and one mouth for a reason" (set 1 day ago)

30,338 posts, read 25,471,584 times
Quote:
What's "Obamaville" mean? Or are you just jumping on every little chance to further a non-sequitor agenda?

Actually one of the biggest influxes of people pushed into true homelessness in the USA was during the Reagan administration. Go look it up.

Clearly I was not referring to homeless people - that's a whole different dynamic. The thread is about living on a minimum wage, so obviously I am talking about the working poor.
Google it, it's just a name. I am not a fan of Reagan, and I think he did more to erode the middle class than just about any president in the last 30 years. Having said that, neither Republican or Democratic presidents or politicians seem to have our best interests in mind. Obama is no better, and it was foolish of anyone to think he would have the answers to solve our problems. This was all we got from him...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment