Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:12 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Never thought I would see the day when I would say those words as a unemployed math/science certified teacher with experience but indeed that it what me any millions of other middle aged college graduates with work experience in other fields are saying and experiencing. Anybody like to share their Starbucks,Home Depot,McDonald stories with us in this age bracket. (40-50) Welcome to what I call the new economy...isn't outsourcing and everything else so grand.(Sarcasm)
It sounds like you have given up Texan2008. Maybe you need to think about a career change, or start your own business.

Where I live there is always ALWAYS ALWAYS a demand for math tutors. Granted, you aren't going to get rich, but it is a source of income. That, coupled with maybe a part time night/weekend job would certainly help and give you a sense that things are *not* hopeless.

You might also consider relocating. I know someone who just graduated from college last year and they are starting their first teaching job (math) and coaching this semester. He just went out and bought a new car yesterday (oh, it's a beauty too). So if you can't find a job THERE, maybe you need to consider elsewhere.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 08:06 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
That's it. There isn't a lack of jobs. There's an abundance of job seekers unwilling to satisfy the demand for jobs.
Bull crap. I am an elementary teacher who is also unemployed. I am willing to move. I have had interviews in Alaska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Arizona, Indiana, and Florida. I am tired of job searching and ready to just give up. There is no point anymore in looking for a job. I have accepted that I am just not good enough. No one wants me now I just wish someone would kill me already because being unemployed makes me feel like life isn't worth living.

I have even looked overseas. The only openings I can find are for a Christian school in Kabul, Afganistan. I have even tried to apply for a few jobs overseas. Apparently there is competition for elementary teachers overseas as well.

I would love to switch careers but to what? Nursing, radiation therapy, respiratory therapy, ultrasound, IT and many, many other fields are oversaturated. Who wants to go into more debt and still be jobless?

Old 06-16-2011, 08:52 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
sounds like me. I am unemployed 1 year and worked in the insurance industry. sent out 200 resumes, been on several interviews and I am told that I am either not experienced enough or I don't get a call back. Then I apply to lower end jobs like, CVS, Costco etc... and I am told I am over qualified. I just want to work and I am willing to do anything at this point. Costco called me and i have to call them back. I may have an interview plus I have a family member who works for them and may be able to pull some strings. he said it's a great co. to work for. Great benefits. I like being home at times but lately I am going stir crazy. I am only 40 and was with my last job 8 years.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:22 AM

1,081 posts, read 916,534 times
A college degree does not mean you'll instantly get a job for life. Too bad grads learn this the hard way.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:52 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Bull crap. I am an elementary teacher who is also unemployed. I am willing to move. I have had interviews in Alaska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Arizona, Indiana, and Florida. I am tired of job searching and ready to just give up. There is no point anymore in looking for a job. I have accepted that I am just not good enough. No one wants me now I just wish someone would kill me already because being unemployed makes me feel like life isn't worth living.

I have even looked overseas. The only openings I can find are for a Christian school in Kabul, Afganistan. I have even tried to apply for a few jobs overseas. Apparently there is competition for elementary teachers overseas as well.

I would love to switch careers but to what? Nursing, radiation therapy, respiratory therapy, ultrasound, IT and many, many other fields are oversaturated. Who wants to go into more debt and still be jobless?
It's not bullcrap actually. There's a gap between skills desired and skills acquired.

I suggest looking in Brazil and South Asia to teach children english. There's a huge demand there.

What happened with Kabul? Decided not to forgo an opportunity?

Old 06-17-2011, 02:53 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
sounds like me. I am unemployed 1 year and worked in the insurance industry. sent out 200 resumes, been on several interviews and I am told that I am either not experienced enough or I don't get a call back. Then I apply to lower end jobs like, CVS, Costco etc... and I am told I am over qualified. I just want to work and I am willing to do anything at this point. Costco called me and i have to call them back. I may have an interview plus I have a family member who works for them and may be able to pull some strings. he said it's a great co. to work for. Great benefits. I like being home at times but lately I am going stir crazy. I am only 40 and was with my last job 8 years.
In insurance, I think your best bet would be NYC area, and making yourself look like a recent grad to get an entry level job. Unfortunately, there's not much opportunity for experienced people in the insurance industry.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:28 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
My Mom has an MBA, is age 62, working as an usher for concerts. She developed software for computers to identify tax evasion, and to do payroll for businesses...and now...she makes $8.50 an hour.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:31 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
"Not wanting" isn't the same as "can't".

"Unable to sell their homes" isn't the same as "can't sell their homes" but it is almost the same as "Unwilling to sell their homes for a profit or no loss"

They can rent the home.

If they have a family, they can leave the spouse and kids at the home and rent a room where there are jobs and either make the move to the new job or continue to apply back home until something comes up.

Most but not all companies process nonlocal candidates that way.

I'm 99.9% sure if the original poster wanted a math teacher job in the US he could find one in the next month.
Yes rent the home and move to another state. Smart move.

And when the renters trash the house and take off(happens all the time) the owner is left with a mess.

Very, very risky to be a long distance landlord.

The only way to have rental properties is to be in close proximity to the renters.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:36 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My Mom has an MBA, is age 62, working as an usher for concerts. She developed software for computers to identify tax evasion, and to do payroll for businesses...and now...she makes $8.50 an hour.
For every 62 year old with an MBA and apparently serious software development skills making $8.50 an hour doing high school kid work, there are 69 62 year olds with those skills pulling in $80+K a year.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:39 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes rent the home and move to another state. Smart move.

And when the renters trash the house and take off(happens all the time) the owner is left with a mess.

Very, very risky to be a long distance landlord.

The only way to have rental properties is to be in close proximity to the renters.

There are property managers that can manage that property for you for a fee. Owning property remotely is very common. Of course there is some risk. But, what would you suggest to our original poster friend who had an opportunity out of town and owned a home and otherwise had no income? He has to do something and renting out his home to while securing employment elsewhere is an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment