Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 11:52 AM

70 posts, read 299,387 times

Advertisements

So I had a pretty intensive interview this week and in my follow up email to one of the interviewers I received back an email with the following quote -

"although I am not the final decision maker, I have no doubt that you will be hearing from XXX in the near future. Good luck and I look forward to seeing you again soon"

I feel like if they are not interested they usually don't respond to thank you emails...and to say this it seems like its pretty positive...

Obv I realize that until you receive an offer there is no definite...but is the above something commonly said?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 12:02 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,900,650 times
yes it is something that is commonly said. sorry.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:31 PM

70 posts, read 299,387 times
Really? In all my years interviewing I never got that.....but fair enough...good to know

Old 05-22-2011, 12:40 PM

27 posts, read 168,362 times
LOL....kodaka is soo negative....almost bitter

I disagree with kodaka - I don't think employers would even respond to an email much less suggest that you will get the job if you werent in serious consideration...there is just no reason for them to do it.....I think this is a really positive sign....good luck!!!

Old 05-22-2011, 01:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
As a hiring manager I never respond to thank you e-mails, nor do the people from HR, just for that reason, not getting hopes up. I hope you get it but
don't take too much from the response.

Much better to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:32 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
As a hiring manager I never respond to thank you e-mails, nor do the people from HR, just for that reason, not getting hopes up. I hope you get it but
don't take too much from the response.

Much better to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.
Even though you don't respond to them, has a thank you email made a difference in whether or not you approached a candidate for the next step?

Old 05-22-2011, 01:41 PM

386 posts, read 1,051,982 times
hard to say. I've gotten those emails and not gotten the job, I've gotten those emails and gotten the job. If you get the job...CONGRATS!

Old 05-22-2011, 03:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Even though you don't respond to them, has a thank you email made a difference in whether or not you approached a candidate for the next step?
No, but they are appreciated. As it happens, the last three that I have hired all sent thank-you emails after the interview but the decision was made before their emails. We try to keep it to 10 or less, and do them all in one day. When done, usually it's easy to get it down to the top 3 in a half-hour and decide within another 15 minutes. The only reason for taking 1-3 weeks to make an offer is reference checking and any background/credit checks.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:02 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,900,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettleblack View Post
LOL....kodaka is soo negative....almost bitter

I disagree with kodaka - I don't think employers would even respond to an email much less suggest that you will get the job if you werent in serious consideration...there is just no reason for them to do it.....I think this is a really positive sign....good luck!!!
Thing is though, being in serious consideration is not the same thing as getting the job. Say they've narrowed it down to three applicants. 2/3 of them will get that response and still not get the job.

Sorry it's not what you or OP wants to hear, but it's the truth.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:10 PM

27 posts, read 168,362 times
Kodaka..please...The person said there is no doubt that mascot will hear from them in the future....it just sounds very positive...and thats all op was asking.... and its not commonplace for an interviewee to receive that in a response... yeah op may just be a serious contender but thats still promising....kodaka - glass is half empty much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment