Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 03:22 PM

433 posts, read 1,376,739 times

Advertisements

I don't know what better words there are to describe what I'm trying to say, but for now I'm going to use "casual freelance work"? Don't alot of people do this? Finding work on the internet or posting ads in the newspaper/local bulletin boards describing what kind of work you're offering? I just completed a graphic design course and I would like to this for a little while while still living under my parents' roof. I'm planning to offer photo editing jobs and I e-mailed my past teacher what he thought about me doing this, and he went on about how freelancing is never a real option for someone with little or no experience, and how I need to work very hard to find connections and clients, and needing to know about commecial law, adminstration, etc.

I just want this small job where I can make at least $100 a week, or maybe a little more. Don't people already do this, like writing articles/blogs for the web? Isn't it kind of like signing up to be a tutor?

I'd also want to mention that I want to this because I want to change field and return to school in September. Graphic design field really isn't for me. I want to this while I'm in school and it will be easy since I can work whenever I want.

I'll be going to an agency next week to get more information on what I need, but for now I'd like to know what you guys think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 09:36 PM

21 posts, read 78,150 times
Hmmmmm.... I dunno. Sorry. Have you tried looking online?

Old 05-01-2011, 04:31 PM

460 posts, read 1,144,464 times
You could find work by posting on marketing, small business, etc. type forums where people are looking for logos, headers, ebook covers, etc. You never know unless you try.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:00 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,542,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
I don't know what better words there are to describe what I'm trying to say, but for now I'm going to use "casual freelance work"? Don't alot of people do this? Finding work on the internet or posting ads in the newspaper/local bulletin boards describing what kind of work you're offering? I just completed a graphic design course and I would like to this for a little while while still living under my parents' roof. I'm planning to offer photo editing jobs and I e-mailed my past teacher what he thought about me doing this, and he went on about how freelancing is never a real option for someone with little or no experience, and how I need to work very hard to find connections and clients, and needing to know about commecial law, adminstration, etc.

I just want this small job where I can make at least $100 a week, or maybe a little more. Don't people already do this, like writing articles/blogs for the web? Isn't it kind of like signing up to be a tutor?

I'd also want to mention that I want to this because I want to change field and return to school in September. Graphic design field really isn't for me. I want to this while I'm in school and it will be easy since I can work whenever I want.

I'll be going to an agency next week to get more information on what I need, but for now I'd like to know what you guys think.
Don't get me wrong not knocking you b/c everyone needs to start somewhere but you admitedly say you have no experience so why would I hire you to do graphic design or web design work for me?

Also, graphic designers are a dime a dozen. I do some self taught graphic and web design for my own projects but occasioanlly have posted ads on craigslist for design. Within 15 minutes I'll have over 15 emails everyone going lower than the next guy on price. The good thing for you is people are overwhelmed with responses its kinda luck and not skill that dictates who you pick for the job though you do look at sample work or a portfolio there's just too much to look throug with the volume of emails you get in response to these.

I think your teacher meant get a job working for someone else, you'll probably learn more skills, pick up a bit about marketing and advertising and have more to offer with some experience.

I run a few of my own websites and blogs. I get about 600 hits a day off one site. It's taken me about 6 months to buid the site and drive traffic. Next month I finally get paid by adsens and I get paid $140.55. Thats an option for you but dont expect traffic and money rolling in overnight.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:22 AM

15 posts, read 49,769 times
It's not easy to make money on websites. I have a website that yields about $80 a month and its a lot of work.
If you want to make money writing a good place to start is associated content. They pay $3-$7 per article and once you have some articles online to show what kind of a writer you are, you can land highter paying long term gig's writing for blogs or other freelance writing work

Old 06-04-2011, 11:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,760 times
Sounds like you need My Cheap Jobs - cheap jobs | hire someone | looking to hire | get hired online - My Cheap Jobs

You can post what you will do for free

Old 06-05-2011, 06:54 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,987,774 times
Quote:
Don't alot of people do this?
I wouldn't say a lot. Most people do not work in occupations that lend themselves to freelancing, casual or otherwise. Many people do freelance, but in actuality, most have spent years building a customer base. Those same customers come back to them repeatedly for odd jobs here and there, and may occasionally refer them to someone, thus expanding the freelancer's business base.

My employer, for example, has four freelancers on standby. We use them for certain jobs when work gets busy. Three of them worked for us full-time at one point, and left either to raise a family or because they relocated. So they know our work process and expectations. The fourth used to work full-time with someone else who now works for us. He does freelance for a handful of companies besides ours, all of whom he had connections with from past employment. I don't believe his freelance work is his primary source of income.

So in other words, expecting to get calls for random jobs just by posting a few ads here and there, when you have no prior professional experience....probably isn't going to happen. I mean, how exactly do you imagine a business is going to get your name? Are you going to go door-to-door telling them about your services? Do you personally know many business owners? Because business owners typically do not wade through the miles of craigslist ads, or even look in business journal advertisements, for professional services. Typically they go with someone they've worked with, or who used to work with someone they've worked with in the past and has gone out on their own, or whom another business owner has recommended. Other new business startups are a possibility--as a new business, they've probably never hired a graphic designer before. But you need to get to these people when they are in the planning stages of their business, not when they've just opened up. Such a business might be more inclined to barter services (i.e., free design work for five free meals at their new restaurant, or something like that.).

Old 03-18-2013, 07:21 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,610,841 times
Ssince you already have the skill for photo retouching, I don't think you'd have anything to lose by exploring this option. You may make a few connections in the process, or discover a new avenue for you to consider.

You will need to put together a electronic portfolio and post it somewhere -- your "before and after" retouching results. Then put this link in all of your emails/resumes. Craig's List posts freelancing jobs all the time, so it's a good place to start. Elance.com posts jobs for you to bid on, but you will be competing with people from all over the world!

Freelancer Magazine and Graphic Design Blender get into the whys and wherefores of freelancing, as well as the business end of things (paying quarterly taxes, invoicing clients, setting up your rates, etc.). All things to look into before going after your first assignment.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:48 PM

6,911 posts, read 22,655,924 times
I peddle my skills on Elance. It isn't easy but you never know what you might get into but be careful of the scam jobs. I won a job almost 3 years ago that I still work on. It isn't full-time but it's better than what I've found in my town and its steady work.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:36 PM

560 posts, read 1,554,063 times
[quote=myrc60;28727608]....I peddle my skills on Elance...[quote]

Oh wow, Elance is hard because it seems they give the jobs to the lowest bidder and these bidders are in places like India, Bangladesh, Phylippines and all over. They are willing to work for $2.00/hr!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment