Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 03:42 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times

Advertisements

Some of these assumptions may not be 100% accurate wb respect to my situation. But for the sake of giving advice, please assume they're 100% right:

- You're paid maybe only 1/3 to 1/2 the salary of what someone your level of education and experience is paid in the industry.

- You perform some very essential functions for the company and require a lot of trust. (This job involves handling LOTS of money)

- You're currently looking for a new job but still need this one just to pay the bills.

-You've been doing the work of 2 to 3 people and your boss expects more.

- Your most recent performance review was supposedly not very good despite your best efforts at the job.

- You're already beyond stressed out. It's difficult to do everything your employer expects u to do well.

- Your employer cannot easily fire you, at least not in the near future.

- Your boss doesn't pressure your coworkers the same way he pressures you even though they wwork less than u and have much less responsibilities.

What would you do?

Last edited by ragnarkar; 04-19-2011 at 03:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 03:46 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,972,857 times
OP- I understand what your predicament is, but I'm not exactly sure what you are asking? Do you want to know what we would do in a situation like this? Can you clarify for me and possibly others who don't understand?

Old 04-19-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
OP- I understand what your predicament is, but I'm not exactly sure what you are asking? Do you want to know what we would do in a situation like this? Can you clarify for me and possibly others who don't understand?
Yes, what would you do?

Old 04-19-2011, 04:03 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,972,857 times
Well, I kinda sorta think you answered your own question with this:

-You're currently looking for a new job but still need this one just to pay the bills.

I mean, if you're not happy with your job, then you should definitely look for something that you can at least do without being overly stressed and miserable. Just go into this realizing that it's a tight job market right now and you might not find a perfect job.

One thing I might add is that you could have a sit down with your boss. Now, I know from first hand experience that this can be extremely difficult to set up. But if your boss is willing to do it, then definitely go for it. Have facts to back up what you're claiming, at least in regards to salary and what your accomplishments are so far. www.Glassdoor.com and www.Salary.com are probably the best resources you can use for salary expectations.

I would go in hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. That way, if your boss tells you he can't do anything for you, your not completely deflated. And if he tells you that you deserve a 10% salary increase, then hip hip hooray! But keep in mind, will a salary increase make you less stressed?

Last edited by Z3N1TH 0N3; 04-19-2011 at 05:09 PM..

Old 04-19-2011, 04:21 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Sounds like you are doing what you CAN do. Look for another job.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:25 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Start a business on the side. Then leave when the profits start coming in.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:47 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Start looking for another job, see if you can do better at another company. While you probably deserve to be paid more and worked less, with this depressed economy, it may be your current job isn't all that bad at the moment.

And if you find another job and one that pays better, and for some reason would rather stay at your present company, at that point talk to your boss and see if he will give you a raise and less duties. But if you don't have another job lined up, your boss might decide to either do nothing about compensating you more, or he may decide to replace you.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:43 PM

Fyi, I've done maybe less than 1/2 of the work demanded of me (opting out of the less essential tasks) for many months.. even then:

1) I am still overwhelmed doing this amount of work.
2) I haven't been fired for not doing 100% or even 90% of what's asked of me.
3) My coworkers are under pressure everyday but never as much as me. I'm the last one to leave maybe 90% of the time.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:13 PM

225 posts, read 1,114,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Some of these assumptions may not be 100% accurate wb respect to my situation. But for the sake of giving advice, please assume they're 100% right:

- You're paid maybe only 1/3 to 1/2 the salary of what someone your level of education and experience is paid in the industry.

- You perform some very essential functions for the company and require a lot of trust. (This job involves handling LOTS of money)

- You're currently looking for a new job but still need this one just to pay the bills.

-You've been doing the work of 2 to 3 people and your boss expects more.

- Your most recent performance review was supposedly not very good despite your best efforts at the job.

- You're already beyond stressed out. It's difficult to do everything your employer expects u to do well.

- Your employer cannot easily fire you, at least not in the near future.

- Your boss doesn't pressure your coworkers the same way he pressures you even though they wwork less than u and have much less responsibilities.

What would you do?
I am going to assume you are salary since you handle "lots of money" and are probably management so my advice is based on that assumption.
First, NEVER assume they can't replace you. There is always some flunky or a greenhorn right out of college with a sheepskin that will come in and try. You may think they can't fire you, but they can.

I am in the same boat. They push you more than the others because you let them and perform when they do. They give you more work because you can and will do it. I get the same treatment. Here is what worked for me. I quit killing myself and work at a decent pace which is still faaster than any of the others. When I am given even more, I tell the boss I am overloaded so "which jobs are your priorities" or "what do you expect me to do" and put the ball in his/her court. If you get the answer I get "I need it all done" let them know it's impossible, so you need to tell me your priority.

Then, if salary, work eight hours a day and walk out at 5pm. If told you need to stay, advise you can't because you are stressed and your health is suffering due to overwork and you need to go home and lay down. If you are lucky enough to be hourly, ask "how much OT are you willing to pay?" and then work what you are comfortable with.

In the mean time...look for another job, because it only gets worse. The more they can push you and the more work you crank out, the more they expect.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:30 PM

Fyi, according to Salary.com, my salary is below the bottom 10% given my location, job title, level of experience, level of education (I have a Masters), and even recent poor reviews.

Although my job isn't "management", one of the tasks I've been assigned was to manage and supervise the temporary employees hired at my firm (without being paid an extra $0.01.) These temps are no longer with us presently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoatpa View Post
I am going to assume you are salary since you handle "lots of money" and are probably management so my advice is based on that assumption.
First, NEVER assume they can't replace you. There is always some flunky or a greenhorn right out of college with a sheepskin that will come in and try. You may think they can't fire you, but they can.

I am in the same boat. They push you more than the others because you let them and perform when they do. They give you more work because you can and will do it. I get the same treatment. Here is what worked for me. I quit killing myself and work at a decent pace which is still faaster than any of the others. When I am given even more, I tell the boss I am overloaded so "which jobs are your priorities" or "what do you expect me to do" and put the ball in his/her court. If you get the answer I get "I need it all done" let them know it's impossible, so you need to tell me your priority.

Then, if salary, work eight hours a day and walk out at 5pm. If told you need to stay, advise you can't because you are stressed and your health is suffering due to overwork and you need to go home and lay down. If you are lucky enough to be hourly, ask "how much OT are you willing to pay?" and then work what you are comfortable with.

In the mean time...look for another job, because it only gets worse. The more they can push you and the more work you crank out, the more they expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment