Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 10:13 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,275 times

Advertisements

So my boss hired a new co -worker about a month back as an entry level tech.
Me and the new guy do the same exact job..and he makes 2$ an hour more then I do.

The shop foreman was the one who told me about the new guys hourly rate.
He told me that my service manager low balled me and it will take a year to get a raise.

Its funny because this guy completely sucks...he already failed to install a battery properly, forget to torque wheels, and he left the oil cap off a car already and hes been working on cars for 25 years and I make way more money for the shop then he does..period.

No I know I have to leave this job..the only problem is that I have been there for only 3 months and I quit 2 jobs before that already....

I'm also planning on relocating to houston texas because here in CT is way too expensive...

I'm stuck in this dilemma..and I have no idea how to get out of this job and be paid the proper amount I should be getting paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 11:35 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,393,736 times
Honestly, low balled or not, you took the job at the wage you are making. They offered it and you accepted it. Either deal with that, or find something else. Honestly, employees in the same position make different wages all the time. Experience, the economy, the needs of the employer, and past pay all factor in to what someone is paid. There is no law requiring all employees be paid the same, nor is there a law other than minimum wage that governs how much a person should be paid.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:49 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,334 times
The difference between $16 and $14 (just as an example) is much less than the difference between $14 and $0.

Leaving yet ANOTHER job and getting painted as a job hopper would do more damage than missing out on the extra $16/day your coworker takes home compared to you.

Learn from it, kick a@@ at the job, and end with some great references (in a year or so when you do move).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 06-18-2012, 12:36 AM

593 posts, read 1,411,586 times
You just said the guy has 25 years experience. That's why he gets paid more. It happens all over the place, you should stick it out and don't use this as an excuse to bail. You never know, maybe they will start to see how beneficial you are and give you a raise or bonus, but you will never know that if you keep quitting jobs left and right. Been there done that, don't sabotage yourself. At the very least, stay 6 months then decide what you want to do.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:07 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,441 times
This happens all the time. A co-worker of mine was fresh out of college, and worked at the company 3 years, he was making 5K more ( I know this because we had a health benefit meeting and they passed around sheets) with our benefit information and on the left side was our yearly pay.

This is why it is noy wise to stay at one job...stay there a few years and move on.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:17 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
...No I know I have to leave this job..the only problem is that I have been there for only 3 months and I quit 2 jobs before that already.....
Bad move to quit. Your record is already dodgy, it'll look really bad if you leave another job. Stick it out.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:18 AM

29,818 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Didn't you just start this job? It would be very unwise to leave so soon. Yes, job hoppers are not looked upon highly these days. If the guy has been doing this job for 25 years, and he's only making $2/hr more than you, I would say HE probably feels he's underpaid. Now, if he's making all these mistakes, it's possible he either sucks at his job, doesn't have 25 years experience, or has been away from the work for an extended period of time... At any rate, how would you feel if in 25 years, you were only making a couple bucks more than the young squirt just getting his start?

Old 06-18-2012, 05:21 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
So my boss hired a new co -worker about a month back as an entry level tech.
Me and the new guy do the same exact job..and he makes 2$ an hour more then I do.
The shop foreman was the one who told me about the new guys hourly rate.
He told me that my service manager low balled me and it will take a year to get a raise.
Its funny because this guy completely sucks...he already failed to install a battery properly, forget to torque wheels, and he left the oil cap off a car already and hes been working on cars for 25 years and I make way more money for the shop then he does..period.
No I know I have to leave this job..the only problem is that I have been there for only 3 months and I quit 2 jobs before that already....
I'm also planning on relocating to houston texas because here in CT is way too expensive...
I'm stuck in this dilemma..and I have no idea how to get out of this job and be paid the proper amount I should be getting paid.
Your shop Foreman should not have told you the differences in pay rates nor should he have told you that your Service Manager low balled you. He has put you in the position now where you feel you should perhaps talk to the Service Manager and has also created tension between you and the new guy for no apparent reason other than to force one of you to leave perhaps? If it were me in this situation, I would tell your Service Manager that you feel you need to talk to him about a few things. Explain to him how difficult it is to live here in CT with the rents being so high and other things as well costing so much and is there any way you can get an increase sooner than normal. Its a shame that the Foreman has put you in this position and I can't figure out his motive for doing so.
I wouldn't keep quitting jobs with only a few months under your belt. It surely doesn't look good on your resume especially with the job situation being what it is out there now it might be a good idea for you to try to hang in a little bit longer then look for a better job.
Houston?? Why is Houston so much cheaper than anywhere here in CT? I find that kinda hard to believe. Check out the cost of living there again and be sure that this is the move you want to make. It sounds to me like you are having issues getting settled.
Remember one thing..everyone has to start somewhere with a salary and if you are not happy with what you were told then it is the Service Manager you need to speak to. It is not the new guy's fault he makes more than you; his background just might be a tad different than yours or there could be other reasons. Good luck!!

Old 06-18-2012, 07:04 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
My guess is that they are paying him more because of his 25 years of experience. It's up to the boss to figure out if that was a mistake or not.

They could also be paying you less because they are not sure that you are going to stick around.

The foreman never should have told you what this guy (or anybody else) gets paid.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:19 AM

380 posts, read 1,155,962 times
Since you will be moving to Texas you should stick it out and stay there. The other guy has 20 years experience and was probably being paid a similar wage at his old job. I know it doesn't feel good to know you are being paid less than people who are not as good at the job as you are. But, that happens everywhere. Quitting won't solve the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment