Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 07:49 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Why would someone work when there is no financial need to ? Many have no real job before they graduate college or in their senior year.

Let me take a WILD guess here, you go through employees like there is no tomorrow ...
Our average employee has over seven years with us.

As to why someone would work or volunteer, uh, let's see, to get experience, to make a difference, to get references... Like I said, anyone who applies to me at the age of 22 who has no references from a previous employer or formal volunteer coordinator is not someone I'm going to hire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 10:23 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,181 times
I didn't have any job experience when I got out of college. Most people only work if they have to. I didn't need the money as I had a full scholarship, so I never worked. I invented experience to get my first job out of college. That's right, I lied. My employer never found out and I don't feel guilty as I make a comfortable living.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:43 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,187 times
I didn't have a whole lot of work experience either, and this was nearly 20 years ago. Worked sporadically here and there, but lived in a small town and there just weren't a lot of jobs, and you had a lot of middle-aged people working a lot of the low wage service industry type jobs that young people often get. There were other towns in the area, but they were quite a ways off and employers there usually preferred to hire employees who lived there.

Not everyone's situation is the same.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:46 PM

Which is why I've also mentioned volunteer work. There are always volunteer opportunities for college students.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:31 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,588 times
You wouldn't? Even if they had a disability? That's against the law. I should find out what company you work for.

By law if a person with a mental disability is able-bodied and perfectly capable of working the job you are (sometimes) required to hire them, or give them the same chance you would any normal person. But there are stumps out there who try to get around this and do. I have no doubt in my mind that some of the employers who post on this forum do this very same thing, and brag and laugh about it. It is the same thing with hiring illegals. Employers (especially now) are on a huge power trip. They are getting away with disability discrimination, hiring illegals, not following common courtesy, and have become corrupted by power. Power corrupts the human mind. They are so drunk on this power that they are bragging about breaking the law on forums!

As for disability, Aspergers IS high functioning, in case you weren't aware.

I have aspergers and my last job was RETAIL, and I had no problems interacting with customers, I dealt with up to 5 people at once, so you are generalizing.

They have 100 people lined up for that 15 hours a week $8.00/hr mcdonalds job. Probably why they won't call me.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
You wouldn't? Even if they had a disability? That's against the law. I should find out what company you work for.
No, it's not against the law to not hire anyone without experience. If I said I'd hire people without disabilities without experience but people with disabilities had to have experience, it would be illegal. But I'm applying the same standard for everyone, so it's not illegal.

Quote:
By law if a person with a mental disability is able-bodied and perfectly capable of working the job you are (sometimes) required to hire them, or give them the same chance you would any normal person.
Which I do. If they have the same qualifications, including work experience. (Or if I can make reasonable accommodations for them, but having zero work experience isn't a reasonable accommodation.) All you have to do is offer a level playing field, but you don't have to give preference simply because someone is disabled.

Quote:
But there are stumps out there who try to get around this and do. I have no doubt in my mind that some of the employers who post on this forum do this very same thing, and brag and laugh about it. It is the same thing with hiring illegals. Employers (especially now) are on a huge power trip. They are getting away with disability discrimination, hiring illegals, not following common courtesy, and have become corrupted by power. Power corrupts the human mind.
I don't hire illegals and have two people with disabilities working for me. One on the spectrum and another 20% disabled by the armed forces. The one with Aspergers needs no accommodation. The one with the physical limitations needs a small accommodation which we provide. In the past we've also employed someone with bi-polar disorder and someone with a hearing impairment.

Quote:
Aspergers IS high functioning, in case you weren't aware.
Did I say it wasn't?

Quote:
I have aspergers and my last job was RETAIL, and I had no problems interacting with customers, so you are generalizing.

They have 100 people lined up for that 15 hours a week $8.00/hr mcdonalds job. Probably why they won't call me.
Or maybe because others have better availability, more experience, or they just fell into the right place in the pile of applications.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:11 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,343 times
i'm 24, i've only had 2 short-term jobs in the past 4 and a half years, so i'm close to your situation when it comes to lacking job experience, but be glad you have a degree of some sort, these days minimum-wage paying jobs or lower have high standards

Old 03-31-2012, 08:58 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,680 times
Annerk, have you considered possibly taking a break from posting on CD?

You're now coming across as feisty and unpleasant wheen you reply to topics, which dosen't reflect well on you (especially in a forum where people in your profession are baselessly labeled as unpleasant and feisty).

I used to enjoy your posts at first, but they've definitely lost the luster they had before.

Don't take the wrong way BTW.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Annerk, have you considered possibly taking a break from posting on CD?

You're now coming across as feisty and unpleasant wheen you reply to topics, which dosen't reflect well on you (especially in a forum where people in your profession are baselessly labeled as unpleasant and feisty).

I used to enjoy your posts at first, but they've definitely lost the luster they had before.

Don't take the wrong way BTW.
Just what do you think my profession is?

I'm only unpleasant when people wrongly accuse me of breaking the law or some other such slanderous BS.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:41 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,614 times
22 and no work experience? jesus....im 22, hold three jobs, have my own place, and go to school. i'm actually supporting my mother right now. how do you get to that age and not eventually need money/have to work for something?

try a temp agency or start doing odd-jobs through craigslist. everyone has to start somewhere. my first job was at 14 cashiering at a clothing store. i've done everything from cashiering, bussing tables, to warehouse labor, and now im in entry level office work. i suppose you could use the economic downturn as an excuse. if it wasn't for the recession, i wouldn't still be stuck in supermarket food service and i'd probably have a decent job by now(and health insurance)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment