Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 03:45 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Try eliminating the "duh" when responding. According to you you've only had two very short term jobs in several years and went through four years of college without getting a degree so you're hardly likely to have references of any great merit or plausibility. I'm actually surprised to read that you even have any volunteer work to reference as I seem to recall from previous posts that you pooh-poohed the whole idea of volunteer work as being a waste of time.
why should I eliminate the duh? i was pissed off about volunteering, i did it because i had to, not because i wanted to, 4 years without a college degree, so what? why the **** should that matter to minimum-wage, entry-level jobs, places like McDonald's, Burger King, Movie Theaters, Grocery Baggers, etc.? thats stupid in my opinion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 10:41 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,476 times
I don't believe in people blaming everything on themselves. I'm sorry, but I just don't agree with beating yourself up for something that could be out of your control. Blaming and beating yourself up is societal programming. You aren't supposed to question your government, other people or the economy, everything that's wrong is because of you you you.

That doesn't change anything, just makes you feel hopeless.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:45 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
I don't believe in people blaming everything on themselves. I'm sorry, but I just don't agree with beating yourself up for something that could be out of your control. Blaming and beating yourself up is societal programming. You aren't supposed to question your government, other people or the economy, everything that's wrong is because of you you you.

That doesn't change anything, just makes you feel hopeless.
really? i feel like our society encourages everyone that they're soooo smart and they can do anything they put their mind to. if something goes wrong its probably your parents fault, your school's fault, the government's fault, your employers fault...the list goes on.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:58 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
i was pissed off about volunteering, i did it because i had to, not because i wanted to ..
And you don't appreciate the total irony in that statement?

Old 04-03-2012, 04:52 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,002 times
Quote:
And you don't appreciate the total irony in that statement?
i don't care, i just do it because it is attractive, appealing to hiring-managers, employers

Old 04-03-2012, 06:00 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,134,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by criminaljusticegrad View Post
Okay, this advice isn't going to be helpful or even advice, but I just had to comment. Never having had a job by 22 is dangerous. Whatever the class, I think parents should force you to get "that first summer job". if nothing else, having income of your own in those young teens years makes you feel like a boss. If I ever have kids, when they get around to "that age", I'm going to lecture them emphasizing how they'll feel like a boss having their own money.
My brother, 16, started working his first job at McDonald's in December 2011. He feels like a "little man" right now, along with his new license.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
What's "expected" is that you have something to show. By your own admission you spent four years in college and failed to get a degree and you've held two entry level jobs which lasted no more than a month in the last couple of years. You haven't volunteered for anything, live off your parents and basically do much of nothing. Yes, you are expected to be a contributing member of society by a certain age and you reached that age a while ago.
I won't rag on him for not finishing college in four years. I won't be finished until approx. five years of college.

But yeah, only working a total of two months in 22 years doesn't look good to employers.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
You wouldn't? Even if they had a disability? That's against the law. I should find out what company you work for.

By law if a person with a mental disability is able-bodied and perfectly capable of working the job you are (sometimes) required to hire them, or give them the same chance you would any normal person. But there are stumps out there who try to get around this and do. I have no doubt in my mind that some of the employers who post on this forum do this very same thing, and brag and laugh about it. It is the same thing with hiring illegals. Employers (especially now) are on a huge power trip. They are getting away with disability discrimination, hiring illegals, not following common courtesy, and have become corrupted by power. Power corrupts the human mind. They are so drunk on this power that they are bragging about breaking the law on forums!

As for disability, Aspergers IS high functioning, in case you weren't aware.

I have aspergers and my last job was RETAIL, and I had no problems interacting with customers, I dealt with up to 5 people at once, so you are generalizing.

They have 100 people lined up for that 15 hours a week $8.00/hr mcdonalds job. Probably why they won't call me.
I have annerk on ignore...is she insulting people with Aspergers?

My brother has Asperger's, and he is VERY high functioning, moreso than most people. He routinely scores in the top 1% of his class, has a social life (even though he may be awkward at times). He is very young (14), but I know he will accomplish many great things in his life. People with Asperger's tend to be more focused and usually have that one or two great gifts about them that help them succeed in life.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:45 AM

640 posts, read 1,214,476 times
It's easy to call someone a loser or a failure at life when you got everything you wanted in yours, while you sit behind a computer screen.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:29 AM

29 posts, read 31,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by criminaljusticegrad View Post
Okay, this advice isn't going to be helpful or even advice, but I just had to comment. Never having had a job by 22 is dangerous. Whatever the class, I think parents should force you to get "that first summer job". if nothing else, having income of your own in those young teens years makes you feel like a boss. If I ever have kids, when they get around to "that age", I'm going to lecture them emphasizing how they'll feel like a boss having their own money.
Exactly! This is what my parents did for me. Financially, I didn't need to work. But at about 15 or 16 I was expected to have a part time job. Just my experience...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment