Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 04:15 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,086,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
By doing that, you are contributing to youth unemployment. You are also contributing to the classic catch 22. But will you tell a young person to get off their butt to get a job but if they have no experience you won't hire them to get experience in the first place?

I sure hope you don't complain, because wether you realize it or not, you are contributing to the problem.
Six years ago we had very low unemployment in this country. There's absolutely ZERO reason that a 22 year old shouldn't have had some sort of job, internship, or volunteer work at this point in their life. I'd hire a 16 year old for their first job before I'd hire someone who is 22 and has never worked or performed volunteer work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 04:29 PM

640 posts, read 1,215,280 times
I believe everybody deserves a chance. Not everybody has it easy as you might have had. Some people find themselves in circumstances outside their control. Most people here have an idea of my situation, it's pretty complex, but I've had so far 3 jobs, all of them were short, and months apart. It is tough to find even a job at mcdonalds and grocery stores where I am, because of competition (50/50), having to know someone, very few private businesses, and I think the employers are pricks, and may have the same sort of attitude you have.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I believe everybody deserves a chance. Not everybody has it easy as you might have had. Some people find themselves in circumstances outside their control. Most people here have an idea of my situation, it's pretty complex, but I've had so far 3 jobs, all of them were short, and months apart. It is tough to find even a job at mcdonalds and grocery stores where I am, because of competition (50/50), having to know someone, very few private businesses, and I think the employers are pricks, and may have the same sort of attitude you have.
And now the truth comes out.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:53 PM

It's true, and I know many would agree with me on that.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:22 PM

So start your own business and then you won't need to work for any of those "pricks."

Old 03-28-2012, 06:55 PM

I feel better letting people be aware of how they are treated and exploited.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I feel better letting people be aware of how they are treated and exploited.
For someone who has spent less than a year of their life working, you sure seem to think you have all the answers about running a business. Like I said, start your own business. Come back in a couple of years and let us know how it's worked out for you.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:31 PM

Perhaps the EEOC should be aware of your hiring practices. If you treat people like you claim, who knows how you treat people with invisible disabilities such as aspergers, bi-polar and AVPD. You're "not hiring" now, but 5 minutes later you will hire your neighbors attractive friend.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Perhaps the EEOC should be aware of your hiring practices. If you treat people like you claim, who knows how you treat people with invisible disabilities such as aspergers, bi-polar and AVPD. You're "not hiring" now, but 5 minutes later you will hire your neighbors attractive friend.
Uh, for the record, one of our employees has a condition similar to Aspergers. High functioning but on the spectrum. I still wouldn't hire someone who was 22 and had never worked or done formal volunteer work, whether they were disabled or a buff athlete with a 4.0 GPA.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:30 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,078,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Six years ago we had very low unemployment in this country. There's absolutely ZERO reason that a 22 year old shouldn't have had some sort of job, internship, or volunteer work at this point in their life. I'd hire a 16 year old for their first job before I'd hire someone who is 22 and has never worked or performed volunteer work.
Why would someone work when there is no financial need to ? Many have no real job before they graduate college or in their senior year.

Let me take a WILD guess here, you go through employees like there is no tomorrow ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment