Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:25 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,853,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinamen View Post
It is dehumanizing. I don't think any race would like that comment about that they all look the same. What if someone said that about your race?
Ironically enough this week's Family Guy episode had a comment that went the opposite way. Peter went to a Chinese dry cleaners and when the owner kicked him out the Chinese man said to Peter "I don't like all of you Americans and all of you American look alike." It didn't bother me one bit. I don't think those comments are racist. Ignorant? Maybe. But not always racist.

I am not offended that someone can't tell that I have British ancestors and my husband has Scottish ancestors. Guess what. We do look alike on a basic level. We both have brown hair and hazel eyes. We have pale skin and the same shaped eyes too. If someone told me we look alike, I would not be offended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 10:23 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,335,915 times
LOL saying "I'm a white person and I've never been offended by racism" is ridiculous. Of course you're not offended by racism. It hasn't been used to hold down you, your family or any other white people you know. It's the historical implications that make racism so hurtful, not the specific statement being made at the time. It's wrong because it's painful because it brings up and brings back hundreds of years of oppression into the mind of the person that's being talked about.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:53 AM

21,868 posts, read 25,181,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
LOL saying "I'm a white person and I've never been offended by racism" is ridiculous. Of course you're not offended by racism. It hasn't been used to hold down you, your family or any other white people you know. It's the historical implications that make racism so hurtful, not the specific statement being made at the time. It's wrong because it's painful because it brings up and brings back hundreds of years of oppression into the mind of the person that's being talked about.
Product of the American education system or a product of race blinders?

Old 04-16-2011, 05:57 AM

88,627 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Ironically enough this week's Family Guy episode had a comment that went the opposite way. Peter went to a Chinese dry cleaners and when the owner kicked him out the Chinese man said to Peter "I don't like all of you Americans and all of you American look alike." It didn't bother me one bit. I don't think those comments are racist. Ignorant? Maybe. But not always racist.

I am not offended that someone can't tell that I have British ancestors and my husband has Scottish ancestors. Guess what. We do look alike on a basic level. We both have brown hair and hazel eyes. We have pale skin and the same shaped eyes too. If someone told me we look alike, I would not be offended.
"You (or They) all look alike" has become nothing more than a cliche.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:58 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,853,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Ugh. I am so tired of hearing this. Has that person been opressed for hundreds of years? I seriously doubt it. If that is true, we have a news story on our hands. It was their ancestors. Not that person. My ancestors were probably opressed due to religion or their ranking in society. Does that give me (a completely different person living in different times) the right to complain about something that didn't even happen to me?

My entire point is that people need to stopo looking for rasist remarks where there are none. That is what I mean about getting thicker skin. If people would just take the remarks at face value instead of looking for some deeper meaning that doesn't even exist, they wouldn't be offended by silly remarks that mean nothing.

I am officially done with this thread.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:24 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,181,646 times
Race blinders.

On my mother's side I'm puritan (oppressed), Irish (oppressed), Jewish (oppressed) among others. On my father's side English and we think German/Portuguese (oppressed). My great grandmother of my father's side was a Southern belle who married an abusive alcoholic and was ostracized after the marriage was annulled (which should give you some idea of how abusive her first husband was). She then married my grandfather who was an orphan and some mix of German/Portuguese. Going forward, I have a cousin who is half Iranian and a brother-in-law who is Mexican-American. Another cousin is engaged to an Italian of Roma descent (if you want to see some ugly ****, look at how they are treated).

But, you know, white people have never been oppressed and don't even know what the term means.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:27 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,839,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
"You (or They) all look alike" has become nothing more than a cliche.

YouTube - Family Guy - Braille

Maybe women should be offended.

BTW I am a woman and I guess I should feel like an awful person for not voting. Not because it's my duty as a citizen to vote and I really can't complain about the government if I don't but because the suffragettes worked so hard.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:35 PM

88,627 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Race blinders.

On my mother's side I'm puritan (oppressed), Irish (oppressed), Jewish (oppressed) among others. On my father's side English and we think German/Portuguese (oppressed). My great grandmother of my father's side was a Southern belle who married an abusive alcoholic and was ostracized after the marriage was annulled (which should give you some idea of how abusive her first husband was). She then married my grandfather who was an orphan and some mix of German/Portuguese. Going forward, I have a cousin who is half Iranian and a brother-in-law who is Mexican-American. Another cousin is engaged to an Italian of Roma descent (if you want to see some ugly ****, look at how they are treated).

But, you know, white people have never been oppressed and don't even know what the term means.
Plus, if your ancestors were either Catholic or Protestant at some point one was chopping off the heads of the other or burning them at the stake.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
In the past 200 years, whites have not held each other back in the same systemic matter that they've held back people of color.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Product of the American education system or a product of race blinders?
Neither.

I don't know what to think when people basically say, "Hey formerly oppressed person of color: We're going to continue to stereotype you and make fun of your race and culture because it entertains us. And if you don't like it, you're just being too sensitive. Since you're being too sensitive, it's YOUR fault and you have no right to complain when we make fun of YOUR ENTIRE RACE OR CULTURE."

That sentiment ^ is just ridiculous, mean and bullying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment