Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:53 PM

31 posts, read 62,623 times

Advertisements

ok i started a new job and they have this orientation video. basically it is based on asian theme with samuri and it talking how to be a sales masters (samuri master/sales masters) it is basically like those old karate videos with a spin on being a sales masters. with some guy dressed in a samuri outfit . the setting is like some asian garden setting.

i know you cant really tell by my description but you would have to see it to believe how offensive it is to asian people. I am not asian, but if i was i would definetly have a case for discrimination. Everyone i talked to thought the video was offensive. The only reason they have gotten away with it this long is because the company is not that diverse and probably dont even have any asian employees.

at the least the video is in bad taste, and the EEOC will see that. But i think there is a case there and i want to know what is the most i expect from the company if the EEOC determines I have case. I want make sure I am not trying to make something out of nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 10:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
It sounds offensive and should be reported but I'd suggest doing it anonymously. It's not likely that you, especially being non-Asian would win any kind of financial settlement, but one way or another could easily hurt your career there. Where I work we have diversity training and have to watch a video that basically demonstrates that your company's video is
offensive.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:15 PM

31 posts, read 62,623 times
thanks . i kinda already knew there wouldnt be any kind of financial settlement. i wish there was. i wont lie.
i am just in amazment any legal team would let a company put out something so offensive. I mean why should i have to wait for someone asian to see this video and get a huge settlement. i know how that sounds, but i just keep thinking about it.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:40 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch070 View Post
I mean why should i have to wait for someone asian to see this video and get a huge settlement.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Basically the perosn has to be a class. Your not and then he must prove some harm. Just being offended is not enough.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:25 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
From what little you have told us, pursuing this issue any futher would probably just be a waste of time and most likely label you as a trouble maker. From there it will go downhill.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:12 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch070 View Post
thanks . i kinda already knew there wouldnt be any kind of financial settlement. i wish there was. i wont lie.
And why do you feel you deserve any type of financial compensation for a video that you find very offensive towards another race?

Old 02-20-2011, 05:05 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,487,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
And why do you feel you deserve any type of financial compensation for a video that you find very offensive towards another race?
Why should anyone get a financial settlement out of any orientation video? Did this video cause you to lose money? No. Did this video cause you physical pain? No. Honestly you need to grow a pair a get an effing life!

Old 02-20-2011, 06:55 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,167 times
No

Old 02-20-2011, 09:11 AM

935 posts, read 2,410,831 times
Well, I'm glad to hear your honesty, but I doubt you could get any money from it unless it harms you in some fashion. Now, if you were an Asian American and you believe that movie was one of a few signs that your company purposely thinks Asian Americans are lower lifeforms that do not deserve promotions then I would consider filing with the EEOC. If you really feel strongly about it you could ask your co-workers to write anonymous letters to HR about the videos and how it degrades the company, but it's a potential risk to your job and the jobs of others if HR believes you are overreacting.

I'm willing to bet whoever chose that video thought it was just a funny and entertaining way to engage the employees. That doesn't mean it's not offensive, it probably was offensive, but I know some companies will do things b/c they think it's a fun way to engage the listener. If you look up Abercrombie & Fitch's Asian American t-shirts and the trouble they got into with those shirts then it might give you a better idea about why people do those types of videos. It doesn't make it right, but it's just one way to look at why HR probably did not see the offensiveness of the video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment