Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 11:28 PM

871 posts, read 3,021,202 times

Advertisements

Family and I are moving soon, and I (Dad) am looking for a change.

Some McDonald's locations are offering intensive 4-part management training opportunities, lasting from 8-12 months. Salary is in the mid-30's.

If you have legitimate knowledge (not gossip or hearsay) about any pros and cons I would be grateful to hear your opinions. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 10:19 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,530,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
Family and I are moving soon, and I (Dad) am looking for a change.

Some McDonald's locations are offering intensive 4-part management training opportunities, lasting from 8-12 months. Salary is in the mid-30's.

If you have legitimate knowledge (not gossip or hearsay) about any pros and cons I would be grateful to hear your opinions. Thank you!
Fast food doesn't get much respect but I have a buddy who manages a fast food restaurant, not mcdonalds a smaller midwest chain but with overtime is probably making in the 60's as a GM. His circumstance is kind of unique but there's good money in managing fast food.

I think when people hear that's what he does its kind of like oh you work fast food but the truth is he probably makes double what most of my friends out of college with business/office jobs are starting out at.

There's other chains besides mcdonalds you may want to look into. Many mcdonalds have gone 24 hours and being the low guy on the totem pole you may wind up being a night shift manager.

I worked for Steak N Shake through college and they pay pretty well and have a good management training program, that one again though is 24 hours at most locations.

Not sure where your located but if in the midwest I may try to get in with a chick filet or up and comming fast food place. Btw, they ahve sundays off.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:57 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,690,028 times
The vast majority of McDonald's restaurants are franchises operated by local business people....so I imagine it all depends on the individual franchisee whether they'd be good to work for. Definitely a YMMV situation...

I have a fishin' buddy that owns nine MickeyD's...he's a great guy, but I sure wouldn't want to work for him! LOL

Old 04-09-2012, 12:40 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,919,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I have a fishin' buddy that owns nine MickeyD's...he's a great guy, but I sure wouldn't want to work for him! LOL
Then he doesn't sound like a great guy after all, does he lol

OP....the last FcDonalds manager I worked for was a true (insert C word here). If you aim to be a better and fair person you can't go wrong with your employees. Always apply the rules evenly and you won't be hated like my boss Lauria was/is.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:04 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,793,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
The vast majority of McDonald's restaurants are franchises operated by local business people....so I imagine it all depends on the individual franchisee whether they'd be good to work for.
Very true, and thus they can be very different from one another. Although there are rigidly set rules for how everything is to be produced, the whole "tone" of the operation depends very much on the owner and how he or she relates to the staff. The daughter of a friend of mine started working at one of the two McDonalds here several months ago. She looked at it as an interim job until she could find something "better" but apparently has discovered that, much to her amazement, she really enjoys working there and is actually thinking she made a very good decision. She's learning a lot and is looking into the opportunities for advancement.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:42 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,161,433 times
Default No, But did food service.

For a year at a supermarket deli as a young man. It was in my old, quaint neighborhood and some of the customers were crazier then a s**t-house rat. McDonald's gets many more people so one can expect all types.

Never forget a guy who, Even though he got the first cuts of ham from a new package decided it was not fresh and threw the ham slices at us. Though i was only 19 and had fun with the guys on the job and lived down the street from work. But some of those customers-wow. And we practiced top-notch customer service and never argued with the patrons. I think this planted a seed for me to eventually work in the hotel business as I went to retail from there and then into hotels.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:49 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,919,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
For a year at a supermarket deli as a young man. It was in my old, quaint neighborhood and some of the customers were crazier then a s**t-house rat. McDonald's gets many more people so one can expect all types.

Never forget a guy who, Even though he got the first cuts of ham from a new package decided it was not fresh and threw the ham slices at us. Though i was only 19 and had fun with the guys on the job and lived down the street from work. But some of those customers-wow. And we practiced top-notch customer service and never argued with the patrons. I think this planted a seed for me to eventually work in the hotel business as I went to retail from there and then into hotels.

I always had one rule for THAT...anything thrown at me you'd better be prepared to have thrown back you YOU. TWICE as hard.

There's only so much I'll put up with at the minimum wage. I stop at verbal abuse and physical assault. Luckily I've never had anything thrown at me. Frankly I would have called the police.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:54 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,161,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I always had one rule for THAT...anything thrown at me you'd better be prepared to have thrown back you YOU. TWICE as hard.

There's only so much I'll put up with at the minimum wage. I stop at verbal abuse and physical assault. Luckily I've never had anything thrown at me. Frankly I would have called the police.
I found the situation a bit comical honestly. Those were my salad days, And I was already on my own and needed the job so I let it go.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:58 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,414,870 times
As a "manager" you don't get OT, and often have to open, usually at 0400, to be at the resturant for deliveries, milk, bread, get things going. Then, you work the breakfast and lunch rush, you might be there for 10 hours. Or do a split shift, leave, and come back for close. You are basically doing so much work, is the pay and benefits worth it? That is up to you.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,793,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
As a "manager" you don't get OT, and often have to open, usually at 0400, to be at the resturant for deliveries, milk, bread, get things going. Then, you work the breakfast and lunch rush, you might be there for 10 hours. Or do a split shift, leave, and come back for close. You are basically doing so much work, is the pay and benefits worth it? That is up to you.
The same caveat is applicable to all salaried management positions and isn't confined to McDonalds or any fast food restaurant or any position in the service industry. I could rattle off a score of jobs which require similar flexibility. The bottom line is that, as you said, can you do it and is the remuneration sufficiently compensatory?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment