Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 02:48 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,986,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Yeah could be, but the flip side is that they can admire the determination. This is a dream job, so maybe it could be worth it?
If it's his dream job, all the more reason to conduct himself with the utmost integrity and professionalism.

Showing up uninvited screams of desperatism. Not professionalism. Nor determination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 01:06 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,499,415 times
Well I'm glad that all the posts are unanimous. We were just sitting around thinking of crazy ideas.

The thing is that the job starts Monday and the interview was last Monday. So it has been 7 days. The interview went great, they liked him and he did well on the skills test, but still no call on Monday afternoon. Do any of you think he's still being considered? Do employers care how much of a notice they give? They know he's not currently working.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:17 PM

623 posts, read 1,608,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Well I'm glad that all the posts are unanimous. We were just sitting around thinking of crazy ideas.

The thing is that the job starts Monday and the interview was last Monday. So it has been 7 days. The interview went great, they liked him and he did well on the skills test, but still no call on Monday afternoon. Do any of you think he's still being considered? Do employers care how much of a notice they give? They know he's not currently working.
Um..... Did he call like most of us suggested? Who knows what their thinking or happened. Your not going to find out what some company thinks by asking on a forum. CALL THE COMPANY AND ASK!

Old 02-07-2011, 04:32 PM

935 posts, read 2,418,715 times
Quote:

He could still be considered. Also, I know that some employers can ask someone to start working a.s.a.p. I know when I was interviewing for a job in journalism I didn't hear from them in about a month or two. I figured I didn't get the job. After a month or two, I received an e-mail from the company saying, "Oops, we've been so busy here we forgot to tell you that you're hired! Come in tomorrow for your first assignment."

I also remember the original interviewers at my current job wanted me to start the next day. However, I asked them if I could start on that Saturday. They were originally hesitant b/c that Saturday was going to be the day of a festival (which I didn't know about) but they said okay. That day was BRUTAL but I realized if I could survive that then I could survive at that place.

So, have him call the company back. You never know!

Old 02-07-2011, 05:45 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,618,200 times
Quote:
My friend had a job interview where they are recruiting a group of people to start on the same day for training. He hasn't gotten a call from them yet, but was thinking of just showing up on training day anyway. They told him what time the training would start and where it would be. What's the worst that can happen?
Sorry to sound like a psychic, but I'm getting 'vibes' after reading this: The vibes are along the lines of: Exploitation, disorganized people "in charge", fly-by-night BS, a laughable operation, etc.

Sorry - The "group" aspect rubs me the wrong way. JMO If he shows up and isn't treated with a minimum amount of respect, it's like getting stood up by a blind date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
So, have him call the company back. You never know!
Yes. This. If a business card was handed out, dial that number. Handing out the card is codespeak for "I expect you (meaning your friend) to follow up."

Old 02-07-2011, 07:27 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,493,570 times
This situation is equivalent to asking a girl out on a date and after she says "no", you show up at her house with flowers, expecting to go on the date.

Both employment and dating doesn't happen that way. The employer gets to decide who they want to hire, just like the person who gets asked out gets to decide whether or not they want to go on said date.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:43 PM

935 posts, read 2,418,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
This situation is equivalent to asking a girl out on a date and after she says "no", you show up at her house with flowers, expecting to go on the date.

Both employment and dating doesn't happen that way. The employer gets to decide who they want to hire, just like the person who gets asked out gets to decide whether or not they want to go on said date.
Actually, since she hasn't said anything about the company's response, it's more like going on a date and then waiting anxiously for them to call you back. If you wait a week for them to call back, and they haven't called back, then wouldn't you call them to see what's up? I mean, it could be they no longer want you or it could be they lost your phone number. The person should at least call and make sure it's a "no". I've met a couple of employers who said they want potential employees to call them b/c it means they want the job.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:07 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,128,438 times
The worst that can happen is a nuclear explosion: joking aside he should confirm first.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:57 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,493,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
Actually, since she hasn't said anything about the company's response, it's more like going on a date and then waiting anxiously for them to call you back. If you wait a week for them to call back, and they haven't called back, then wouldn't you call them to see what's up? I mean, it could be they no longer want you or it could be they lost your phone number. The person should at least call and make sure it's a "no". I've met a couple of employers who said they want potential employees to call them b/c it means they want the job.
Well, since the person is contemplating actually going to a training event that they weren't invited to, I'd say my comparison stands.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:44 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,499,415 times
Thanks everyone. The reason they are hiring a whole group is that it is a production studio and that's how it works.

I told him to call. The problem is that HR is so busy recruiting, you have to go through the receptionist. I said to tell the receptionist that you are returning so and so call and to transfer you. Emailing HR is almost useless as they never respond.

I told him to get a business card, but they didn't have any. It is a new location and they people interviewing work for the home location in another state and don't have business cards with phone numbers for where they can currently be reached.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment