Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 03:53 PM

126 posts, read 726,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Don't be surprised if he gets promoted into a supervisor position.
At least he's taking the initiative and showing leadership skills.
That's my thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 03:54 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,657,833 times
If I had a nickel for every boss/supervisor wannabe that I've had to work with then I'd have, like, 10 cents.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:25 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,650,383 times
Well I'm one of the wannabe supervisors but the problem is I don't want to be...I love my job but I am finding that I am in a position that if I don't delagate the work I have to do it all....I wish some people who are supervisors should actually be capable of supervising...

Old 02-03-2011, 05:12 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,657,833 times
Oh believe you me, I've been in countless situations where I had to step up and take charge where everyone else had zero initiative to get anything done. I'll play the "boss" role when it's absolutely necessary, otherwise I'd prefer to my own business and let others be. Unfortunately, too many unmotivated turds make it necessary for someone to cling to their ass like a wet towel.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:19 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,541,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
At my part-time, low-wage, benefits-free job, there is this one guy who acts like a supervisor.

Luckily there's enough workers that I rarely run into him, but when I do, he often has some kind of advice like "you should count faster" or something obvious. I just say "OK" and do an internal .

If it happened too often, I would go to management about it, but instead I chuckle, wondering if he is also on this board. No, wait, he's not, I don't work in a call center.
Honestly this guy is a good employee.

Obviously you are not hapyp with your job and don't really care, just do enough to get fired. I don't blame you as I have the same attitude when working certain jobs where I feel underpaid, overworked, or just have no future and dont care.

But don't knock this guy for trying to help you improve, he probably doesn't realize you dont G.A.S. Also, he's trying to improve productivity for the company and maybe he does liek the job or has some ambition to move up within the company and is showing some leadership even though he's not in a leadership position.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:21 PM

27 posts, read 98,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
At my part-time, low-wage, benefits-free job, there is this one guy who acts like a supervisor.

Luckily there's enough workers that I rarely run into him, but when I do, he often has some kind of advice like "you should count faster" or something obvious. I just say "OK" and do an internal .

If it happened too often, I would go to management about it, but instead I chuckle, wondering if he is also on this board. No, wait, he's not, I don't work in a call center.
Look, pal, you're looking at this incredible comedic opportunity all wrong. Allow me to also school you on how you should be on your J-O-B!

1. When he starts that "You're doing it all wrong.." stuff again, look him directly in the eye with earnest concern. When he stops talking, quiver your lip and do a face palm. Start sobbing softly and talk to him about how you fail at everything at that he just confirmed for you why you should end it all. When his jaw drops and he reaches out to apologize or console you, quickly smile like a lunatic, hit the floor and and say, "OH LOOK, A QUARTER!", picking an imaginary coin up. Then walk away whistling a happy tune as if nothing ever happened.

I could go on but hopefully you get my point. When life gives you lemonades, it's because it ran out of other fruit drinks and you got stuck with the bitter stuff. I have no idea what that means. Good luck.

Last edited by ThatsWhatSheSaid; 02-03-2011 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: I used improper grammar and I hit myself for it

Old 02-03-2011, 05:41 PM

4,641 posts, read 12,011,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsWhatSheSaid View Post
1. When he starts that "You're doing it all wrong.." stuff again, look him directly in the eye with earnest concern. When he stops talking, quiver your lip and do a face palm. Start sobbing softly and talk to him about how you fail at everything at that he just confirmed for you why you should end it all. When his jaw drops and he reaches out to apologize or console you, quickly smile like a lunatic, hit the floor and and say, "OH LOOK, A QUARTER!", picking an imaginary coin up. Then walk away whistling a happy tune as if nothing ever happened.
But does this conversation need take place on a rooftop? With a trampoline on the ground below? And involve a watermelon? Sorry, couldn't resist. And if nobody gets the reference, well, people don't usually get my references anyway so it's all good.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:44 PM

My Internet search skills have led me to conclude you are alluding to dead baby jokes, Sir. SHAME ON YOU AND THE KIN THAT BRED YOU!

No, seriously, what are you talking about exactly, it sounds funny.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:51 PM

4,641 posts, read 12,011,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsWhatSheSaid View Post
My Internet search skills have led me to conclude you are alluding to dead baby jokes, Sir. SHAME ON YOU AND THE KIN THAT BRED YOU!

No, seriously, what are you talking about exactly, it sounds funny.
I was referencing a dwight schrute/michael scott comedic suicide scene from The Office. Since Michael Scott's tag is "that's what she said", well, guess you can see why I thought my post would be funny.

To the OP--sorry to hijack. Good luck with your situation and hang in there. If this isn't your life's work and you don't have a whole lot invested in the position to begin with, just try to let it roll off your back.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:57 PM

That's what I get for watching the British version. I hang my head in unpatriotic shame...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment