Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:43 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,131,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Greek View Post
Wow....why do people who care about what a blue coller worker makes? Calling someone a monkey is so disrespectfully. Jobs are leaving US for higher profit yields and the ability to compete.
Because the cost is passed on to the consumer. I'm not suggesting that we should pay people $.40 an hour, and I am all for bringing manufacturing back to the USA. But I also feel that one of the main reasons it left to begin with was because companies got sick of paying absurd wages to unskilled labor. No one who puts blister packs of widgets into cardboard boxes should be making more than a teacher does--and in many factories in the 1980's, that's exactly what was happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 07:53 AM

470 posts, read 1,037,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
My last post back to you-- because as the french would say-- c'est pas la peine to continue.

5 years older means nothing in the context that you are using it-- what does mean something is the different experiences that happens in those years. I have been working in the corp world- professional environments since I was 18. If you were Mark Zuckerberg or similarly relevant, I would totally raise my white flag to you on the success scale.

But you are right-- good luck to you-- I will still contend with your attitude you are going to have a tough battle rising up the ranks in 90% of the corporate environments out there (that has been through personal experience however anecdotal that may be)-- but who am I kidding at the end of the day you will just lump it to how no one is seeing just how incredibly wonderful you are.
When you were 18 you were most likely in some sort of entry level position. By that context I've been working in the corporate world since I was 16. Now because of my deployment schedule with the Reserves since graduating college in 2006 I can only muster up almost 24 months of professional positions outside the military, I have seen success there in my limited experience. Unlike you though, I have been in both the military and the corporate world. My opinion is that the military has better leaders than the corporate world. I am also an officer in the United States Army. That's 235 years of proven experience producing competent leaders that have done things like become president of the United States or found successful companies like Wal-Mart. I would say I am able to speak with some expertise on leadership. Now, I'm not Mark Zuckerberg, but I have had the priviledge of leading some of the greatest men and women this country has to offer into combat. The military calls it combat. The corporate world calls it international management experience. I also have international experience as a "corporate trainer" in the private sector. Je parle francais, fais vous, ou une langue etrangere differente peut-etre ? Most your CEOs now at major companies have at least one year of experience abroad.

I'm 28, I can't wait to see where I'm at when I'm 33. I'm about ready to get hired on at a company next week it seems. They're doing the background check on me now. With many of your business leaders being in their 60s, I can only see myself in succeeding them in very short order.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:00 AM

My experience is that skills acquired in the military do not always translate well into the corporate world.

Don't bother to try to argue that point with me until you are a corporate executive with the years of experience leading organizations towards profitability that I have.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
My experience is that skills acquired in the military do not always translate well into the corporate world.

Don't bother to try to argue that point with me until you are a corporate executive with the years of experience leading organizations towards profitability that I have.
First of all, be thankful for your freedom.

Second, read these two articles. The first is an article that goes on and on about how successful veteran-owned businesses are, but makes the mistake of making a back-handed comment similar to what you are making. The writer of the article has sense seen the light and retracted his statement. The second article is a rebuttal written by a veteran owned business' CEO.

Why Veterans Make Great Entrepreneurs | BNET

Nick Rant: Veterans Make Great Entrepreneurs*|*The Rhino Den – Military Stories, News, MMA Features, Tim Kennedy

I could also counter your "don't argue the point comment" with don't try arguing your point until you have been faced with some real leadership challenges.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:

Gee, I remember back when I owned my own business back before I got deployed........again, I didn't have time to sit around and argue on forum sites. What's your title again?

Old 01-07-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
Gee, I remember back when I owned my own business back before I got deployed........again, I didn't have time to sit around and argue on forum sites. What's your title again?
Vice president. This is traditionally a slow week in our industry. Get over yourself.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
First of all, be thankful for your freedom.
Typical rhetoric to try to turn the tables. I never said anything about not being thankful to our military.

Quote:
Second, read these two articles. The first is an article that goes on and on about how successful veteran-owned businesses are, but makes the mistake of making a back-handed comment similar to what you are making. The writer of the article has sense seen the light and retracted his statement. The second article is a rebuttal written by a veteran owned business' CEO.
You are missing the point. I've seen first hand where someone with military leadership experience was unable to translate it in to a corporate culture at the last major corporation I worked for. I don't care what some veteran business owner has to say about it--he's obviously got an agenda to begin with. I do not. I have a large number of veterans in my family. Some of them were able to take their combat leadership skills into the corporate world--starting as executives, most of them were not and either returned to the military or started at a entry level corporate job and worked their way up like everyone else does.

Last edited by annerk; 01-07-2011 at 08:38 AM..

Old 01-07-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Typical rhetoric to try to turn the tables. I never said anything about not being thankful to our military.

You are missing the point. I've seen first hand where someone with military leadership experience was unable to translate it in to a corporate culture at the last major corporation I worked for. I don't care what some veteran business owner has to say about it--he's obviously got an agenda to begin with. I do not. I have a large number of veterans in my family. Some of them were able to take their combat leadership skills into the corporate world--starting as executives, most of them were not and either returned to the military or started at a entry level corporate job and worked their way up like everyone else does.
Did you read the article stats that come straight from the SBA? 1 out of 7 small business owners are veterans, stronger than any other demographic out there. That's statistics from a reputable source, not just antecdotal evidence.I'd say our skills transition nicely.

Even though I'm applying for jobs I'm also still pursuing entrenpreur goals I have. I'm looking into purchasing a franchise. I'm also working on a website that would sell products and preferrably drop ship them from the manufacturer. Sounds like everything else out there except my business model only uses 100% (materials and labor) made in the USA products. I'm looking at manufacturing my own line of products as well for something I have an extreme interest in. I'm even doing it with money I made from whoring out my skill sets to a private contractor and applying for loans from the SBA that I earned with my service to this great nation of ours. If I name myself CEO or President does that mean you'll listen to me then?

Old 01-07-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Did you read the article stats that come straight from the SBA? 1 out of 7 small business owners are veterans, stronger than any other demographic out there. That's statistics from a reputable source, not just antecdotal evidence.I'd say our skills transition nicely.
You are talking about small businesses--many of which don't have employees--I'm talking about leadership roles in corporations. Two different animals.

As far as small businesses, there's a difference between leadership and discipline, and I firmly believe that the discipline instilled in the military is what allows these businesses to survive, not neccessarily "leadership." To say otherwise is to imply that every member of every branch of every service is a "leader" or that only those who have held officer or NCO roles in the military ever start a small business. We both know that isn't the case in either instance.

Quote:
Even though I'm applying for jobs I'm also still pursuing entrenpreur goals I have. I'm looking into purchasing a franchise. I'm also working on a website that would sell products and preferrably drop ship them from the manufacturer. Sounds like everything else out there except my business model only uses 100% (materials and labor) made in the USA products. I'm looking at manufacturing my own line of products as well for something I have an extreme interest in. I'm even doing it with money I made from whoring out my skill sets to a private contractor and applying for loans from the SBA that I earned with my service to this great nation of ours. If I name myself CEO or President does that mean you'll listen to me then?
I'll listen to you when you've had years in business and have your retirement funded. It sounds like you are motivated, that's commendable. But being motivated and being successful don't always go hand in hand.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:24 AM

536 posts, read 1,431,695 times
Quote:

Weak argument. Because you succeed and Spokane fails (if he fails) that will prove what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment