Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 12:31 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,185,414 times

Advertisements

What to do about working for a family-owned business where the patriarch is a rational, but forgetful, nice guy until 4 p.m. and a snarling, senile drunk until closing time.

His wife is in total denial that he's losing it. He lives on the property and she doesn't, so she doesn't see the nasty side of him. We all are desparate for jobs in this area and have to tolerate verbal and some physical abuse and walk on egg-shells most of the time.

We just "grin-and-bear-it." But it's getting unbearable. He's getting worse by the day and she just can't see it.

If we confront her with evidence he's going south, she'll tell him and he'll deny it and blame someone else.

If I give the employees a thumbs up for a great job and then they're berated by the drunk, mean owner for being asked to do something they're not trained to do???

How can I handle my staff with owners like this?

Any psychiatrists/counselors/advisors out there? IHelp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 02:48 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,457,710 times
tape him dureing those little times with your cell phone or tape recorder and show it to his wife and tell her the next time i show this tape is to the labor broad and the lawyer for a lawsuit your choice in how to deal with it ..

Old 12-24-2010, 03:21 PM

15 posts, read 26,291 times
The labor board isn't going to take every case. And it is expensive to hire an attorney. And even then who knows what will happen even if you win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
tape him dureing those little times with your cell phone or tape recorder and show it to his wife and tell her the next time i show this tape is to the labor broad and the lawyer for a lawsuit your choice in how to deal with it ..

Old 12-24-2010, 05:19 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,457,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanlady View Post
The labor board isn't going to take every case. And it is expensive to hire an attorney. And even then who knows what will happen even if you win.
first off i do not to get into a he said or she said type post but if you walk into the labor broad with that type of taped evidence to show them and they will belive you and they will bring the full weight of the dept down on his head ..

second a good labor lawyer would be forming at the month to get a case where it a clear cut case where the owner was showed to be doing wrong things to the workers with a taped evidence record to show a judge in a civil case that you bring into the court room on a civil matter.

plus they will take it pro buno for you and make the person who they went after pay there legal fees to them and make you a few dollars as well on the case ..

that way the police dept love the video evidence dureing a trial when the guy wants to go to trial over the stop ..

Old 12-24-2010, 06:00 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,538,378 times
It all sounds like a lot of drama and work; taping the guy, finding a lawyer, going to court, more drama there.. etc. You may lose. Do you need a reference? How long have you been employed there? If not long, I would either look for work on the side and leave when you get an offer, or just resign and close the door on that place. Family owned business are a beitch to work for. They will always defend family and close their eyes no matter what; you will always be wrong if you're not family. Family will always be "right". It really sucks working for a family business.Been there twice.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:11 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,185,414 times
Thanks, everybody.

I'm afraid if I do the "right" thing and take legal action, the owners would walk away from the business and nothing would come of it except for possibly years of litigation and several dozen people being out of work in an area with very high unemployment.

I guess there is no solution except to just keep looking for another job and meanwhile bite the bullet....

Old 01-01-2011, 08:31 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,656,889 times
One thing that is part of that equation is physical abuse. Under NO circumstances should ANYONE be physically abused by a employer and expected to sit there and take it. Period. Not for any amount of money. It's NOT OK to let that go. I would use the cell phone for video if he does physically abuse them and take THAT to the police station. While it make cost you the job-he'll be dealing with police charges. Why is it that people seem to think these days it's OK to be verbally and physically abused at the work place is OK? Honestly-I've heard that a LOT from the 20 somethings I work with. And it's bologna.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:34 AM

7,978 posts, read 7,396,481 times
I worked for an attorney who used to have temper tantrums and throw things. One day, he sent a brass picture frame flying across the room. It hit his door, splintering the wood and shattering the glass in the frame. It put a big hole in the door. I told him in no uncertain terms that he could have hit one of us if we'd picked that inopportune moment to enter his office. You know the expression "eat crow"? I saw it that day. The reason for the hissy fit? Too many appointments on his book that week (right after lunch). He was seldom in the office, he was going through a messy divorce - and wanted three hour blocks at lunch time. It was rumored he was "seeing someone".

Old 01-02-2011, 06:13 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,273,718 times
Ugh, I feel for you. I've had two bosses like that in my lifetime, and unfortunately it's pretty much a no-win situation. The only thing I can suggest is to set up a formal appointment to meet with him (early morning of course) and without even mentioning the alcohol, just say that you are concerned with how he is making it difficult for employees to be effective in their positions, and that you'd like to work with him to develop a solution so the business will become more profitable.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:12 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,540,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
You shouldn't go advising people to tape other people, in states which have two party consent, which is a good number of states this person would be committing a felony if they followed your advice.

Here's the laws state by state...

"Can We Tape?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment