Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 03:47 PM

543 posts, read 3,080,131 times

Advertisements

How hard is it nowadays to be hired as a teacher?
Does where you got your degree matter much? For example being from top 20 University is better than a podunk U?

What if you don't have an education degree, do you have to get a Masters in Education?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 01:38 AM

30,409 posts, read 52,034,932 times
Teachers are still being hired, but not like they used to be... here in San Francisco they're laying off teachers right & left, even those with 20+ years in the school district. You don't need a degree in education though, just a credential for the state in which you'll be working - and those can be obtained with a Bachelor's in anything, plus the CBEST and a credential training program (usually takes one year). Student teaching is important too, as you'll need that to even apply for a credential program.

My best advice is to focus on special education, as that's still a "hot" market - I'm always seeing openings in that field, and credentials in special ed are very marketable. Also helps to live in a rural or low-income area, where qualified applicants are harder to find. Here in San Francisco, you even get annual bonuses for working in "hard-to-staff" schools (usually the lowest performing and highest crime areas). I worked in one of those designated schools last year, but unfortunately as a part-timer without the added bonus. Finally, have you considered Teach for America or teaching abroad? I've heard those aren't soooo easy to get now, but it used to be an excellent way to gain experience. Good luck!

Old 11-13-2010, 01:42 AM

Oh, and to answer this question - "Does where you got your degree matter much? For example being from top 20 University is better than a podunk U?" - I think it only matters somewhat. You don't have to attend a "top 20" to get teaching jobs, but you should at least go somewhere on the level of a state school. My undergraduate degree is from a private 4-year university (well regarded but not quite top-tier), and I got my Master's at San Jose State University... had no choice with the graduate school, since it's the only MLIS program within ~400 miles.

Anyway, my educational background was perfectly acceptable, as I was hired for a good job right out of grad school. I've since lost that job to lay-offs, but none of my subsequent job searches have been affected positively or negatively by the schools I attended. They only care that you graduated with an accredited/recognized degree, and in some cases that you earned a decent GPA while there.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-13-2010 at 01:53 AM..

Old 11-13-2010, 02:10 PM

11,323 posts, read 18,941,012 times
I have a lot of other posts on this subject, please feel free to search for them, but a few basic thoughts from my own experience:

1) For the most part, the college you go to doesn't make a big difference the way it does for MBAs or for law degrees, and as for GPA, some "elite" districts are picky about it and some states have a minimum GPA to get licensure, but even there it's not as big a deal as in other professions for the most part. In fact, nowadays "alternate route programs" (where you have a prior career that is very relevant to the subject you teach and you go for some methods classes, etc. to get your license without having to get an entire Education degree) exist and while some districts do prefer people going the "traditional" route, there are some people in "alternate route" who get jobs.

2) Try to student teach at a district you can see yourself teaching at, and stay in touch with your student teaching advisor, the teacher you worked with, etc. I know someone who two years after getting their credential got a job when the teacher they worked with for student teaching retired.

3) Sub in as many districts as you can within a 1 hour drive of your home. And take on as many grades and subjects as your comfortable with so you can maximize the number of schools you're exposed to and make contacts, etc. (and subbing a "difficult" subject may not be what you think; for example, subbing a "special ed" teacher is actually relatively easy because you almost always have a paraprofessional assistant working with you all day and most of the time you are helping out in a "regular" teacher's class as the 'co-teacher'......it's actually a super way to observe others classrooms and get contacts).

Everything else I would say (or have said in past posts) is similar to what Gizmo said. It's the toughest hiring environment for teachers out there in probably most of our lifetimes, but there is some hiring out there. Good luck!

Old 11-13-2010, 07:00 PM

964 posts, read 2,650,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
How hard is it nowadays to be hired as a teacher?

Does where you got your degree matter much?

For example being from top 20 University is better than a podunk U?

What if you don't have an education degree, do you have to get a Masters in Education?
Somewhere between 22 and 23.

What does "much" mean?

Yes.

No

Old 11-14-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
and those can be obtained with a Bachelor's in anything, plus the CBEST and a credential training program (usually takes one year).
How much is the bonus? And what is the credential training program called? Can you teach while taking the training program? How much does the program cost?

Old 11-14-2010, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
How much is the bonus? And what is the credential training program called? Can you teach while taking the training program? How much does the program cost?
Here in San Francisco, I believe you get $2500 per academic year for working in these schools... more if you have a Master's, since that qualifies you for additional bonuses.

I don't know where you live, so can't give specifics on your state's credential programs... but here's the website for California credentials, to give you an idea: California Commission on Teacher Credentialing

And here's a link to programs throughout California: TEACH California | Find the Right Preparation Program

There are also some alternative methods, such as earning your credentials online (choose those wisely), joining Teach for America, teaching abroad, etc. You can look up those programs online, and they should outline how everything works. All of these options work differently, and will cost anywhere from nothing to $20K+ to complete. Some of them will allow you to teach while earning the credential, especially if you've already passed the CBEST.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:10 AM

11,323 posts, read 18,941,012 times
Regarding a Master's, since I don't know your state, I want to note that New York DOES require a Masters in Education, I think they are unique in that regard. However, you can get a teaching certificate with a Bachelor's and are given X years (I think it's 3 or 5, not sure) to get a Master's.

The only other related case I know of is Connecticut requires you to EVENTUALLY get a Master's, but it can be in anything (i.e. doesn't have to be in Education or even the subject you are teaching), and you have 10 years after getting your license to do it (though there have been talk of shortening that to 8 or even 5).

Old 11-14-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
There are also some alternative methods, such as earning your credentials online (choose those wisely), joining Teach for America, teaching abroad, etc. You can look up those programs online, and they should outline how everything works. All of these options work differently, and will cost anywhere from nothing to $20K+ to complete. Some of them will allow you to teach while earning the credential, especially if you've already passed the CBEST.
If you get one of those jobs teaching abroad like in Korea or Japan do you automatically qualify as a teacher?

Also if you are originally from East Asia will you be less likely to be hired over native people?

Old 11-14-2010, 04:53 PM

Also what is the starting salary like? I'm guessing about 30k?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment