Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 04:18 PM

7 posts, read 15,218 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I saw this question asked when I was Googling something, but the thread was four months old, and saw a few more have asked similar questions.

Let me give a little perspective. I graduated from a respectable public university in April. I had a good GPA, pretty good work experience during college, and even got involved at school. You know, everything that your school tells you will guarentee that you'll get snatched up in a second.

Well this didn't happen.

I attended a couple career fairs, and got some interviews, and even a couple offers to do phone sales for mortgages, loans, etc. One offer with Wells Fargo, and one with M and T Bank. Both paid right around $30k a year. Not a terrible salary for this economy, but honestly, the career path wasn't there.

Having heard that you should wait for a good job, even if it takes a year, I turned them down.

My next interview was for an assistant manager position at a bank in Kentucky. I got there and was offered a lessor job. Again, turned it down.

Now things get bleak. I get few interviews for three months, and none turn into anything.

I was blessed because I still was working part time making $12 an hour. I was surviving, but student loans are coming up soon, and I won't be able to make it when that comes.

This whole time I told everyone I met that I was looking for work. I would strike up conversation for just that purpose.

Finally a contact came through and got me an interview. I was interviewed Friday, got the offer 4 hours later. Very good job, nationally recognized company, room for growth... And a nice salary that affords me the ability to actually do things.

So here are my takeaways.

Don't give up, you never know how quick that job will come up. I was discouraged, and honestly, I probably pushed people away. I had wished I had never gone to college.

Don't settle too low. I think it hurts in the long run, obviously at a certain point you settle, but if you're smart and your skills are in demand, sell it!

Network, apply online, look outside your ideal career, and geographic location. My job came outside of the field I thought I'd get I am loving it more than I thought. I am working in the city I graduated from which isn't great, but kiee is long, i'll have time to move.

There is a lot of doom and gloom, and the media wants to say that you can't find work for years. This simply isn't true for all. Most college students find work after about 8 months now. Most college graduates find work much faster.

I hope that this encourages someone. I am a normal guy who thought that there was no hope just 2 months ago, now I am so happy with my career. I'm nothing special, so if I can make it, so can anyone who is out of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment