Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 10:52 AM

18 posts, read 124,166 times

Advertisements

So I understand this question in an interview when the company is fairly well known, but why of why do start-up company's ask me this?

The bigger problem was that the person who asked me this asked in a way that was acting like the company was the next google.

I mean obviously I talked about startups and why I wanted to join them, but when every startup in the industry looks the same and is seriously undifferentiated, don't ask me that.

You tell me why I should I join you and I'll tell you why you should pick me. Not the other way around. Next time I'm going to ask the interviewer why he wants to hire me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 11:26 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,244,197 times
Last time someone asked me that I told them that I thought that question should be banned from interviews.

I went on to explain that if they were Lockheed/Martin and I was an HVAC engineer I might have a great answer to that question, but the truth was that I do clerical work and until they called me for the interview I had never heard of their company. I did check their website before I came, but there was not enough information available to make me excited about the company. So the best answer I could offer was that they had an open position that I was more than capable of filling.

I was hired on the spot.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:27 AM

914 posts, read 4,446,322 times
I got fed up with answering that question for rather undesirable jobs, so once I answered that question once with "Well, primarily because I need a job and you've agreed to interview me." I got the job because they liked that I was honest.

That's probably an answer that is more likely to backfire on you, though.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:46 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
Sometimes interview questions have very little to do with the actual question itself. Sometimes it is a way to see how people react and think.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:30 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelicious View Post
So I understand this question in an interview when the company is fairly well known, but why of why do start-up company's ask me this?

The bigger problem was that the person who asked me this asked in a way that was acting like the company was the next google.

I mean obviously I talked about startups and why I wanted to join them, but when every startup in the industry looks the same and is seriously undifferentiated, don't ask me that.

You tell me why I should I join you and I'll tell you why you should pick me. Not the other way around. Next time I'm going to ask the interviewer why he wants to hire me.
You I;m pretty sure you won't get the job-lol You have to play the GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-28-2010, 06:05 PM

50,387 posts, read 64,034,538 times
LOL. I just got hired today, despite my answer to that question, which was, "I just want to have medical insurance until I retire".

Old 10-28-2010, 07:30 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,528,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelicious View Post

I agree it's a stupid question. "why do you want to work here?"

"For the paycheck you idiot."

Sure if your the Blackhawks and I'm a fan I'd love to work for you but I agree some start up who you've never heard of, even through doing some research about the company you may not know what kind of work environment it is.

Here's a few things to say, obviously only if they are tru. Startups seems to be less structured, more creative, etc. Personally I like that in a workplace.

Another thing could be if they are known to be an employee friendly company or have a good benefits package.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:53 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
I once got a very desirable job when I answered "Gotta eat" to the above question (and aced an English test). I don't think I'd have the guts to say that now, especially not for a job that people would stomp their grandmother for.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:06 AM

580 posts, read 2,293,658 times
The OP mentioned this question was asked during an interview from a start up company. IMO this is a stupid question anyway but for a start up company, it is really stupid. What are you supposed to say? I want to work for a company that may or may not be here a year from now. Or, I want to work for your company because I'm not sure how financially stable you are and I like my checks to bounce. There really is no way to honestly answer the question and put the company in good light.

I don't know what they are hoping to find out about you but it might just be they like to see you sweat. I would bet that is as good of a bet as any.

I don't think it would help you get the job, but wouldn't it feel good to turn it around and ask why does anybody want a job anywhere? Maybe that would answer their question. At least it would be honest.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:36 AM

85 posts, read 105,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
I want to work for a company that may or may not be here a year from now. Or, I want to work for your company because I'm not sure how financially stable you are and I like my checks to bounce. There really is no way to honestly answer the question and put the company in good light.
Bwahaha!

"I'm a gamblin' man."

"I love a rush of adrenaline in the mornings."

"Three letters: I-P-O. Ca-ching!"

"I'm in it for the ping-pong tournaments, really."

"My wife likes bad boys, and taking this job ensures I'll get lucky every weekend for the next year!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment