Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 03:17 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,364,775 times

Advertisements

Many places do infact run your credit and will not hire you if it is bad. In California you can not work for the CHP, Police or Sherrif departments. The reason for that is you may be tempted to help someone out for cash or help your self out.

Financial institutions also run your credit.

Some healthcare jobs also run your credit.

Places that you have access to assets that could be sold without the knowledge of others sometimes will also run your credit.

In the case of a tax bill that may be debatable. Not like you mismanaged your finances, other than making some bad tax decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 3,002 times
Default Credit Checks & Employers

Yes, in response to your post. I am not an expert but I know from experience that a negative credit score will hinder your employment opportunites in general. Especially in finance and accounting! Sometimes it depends on the state you live in. Before the recession I had A1 credit and a great job. Once I lost my job, I lost my income. When you loose income you cant pay bills. When you can pay bills YOU HAVE BAD CREDIT! One late payment jacks you up. I have been unempolyed consistently since 07, no more unempolyment, no part time, nada. I went from having American Express credits cards to cant even get a checking account now. I am a accounting clerk and have denials letters, emails, phones or what ever descending job opps. because of my credit. No not because I'm a criminal or not a US ciitizen because I lost my job. Creditors have the never to tell me to borrow money from relatives or banks? LOL HOW 99% of the people I know are broke too. If I cant get a JOB how can I pay my Bills? This is a CATCH 22 which is a real legal term for this situation. THIS IS DISCRIMATORY! AND IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL! This should be overwritten by congress or obama whoever in all US sates. Everyone is having credit issues and filing for record bankruptices. I personally think consumer debt should be wiped clean for everyone since this recession has started. Credit does not determine a persons character or responsiblity level or maturity. unless you hjave been convicted of a crime why does my credit matter. I had good credit once 710 credit score, it doesnt matter now. We have to write our congress men and start a petition because it's simply unfair and unamerican for good people who experinced bad luck. Best of lucK

please excuse the typos, and errors but this topic gets my blood boiling.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:20 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,237,332 times
I was asked in an interview over a decade ago if I minded if they did a credit check. I told them I didn't mind at all since after looking at it....they would hire me out of sympathy. I got the job.

In this job, it was totally warranted. I don't think for most jobs it should matter at all. Just another way of getting beat down when everything is already on a downward spiral. I hate the new job market....it's vicious and cruel. I feel sorry for all you younger people. Life used to not be like that.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
It probably isn't going to help if you're looking for work in the financial sector. However, I wouldn't bring it up. If they ask about it, just tell them the truth.
Just happened to me - I had a perfectly good 90K per year job offer in the Financial Sector - and defeat was plucked from the arms of victory after the credit check. Offer rescinded - no job means I cannot begin to fix the problem. I spoke with my "tax expert" ahead of time and the response was "Really? you can be denied employment because of a lien?" - some expert. I also argued with the State tax dummy and his response was similar. Now how can 2 "professionals" not know how the real world works. In the end - I must fix and pay this lien off - it will just take longer now - since I cannot get a job in the profession of my choice for the past 25 years.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:49 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,282,707 times
Credit checks for jobs are kind of stupid. Don't people needs jobs to pay bills or maintain good credit?

Makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment