Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 04:06 PM

34 posts, read 55,095 times

Advertisements

I applied for a teaching job, no cash handling, no merchandise. they wanted me to approve a 5 page consumer credit report. I felt violated. i have good credit but i refused to sign it. i did approve a criminal history check. why do they do this? i had the same job for 25 years and have lived in the same house for 20. i didn't get the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 04:10 PM

200 posts, read 486,587 times
Most of the US population won't agree with me, but even though I'm jobless and a few days away from homeless, I will not finish an application if I see in the fine print that they're going to do a credit check on me, or as they have eloquently rephrased it, "personal habits" or some asenine term as such. My credit history is none of their business. Bad credit history doesn't turn someone into a thief.

I also refuse to do drug testing for any potential job. I have always felt this is an invasion of personal privacy and one can not dictate what an employee does on their off hours.

Thus, between these two (I don't have a problem w/a background check so much), it has become much harder to find jobs I can apply for. However, after putting a lot of thought into the pee test thing recently, I still came up with my original belief - if I do it, I won't respect myself. And self-respect is everything.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:11 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,628,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifed View Post
I applied for a teaching job, no cash handling, no merchandise. they wanted me to approve a 5 page consumer credit report. I felt violated. i have good credit but i refused to sign it. i did approve a criminal history check. why do they do this? i had the same job for 25 years and have lived in the same house for 20. i didn't get the job.
Sorry to hear that.

I really don't see why they would want a credit report if you aren't handling cash or merchandise. I'd have felt the same way because outside of those type jobs it's not necessary.

Especially in a teaching position. Is that what job hunting has come to now? Credit reports on applications?

Old 01-01-2013, 04:20 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,546,164 times
I applied for a clerical temp job scheduled to last 4 months, for FEMA, of all the failing, maligned organizations. The job did not require handling money or sensitive info pertaining to money. They had me sign a credit check form. What....? Further, I did not get this luscious 4 month job, no benefits, 12 hour shift days, 6 days a week.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:24 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,546,164 times
BTW, doesn't your credit report take a hit each time they run a credit check?

Old 01-01-2013, 04:25 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,628,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
I applied for a clerical temp job scheduled to last 4 months, for FEMA, of all the failing, maligned organizations. The job did not require handling money or sensitive info pertaining to money. They had me sign a credit check form.
Strange... I work with metal valued in the thousands to hundreds of thousands on a daily basis... and never had to do a credit check.

I guess because it's not as easy as loading it all up into a truck and taking it to a scrap metal facility... first thing the scrap yard wants to know is where you got it and if you paid for it.

Quote:
Yep... too many inquiries on your report looks bad on you.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:29 PM

34 posts, read 55,095 times
Default credit checks on applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Sorry to hear that.

I really don't see why they would want a credit report if you aren't handling cash or merchandise. I'd have felt the same way because outside of those type jobs it's not necessary.

Especially in a teaching position. Is that what job hunting has come to now? Credit reports on applications?
My former boss said that it showed that i was a trouble maker who wouldn't follow directions. haha, but perhaps true. it was only a sub job. so no 5:30 wake up calls. and this job was teaching adults. go figure.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:39 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,450,817 times
Quote:
No. The credit check is a "soft hit". The only ones that effect the credit score are applications for credits, loans, etc

Old 01-01-2013, 04:42 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,461,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinhobo View Post
Most of the US population won't agree with me, but even though I'm jobless and a few days away from homeless, I will not finish an application if I see in the fine print that they're going to do a credit check on me, or as they have eloquently rephrased it, "personal habits" or some asenine term as such. My credit history is none of their business. Bad credit history doesn't turn someone into a thief.

I also refuse to do drug testing for any potential job. I have always felt this is an invasion of personal privacy and one can not dictate what an employee does on their off hours.

Thus, between these two (I don't have a problem w/a background check so much), it has become much harder to find jobs I can apply for. However, after putting a lot of thought into the pee test thing recently, I still came up with my original belief - if I do it, I won't respect myself. And self-respect is everything.
Thank the right to work states, anti-unionists and the republican party.
Your choice if you want to work or not.
You want to work, you have to play the game.
There are hundreds of applicants for that job you're turning down.
Not the choice I'd make if I were facing homelessness.

You can apply for any job, you simply refuse to do so based on your priorities.

BTW, they do credit checks when you rent an apartment, too.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:45 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,461,023 times
Quote:
I applied for a clerical temp job scheduled to last 4 months, for FEMA, of all the failing, maligned organizations. The job did not require handling money or sensitive info pertaining to money. They had me sign a credit check form. What....? Further, I did not get this luscious 4 month job, no benefits, 12 hour shift days, 6 days a week.
Then why did you bother applying if you hate the organization?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search