Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,402,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
Yes, it absolutely does!!! I asked the bank manager where we have our account and he told me that every time someone pulls your credit history, that takes your score down some. Even someone with great credit doesn't want their score lowered because of some unecessary clause in a job application.
This is NOT true. ONLY those "hits" on your credit for credit etc. actually effect your score. Soft hits, like a background check DO NOT

Background checks do not. If you guys INSIST on continuing this, please do so after following the below links. ALL of them from reputable sources, ALL of them stating POINT BLANK that a credit check for a job does NOT LOWER YOUR SCORE

#2 in this article:

The Top 6 Misconceptions About Credit Scores - Forbes

This one discusses a "soft inquiry"
https://www.lendingtree.com/credit-r...-score-article

This one too:
Difference Between a Hard & Soft Background Check | Chron.com

OMG, this one too...
New FCRA Rules on Credit Scores Do Not Apply to Employment Background Checks Utilizing Credit Reports from Background Screening Firms

And another one. I could go on....
Hard Inquiries and Soft Inquiries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 10:55 PM

200 posts, read 483,340 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

The only time credit checks are valid in employment is if you'll be working with high amounts of money. Macys and Walmart hire people with horrible credit all the time to handle the cash register. By right these companies should be more discriminatory than for a position typing up documents and shuffling papers.
LOL. That would kind of be ironic, wouldn't it? Wallyworld running credit checks on employees, but welcoming the rest of the redneck society to put themselves in debt. LOL.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:21 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,310,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
What about "against the law" don't you understand?

It's "against the law" for you to ask my marital status, how many children I have, my race (if it's not evident), religion or if I like it missionary or from the back.

If you ask a potential applicant to "volunteer" this info you are BREAKING THE LAW and will open yourself up to all sorts of fines and lawsuits AS YOU SHOULD BE.
As I asked you before, what law is this against?
Absolutely NONE.
Deadbeat or debtor is not a protected class.

You're wrong on all counts.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:24 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,038,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
As I asked you before, what law is this against?
Absolutely NONE.
Deadbeat or debtor is not a protected class.

You're wrong on all counts.
Why are you answering this post? It wasn't directed towards you, but to the person who said they would "break the law" by asking an applicant to "volunteer" their credit report on their own IF the government said asking for this (nicely or not) would be ILLEGAL.

As of now, having credit issues is not a protected class, but you will be amazed at how QUICKLY your "perfect" credit can easily become "imperfect" or "deadbeat" status in a matter of days or hours.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:26 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,179,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
This always been the dumbest thing I ever heard of since getting a job with higher cash flow allows someone to improve their credit. I guess someone who has bad credit is just done for life and can't ever get a chance?
It's a catch-22 indeed.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:27 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,038,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Agreed fully, but people are too stubborn to realize this. Because it isn't "fair". I worked hard to maintain my finances and live responsibly. Sure I had my dark period where my credit was total crap, but I fixed it and learned from my mistakes. It is called personal accountability, which sadly a lot of people lack.
Yeah, but when was this?

You guys kill me with your 'holier than thouness" NOW, but millions of americans with good credit prior to be letting go from their jobs in this recession are unable to turn it back around due to NOT FINDING DECENT EMPLOYMENT where they can comfortably pay immediate bills and put a little to the side.

Living in a bubble much?

Old 01-03-2013, 09:35 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,488,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
This always been the dumbest thing I ever heard of since getting a job with higher cash flow allows someone to improve their credit. I guess someone who has bad credit is just done for life and can't ever get a chance?
I started to repair my credit when I was making 7.25 an hr.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 AM

763 posts, read 2,606,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
This is NOT true. ONLY those "hits" on your credit for credit etc. actually effect your score. Soft hits, like a background check DO NOT

Background checks do not. If you guys INSIST on continuing this, please do so after following the below links. ALL of them from reputable sources, ALL of them stating POINT BLANK that a credit check for a job does NOT LOWER YOUR SCORE

#2 in this article:

The Top 6 Misconceptions About Credit Scores - Forbes

This one discusses a "soft inquiry"
https://www.lendingtree.com/credit-r...-score-article

This one too:
Difference Between a Hard & Soft Background Check | Chron.com

OMG, this one too...
New FCRA Rules on Credit Scores Do Not Apply to Employment Background Checks Utilizing Credit Reports from Background Screening Firms

And another one. I could go on....
Hard Inquiries and Soft Inquiries
OK, so it doesn't lower your score, but the point that I'm trying to make and others, as well, is that employers who insist on checking the credit rating on potential employees who will NOT be handling cash and/or merchandise is totally and without question, unacceptable and an unnecessary privacy breach.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:50 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,179,448 times
Quote:
OK, so it doesn't lower your score, but the point that I'm trying to make and others, as well, is that employers who insist on checking the credit rating on potential employees who will NOT be handling cash and/or merchandise is totally and without question, unacceptable and an unnecessary privacy breach.
This has been disproved in this thread and supported by research. I'm surprised that you don't believe in universities, higher education, and academia.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:56 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,527,146 times
Quote:
Absolutely. Credit companies and others who benefit pay for studies to be done to support the fallacy that bad credit proves lack of character, or irresponsibility. In essence these studies are biased, because they ARE FINANCED BY A PARTY THAT HAS AN INTEREST IN A SUBJECTIVE OUTCOME. It's advertising.This is the essence of "academia" or "research". There are just enough studies done that disprove this misconception that bad credit=bad person. This is actually a subjective moral opinion that has nothing to do with real life, and the many UNAVOIDABLE OR UNFORSEEABLE events that occur to humans living in an industrialized, capitalist society. Basically, in plain English for the common man, ITS BULL CACA.

If someone has a clean criminal background and a clean drug test, that should matter MORE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search