Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 18,227 times

Advertisements

I am an introvert majoring in accounting. I have done a couple internships in auditing and based on my experience, auditing is a very extraverted job contrary to the stereotype. Most of my time was spent meeting new people, interviewing them with questions, working with other members of my team, etc. The only time I worked alone is when I drafted reports (finalizing reports again involved teamwork). So my question is really addressed to the accountants out there or people who know about accounting: What are the relatively more introverted jobs for an accountant?

My only experience so far in my education is with auditing, but I would assume bookkeeping would be more introverted. However, I don't know if that's a well-paying position. I'm going to be a CPA so I think I might be overqualified for simple entry work. I know extraverts generally make more money than introverts, but I don't think I can change who I fundamentally am - I can be a less introverted introvert, but I don't think I'll ever be an extravert.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 01:11 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,731 times
I would say maybe accounting jobs in government, but those can be hard to find or to break into because they usually want experience in governmental accounting [totally different set of rules] or audit experience. If I were you I would just try to stick with audit for a while and then hopefully transition outside public accounting to a job where I was a better fit. You're right that public accounting in the long term is not a good place for introverts, although it might be easier at a smaller firm. National/Big 4 type firms are the kiss of death for introverted people, because not only do you have to do a lot of work related interaction you have to schmooze a lot within the firm in order to be attached to projects. I know this from experience, got booted out after my first year and have been unemployed ever since.

I worked in tax and can tell you that it is a lot more limited than audit as far as other things you can do with it.

I know that jobs with the IRS aren't all that great for introverts, you are out in the field dealing with taxpayers every day. One of my professors told me that the days of the accountant just sitting in a room by themselves and working with numbers are pretty much over with, this isn't a field to go into if you want to avoid working with people. Unfortunately, you may be right that the better jobs for introverts are probably those that don't require as much education--it may be better to be the accounting clerk/bookkeeper. But I know in my case I am considered overqualified for those jobs at this point--I have applied to several of them and have gotten no response.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:47 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,369,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iencarlson View Post

My only experience so far in my education is with auditing, but I would assume bookkeeping would be more introverted. However, I don't know if that's a well-paying position. I'm going to be a CPA so I think I might be overqualified for simple entry work. I know extraverts generally make more money than introverts, but I don't think I can change who I fundamentally am - I can be a less introverted introvert, but I don't think I'll ever be an extravert.
I know the accounting people where I am usually just stare at the computer all day. Some of them have to talk to other people within their own department, but that's usually it. The computer accounting admin usually just sits in front of the computer all the time (processing the accounting department files). So maybe you want to learn to do the computer system like Oracle, Hyperion, or whatever financial system people use. Many people don't want to learn the details of the computer system, so the admins can make decent salary.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:58 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,597,080 times
I work in governmental accounting. What a switch from private industry accounting. Weird. Anyway I mostly just deal with the people in my department and a few in my agency. I rarely deal with the public....and that's the way I like it.

I am highly extroverted and enjoy interacting with my co-workers for the most part. I wouldn't last long, however, at any job where I had to deal with the public.

As far as being a CPA, like you stated, you would be overqualified to be a bookkeeper. But perhaps you could find a firm where you could work on special projects--ones that with your CPA license might warrant higher pay, but minimal interaction with people. Maybe even one where you could work from home and rarely even have to go into the office.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:53 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Things to think about...

Depending on what you consider "introverted" you might want to consider some fields / specialities that are known for a higher degree of precision.

Acturial studies tend to require quite a bit more "higher level" analytic skills than accounting. If you like the pure numbers and can handle the ability to abstract data that might be one area to consider, though if you already done an internship with CPA firm maybe you want to refocus.

One sub-specialty that most CPA firms have is forensic accounting. If you like the solitary review of financial statements, tracing back discrepancies in entries, patterns of cash flow you might be cut out to be a CFE...

Old 10-06-2010, 10:31 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,866,277 times
None because you won't get a job if you don't market yourself to people.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:33 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iencarlson View Post
I know extraverts generally make more money than introverts, but I don't think I can change who I fundamentally am - I can be a less introverted introvert, but I don't think I'll ever be an extravert.
How did you do in your internships? Did you fail miserably because you had to deal with other people?

If you did fine just roll with it.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:40 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,116 times
The one area of accounting where I find many introverts is tax. It's a very technical area where your knowledge and ability to find the right answer through research, doesn't necessarily demand a lot of interaction with others. It is even more pronounced when you get into sub-specialities within taxation, or in technical industry groups like oil & gas or insurance.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:02 PM

280 posts, read 686,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
It is even more pronounced when you get into sub-specialties within taxation, or in technical industry groups like oil & gas or insurance.

How does oil, gas, or insurance relate to Accounting?

Old 12-04-2013, 08:38 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
How does oil, gas, or insurance relate to Accounting?
Certain industries have unique tax and accounting regulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment