Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 11:10 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,775,660 times

Advertisements

I am interested in possibly breaking into academic advising. However, I've read conflicting information as to whether counseling/advising suits an introvert's personality. Some sources say yes because introverts are understanding, empathetic and good listeners. Others say no because naturally the job would require spending a lot of time around other people, thus leading the introvert to burn out quickly.

What's your view on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 02:22 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
In my experience introverts are horrible at advising jobs. I've clashed with almost every introverted adviser or counselor. They are way too into themselves, they overgeneralize, they can't empathize, and they are difficult to deal with. To be a good counselor you need to have the technical skills. Then you need to have the outgoing and friendly personality. You are not there to show off. You are there to help, encourage, inform, and motivate people.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:31 AM

artsy,

Wow! What you stated runs contrary to what is generally stated about introverts. I feel I would be empathetic - I love to help people. I'm also a scholar at heart and would love to help students succeed academically.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:32 AM

Any other comments/opinions?

Old 09-08-2010, 07:38 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,374,152 times
I am an introvert and my job is highly technical. I would suck as an advisor. I tend to cut to the chase and kind of lack of empathy for (whiny) people.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:52 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,816,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
In my experience introverts are horrible at advising jobs. I've clashed with almost every introverted adviser or counselor. They are way too into themselves, they overgeneralize, they can't empathize, and they are difficult to deal with. To be a good counselor you need to have the technical skills. Then you need to have the outgoing and friendly personality. You are not there to show off. You are there to help, encourage, inform, and motivate people.
I'm a counselor, as is my husband, and we are both high on the introvert scale. I find it to be easy to be an introvert and counselor. Being a counselor, you spend a lot of time listening, something I find my more extroverted friends have a hard time doing! Seriously, at the end of the day you might feel a bit drained from being so present and helping people through tough situations, but support from coworkers and lots of down time at home helps a lot.

My husband also works as a professor and although it is tough, extroverted type of work, he loves it. And he is much more introverted than I am!

Old 09-08-2010, 12:07 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times
Introverts are often best suited to complimentary dancers when performing in any San Francisco art-house cabaret show, since their personality precludes them from primary or lead roles.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:01 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I am interested in possibly breaking into academic advising. However, I've read conflicting information as to whether counseling/advising suits an introvert's personality. Some sources say yes because introverts are understanding, empathetic and good listeners. Others say no because naturally the job would require spending a lot of time around other people, thus leading the introvert to burn out quickly.

What's your view on this?
As an advisor who is in the middle between extrovert and introvert (although I lean more extroverted), I can say that the introverted qualities of understanding, empathy and ability to listen are essential to the job of counselor/advisor. As an introverted person, you need to assess how comfortable you are with a job that requires heavy student contact? Do you have the ability to establish and maintain rapport with a diverse range of students from various backgrounds and walks of life? Do you have the ability to comprehend complex academic policies and have the ability to break the information down so that students can understand what those policies are?

Old 09-08-2010, 07:15 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,909,927 times
while advising does, yes, involve interaction with other people, for the most part, the interaction is a one-on-one basis, so that would be an advantage for an introvert.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:15 AM

586 posts, read 1,547,507 times
Being considered an introvert is different from having a Schizoid personality (a pervasive pattern of detachment from social relationships....) which I think is what some of the posters are confusing. I am fairly introverted but do enjoy my work as a therapist. Like one person mentioned, it can be taxing on occasion but good self-care and having time alone is very beneficial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment