Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 08:26 AM

56 posts, read 220,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I am interested in possibly breaking into academic advising. However, I've read conflicting information as to whether counseling/advising suits an introvert's personality. Some sources say yes because introverts are understanding, empathetic and good listeners. Others say no because naturally the job would require spending a lot of time around other people, thus leading the introvert to burn out quickly.

What's your view on this?
I think a "moderate" introvert can do the job. I mean you don't really need to be an extrovert to connect with people. As long as you know how to make your listener feel comfortable and you have Emotional Prediction skills, then you can become a very effective and efficient counselor or adviser.

I hope I answered a bit of your inquiry, Wordsmith...(;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 12:35 PM

329 posts, read 1,048,627 times
don't know if this helps, but I'm a moderately strong Extravert, love counseling, and do pretty well at it.

the introverts I know are really a mixed bag. i feel like most of them would make great writers or journalists, but would burn out pretty quickly and frequently as counselors, especially with patients or clients who are slow to reveal themselves, emotionally-distant, or non-talkative.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:44 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,315,982 times
I think an introvert could make a good one-on-one counselor. I think being introverted more or less indicates a lack of ability in socializing and partaking in pointless banter about pop-culture and sports. But if you can be serious about your role and you have compassion and empathy, I think that could be a good starting point for a career in advising.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:42 PM

801 posts, read 1,105,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
In my experience introverts are horrible at advising jobs. I've clashed with almost every introverted adviser or counselor. They are way too into themselves, they overgeneralize, they can't empathize, and they are difficult to deal with. To be a good counselor you need to have the technical skills. Then you need to have the outgoing and friendly personality. You are not there to show off. You are there to help, encourage, inform, and motivate people.
I think a balanced personality is more desireable. I do find that introversion is too often a hallmark of personality disorder - and too many people who have "issues" or neurosis themselves and have no intuition about people are attracted to counseling. Some do not even understand themselves and are too likely to be receptive to pop psychology.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:01 PM

853 posts, read 4,044,654 times
I think that an introverted person could be a great advisor, they will listen better on average, and not need to dominate the conversation. They'd probably be especially effective with extroverted clients. However, I think because an introverted person needs to be alone to recharge, they will be more likely than an extroverted person to get tired of talking to people all day.

What are the other pieces of your personality? Do you know your Myers Briggs Type?

Old 09-09-2010, 08:27 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,109,517 times
I'm a career advisor and since I'm a introvert I do better at one on one counseling instead of talking to a group of people at one time. I'm trying to get better at public speaking.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,989,708 times
Introverts from waht i have seen are more likely to go into this type of study but really not that good at helping others because of their own preceived problems they see themselves as having.Its kind of like the overweight giving advise to the person wanting to get in shape from what I have seen.Lacking in gaining confidence from the person being advised.That is why motivational speakers and those listened to most are extraverts.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:11 AM

836 posts, read 1,781,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I'm a career advisor and since I'm a introvert I do better at one on one counseling instead of talking to a group of people at one time. I'm trying to get better at public speaking.
Bingo!

Introverts DO really good in one on one, and ARE really good listeners (my common problem with doctors and other "help" professionals - they DO NOT listen, therefore can not help effectively!)

They really might LIKE people and talking to people, it is just they need more time to recharge by doing something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Introverts from waht i have seen are more likely to go into this type of study but really not that good at helping others because of their own preceived problems they see themselves as having.
Ahh... they actually might not be having ANY problems (don't confuse with personality disorders), just brains wired differently... thus liking quiter activities more, and drawing energy from WITHIN, not relying on noisy parties to replenish it. And not meaning that they only look into themselves - just the opposite: while extrovert is happily taking all the airspace availble talking about himself or whatever, introvert might actually notice that listeners are bored, or have something else to say...

Old 09-10-2010, 12:18 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,049,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
I think a balanced personality is more desireable. I do find that introversion is too often a hallmark of personality disorder - and too many people who have "issues" or neurosis themselves and have no intuition about people are attracted to counseling. Some do not even understand themselves and are too likely to be receptive to pop psychology.
Sorry but introversion does not equate to neurosis ... Although I am more of an extrovert myself because being around people energizes me. For those who are more on the introversion side of the spectrum, they tend to get their energy from being alone and recharging ... An overload of people contact can drain someone who is introverted and their is nothing abnormal about that.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:30 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,545,927 times
you have come to the right place. nothing but introverts on CDF and they give advise 24/7 free. many would probably even pay to do so. why do u think they are on here every friday and saturday night typing away? yep introverts or socially disabled people-- not sure which.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment